Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 10:51 PM

351 posts, read 1,283,159 times

Advertisements

Looking for a "grocery store" that has Great Meat..... Roth's in Salem has to be one of the best....

Sausage... Looking for good stuff that is made fresh and does NOT come pre-packaged (looking for links not bulk sausage).... How about USDA Angus Choice..... (Roth's has it and believe it or not.... when I visit Salem I take a cooler with me.... sure would like to find a local store)

Produce.... any recommendations on buying fresh produce

Bakery.... recommendations on a local bakery.... Any bakery outlets..... also Looking for Sheepherder bread (looks like a round sourdough loaf) I can not find it here in OR.

And if I could find all the above in a "local" market that would be great

And Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 12:21 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,043,217 times
For a good local market with good breads, meats, cheeses, and locally-grown organic produce - try Market of Choice. Capella's or the Kiva might also interest you. Sundance and Red Barn are good grocer's, but I don't think they have meat. I believe all of those places are locally owned. Red Barn might be owned by a California couple - not sure. I know Market of Choice is locally-owned.

For a good butcher - go to Long's! Eugene Oregon Meat Market - Long's Meat Market

Use the Eat Well Guide to help you find good local food: Eat Well Guide: Search

I also use the Local Harvest website to find things like local organic u-pick berry farms and farmer's markets and CSA's and things...
Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food

My regular grocery store is the Market of Choice... they have locally farmed and sustainably raised meats, fresh sausages, local and organic dairy products, good organic and often locally-grown produce, and they do have good "crusty", "european-style" breads, too... I'm not sure about the kind of bread you mentioned, but if you call and talk to the bakery manager maybe they can point you in the right direction.
Market of Choice Online

You can grow your own veggies in a rented spot at one of the community gardens around town.

There are lots of Farmer's Market's in the area as well - we have the Lane County Farmer's Market in Eugene. Locally-grown, organic, good stuff!http://www.lanecountyfarmersmarket.com/

As far as produce goes, though, we go to Market of Choice most of the time, or we go to Sundance. They have really good produce there. It's a teeny-tiny place, but it's really good. http://sundancenaturalfoods.com/

I am a spoiled food snob... I worked at Whole Foods Market for 11 years in Texas, at one of the original stores before it became the natural foods equivalent of the mega-low mart it is today... and I've also had the privilege of shopping at the PCC Markets in the Seattle/Eastside area up in Washington while we lived there. Whole Foods wishes it were as wonderful as PCC Market! Anyway... Eugene does have the good stuff, too, it's just a bit hidden. Happy hunting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area