Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2008, 12:18 PM

35 posts, read 218,263 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are moving to Eugene OR this coming year (2009). We are looking to have a family over there and get married. We are still working on saving up a little more but we are getting there. I guess I have a few questions I was hoping you all could help me with.

1) What are the apartment prices like? Has anyone ever had utilities included? Is it true that electric stoves are more used than gas?

2)Are there any rent to owns? As I said i'm looking to have a family and would like this option more so than an apartment. What are the prices or monthly payments roughly?

3)I know there is a midwifery and birthing center near the downtown area. I was looknig to move to the Whiteaker/Jefferson area. Any information about those surrounding areas? I love to live in a place thats friendly and doesn't look like a "bad" area.

4) We are a low income family, I can only work part time if that because of medical problems, are there any medical and food services that could help us until we are better situated? and where would I go to apply?

5)Is there a good community feel anywhere? I like to get to know my neighbors and have cookouts and other get togethers.

6)Any Japanese restaruants? Or other Japanese related places like a garden, museums or annual celebrations?

7)How is the city life regarding scenery and being green? I love nature and the current area I live in i'm lucky to come across trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 03:20 PM

5,463 posts, read 8,182,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachealCostanzo View Post
My fiance and I are moving to Eugene OR this coming year (2009). .................
4) We are a low income family, I can only work part time if that because of medical problems, are there any medical and food services that could help us until we are better situated? ...........
You should not move until you have enough money saved so you can support yourself for a few months; the way the economy is going, maybe for many months. To do otherwise would be a huge mistake.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:39 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Listen to karlsch.

There are a lot of people here, thousands actually, who have recently been laid off (google Eugene, OR Hynix closure)... so if you are expecting to come here and rely on the public for assistance (help with food, housing, etc.), you might want to rethink your plans. The city just lost a huge chunk of change due to the hynix closure, and is stretched beyond thin. The county isn't doing much better. I would NOT want to come here empty-handed and jobless and just hoping for the best. Especially if my intentions were to bring children into my situation.

I don't want to sound cold-hearted or unwelcoming or anything, but there are just a lot of people here already who are needing immediate help due to recent business closures and lay-offs... so if I were you I would really listen to people like karlsch who suggest to save up and really think and prepare yourself before making a move.

I wouldn't move anywhere unless I had a job in the new location as well as a few thousand dollars (at the very least) saved for moving/settling-in type expenses.... also you should always have a few months worth of your average salary saved up and stashed away in savings in case of emergency. Let's say you do have a job here to go to once you move here, and you move here and begin working, and then they suddenly lay you off or the company closes... it usually takes the average person about two to three months to find a new job, so having that money set aside will get you by until you can find a new job.

All that aside... the Seattle area has more to offer, IMO, than Eugene as far as anything Japanese or Asian related. Portland would be my second suggestion. Eugene... not so much. We have a Japanese Immersion public elementary school and an Asian celebration every year at the county fairgrounds... but other than that it's mostly a sleepy sort of liberal college town.

I hate sounding so negative... we love living here, but we are settled here and my husband has a very good job and we're just lucky I guess. But, we have moved often for my husbands job - from state to state several times.... and even with my husbands good job and extra money in the bank it has been very challenging - just stressful in all sorts of ways. I wouldn't recommend anyone make big moves like that without a lot of money saved and a job lined up.

I do wish you luck, though! Just be careful!

Old 07-01-2009, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,691 times
The economy is tight everywhere you go, and Eugene is no different. Eugene is a great place to settle. It is very festive here and there is always something for entertainment going on for all ages. Whether you are moving here for college, the fresh air, a job opportunity, or to be closer to family, Eugene is a wonderful, green, place to live.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 07-01-2009 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: real estate advertising/solicitation not permitted

Old 07-01-2009, 01:37 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
4) We are a low income family, I can only work part time if that because of medical problems, are there any medical and food services that could help us until we are better situated? and where would I go to apply?
These are already overburdened to the max with people being cut off. Please do not add to the problem. No one wants to sound harsh but we have to be real here. It is simply not fair for someone to come here asking for the assistance others already here so desperately need but can't obtain.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:02 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,552,191 times
No one wants to encourage risk taking at a time like this. Everything may get worse before it gets better. If I were you, I'd stay where I am & weather the storm.

The state aid grass is not greener here - if that's what you seek. If you have family where you are, all the more reason to stay where you are.

If you & your partner can use the resources where you live to get educated, that would be the adventure to seek. It would further your success in supporting the family you dream of.

If your health prevents you from going to school, then disability may be the course to pursue & you would have to conform to the limits of that income. Medical services, if you don't have state covered care, would be at White Bird. You can google that. All the things you're asking about are on the net.

Let us know what you decide! It'll be interesting to see how a young person thinks. We wish you the best!

Kate

Old 08-24-2009, 01:18 PM

231 posts, read 778,932 times
I just noticed a question in your original post that nobody addressed: "Any Japanese restaurants? Or other Japanese related places like a garden, museums or annual celebrations?"

There are a couple of pretty good sushi restaurants in Eugene. A bit pricey, as sushi usually seems to be, but pretty good, and most importantly, the fish seems fresh enough. The one I would recommend is called Sushi Station. It is owned by Korean Americans, instead of Japanese Americans (I guess the Koreans gave up on the Korean beef bowl idea, which does not sell well anywhere in the USA in my experience). But, in terms of authenticity, they seem to have hit the nail on the head.

As for Asian/Japanese events, we have the Asian Celebration each year in Eugene. Some booths have very unauthentic Americanized views of Asian topics, e.g. girls with chopsticks in their hair...), but on the other hand, there are some cool things to see. I like the cultural dances and performances especially, although they are a little too long. They also have a big martial arts performance area, but I did not check that out last year. Food is ok too, but again, they are mostly very Americanized versions.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:35 PM

33 posts, read 78,650 times
Gas stoves and basements are nowhere to be found here!

That aside, the Whitaker is a real cool neighborhood. I don't know where you're from so I can't guess what you would think is a 'bad' neighborhood. It's got the meth heads who steal the scrap metal out of your garage and people don't make much money... but it's no ghetto. If you're from a bigger city, you won't think much of the "crime rate".

For real though, the best information/advice came from the people who posted before me. Don't move now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area