Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 11:55 AM

628 posts, read 819,471 times

Advertisements

I noticed the price of housing is expensive based on the amount of economic activity is out there. Is Eugene mostly retirees? Don't most U of O students goto other areas like Seattle and Portland for jobs and not Eugene?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 04:20 PM

628 posts, read 819,471 times
Anyone? Rep awarded for thoughtful answers.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:20 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,050,894 times
No answers?? It is a very "balanced" town population wise. Reitrees...are not obvious.

We spend some time every year in Eugene. It is a very nice town. Except for the weather I would move there....well, there are Oregon state taxes to consider.

IF you can handle the weather, there are VERY FEW towns in that population group that would be as nice as Eugene.

Be forewarned it is a liberal town...so tolerance is not just there. But keep your opinions to yourself and you will do just fine.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:03 PM

256 posts, read 266,026 times
Yeah, most U of O kids go to Portland and beyond for jobs. That's not to say that there aren't any college-level workers here, but this place is primarily blue collar service industry stuff. If you're looking dor a good job here you'd be better off if you had one lined up before you moved here. For what it's worth, parents are both college educated and work in the education industry here in town.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:07 PM

248 posts, read 452,383 times
Right now the Cannabis trade is bringing lots of new people to Eugene. Many of them have money (as in cash.) It's affecting the commercial property market and the housing market. If you work in any of the fields that will directly serve this market there are opportunities. There are, of course, risks because many have flocked here to set up shop and also keep in mind that the regulations are still being written/implemented.

Eugene is still fairly divided into conservative/liberal camps, especially if you consider the surrounding area right outside of town too.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:36 PM

51 posts, read 49,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soarswitheagles View Post
Right now the Cannabis trade is bringing lots of new people to Eugene. Many of them have money (as in cash.) It's affecting the commercial property market and the housing market. If you work in any of the fields that will directly serve this market there are opportunities. There are, of course, risks because many have flocked here to set up shop and also keep in mind that the regulations are still being written/implemented.

Eugene is still fairly divided into conservative/liberal camps, especially if you consider the surrounding area right outside of town too.
By cannabis trade do you mean people are growing weed in/around the Eugene area? I know that may be a dumb question, but coming from a state that still refuses to legalize even medial cannabis, I'm curious as to what's been happening in Oregon since legalization. I have heard that down south, close to the Cali boarder, there is a lot of that going on, but is it simply spreading across the state in general?

Old 06-02-2017, 08:56 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,552,769 times
The economy is fine for upper middle class. The economy is becoming too extravagant for anyone in a lower bracket. Rent is impossible unless you're a trust fund student.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:58 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,552,769 times
Cannabis is a separate topic. Retail is difficult with many rules & regulations. Growing seems to be the least restricted related activity.

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 06-02-2017 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: Typos

Old 06-05-2017, 01:22 PM

248 posts, read 452,383 times
Cannabis trade ~ I somewhat disagree with Sarahkate as I know multiple growers that are stalled waiting for regulations to sell. It's an infant industry with tons of regulations and it will take some time to be completely operational. In the meantime properties that can be used for processing or growing are being acquired rapidly. Store fronts that people tried to sell for years were snatched up. Many longtime tenants were forced out to make room for the trade.
The farm bureau is regulating growing. Here's a link to the Farm Bureau on Cannabis Rules & regs for growing cannabis in Oregon – Oregon Farm Bureau
There are Cannabis recreational shops everywhere in Eugene; sometimes they are on opposite corners from each other. Here's what's legal as an individual. What's Legal Oregon
Retail is regulated in much the way that the liquor stores in the state are regulated. State of Oregon: Recreational Marijuana

Old 06-14-2017, 02:17 PM

731 posts, read 679,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russspeak View Post
By cannabis trade do you mean people are growing weed in/around the Eugene area? I know that may be a dumb question, but coming from a state that still refuses to legalize even medial cannabis, I'm curious as to what's been happening in Oregon since legalization. I have heard that down south, close to the Cali boarder, there is a lot of that going on, but is it simply spreading across the state in general?
Russ, would you mind referring to California as California? Also, its border not boarder, thanks.

Last edited by Nurse Bishop; 06-14-2017 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: misspelled thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area