Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 11:04 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,427,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That's why I don't like the term 'light eyes'. My point was that it is like with race. Nobody says someone with light brown eyes has light eyes. Light eyes seems to mean any eyes that contain any color other brown (namely blue, green, gray or any mix thereof), whether along with brown or without, and regardless of the color balance if there is any brown as well.
Remember light brown eyes are still brown eyes, not all dark eyes have exactly the same tone. Genetically it's a dominant trait, while blue, green are recessive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 06:27 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Remember light brown eyes are still brown eyes, not all dark eyes have exactly the same tone. Genetically it's a dominant trait, while blue, green are recessive.
So? I don't quite get the point of this and your recent posts.
My point was simply that those statistics on light eyes in Portugal and Spain are misleading because anyone is classified as light-eyed as soon as they have any color other than brown in their eyes (a kind of one-drop rule for eyes so to speak; it is no coincidence that there are threads asking if all people down here have genes for light eyes, there is a certain racism on CD, the old Nazi ideal that light eyes are in some way better). When people hear 'light-eyed', they think of blue or green or gray eyes, though, you know, German or Scandinavian style, but those are rare in most of Portugal. A lot of those 'light-eyed' people have hazel eyes with a lot of brown. Nordic eyes are rare, but the statistics (10 or 15%) indicate something else, which is misleading.
Whether someone has light brown or dark brown eyes is irrelevant, because light brown eyes are not classified as light eyes.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
So? I don't quite get the point of this and your recent posts.
My point was simply that those statistics on light eyes in Portugal and Spain are misleading because anyone is classified as light-eyed as soon as they have any color other than brown in their eyes (a kind of one-drop rule for eyes so to speak; it is no coincidence that there are threads asking if all people down here have genes for light eyes, there is a certain racism on CD, the old Nazi ideal that light eyes are in some way better). When people hear 'light-eyed', they think of blue or green or gray eyes, though, you know, German or Scandinavian style, but those are rare in most of Portugal. A lot of those 'light-eyed' people have hazel eyes with a lot of brown. Nordic eyes are rare, but the statistics (10 or 15%) indicate something else, which is misleading.
Whether someone has light brown or dark brown eyes is irrelevant, because light brown eyes are not classified as light eyes.
Statistics are much more precise than an individual opinion, see. Those are based on studies which take more details than when an individual speaks on it. For example in the Spanish population, according to recent studies, about 11.75% have blue eyes, while another 12% have other light eyes. Both ratios are pretty low. Though the majority of Spaniards were shown to have mostly light to medium brown shade of eye color, but not so much of the dark brown tones which are so commonly seen among non-European populations. Portugal is in Southern Europe, thus you shouldn't be surprised if light eyes are not as common as they would be in Germany for example. Germany is north-central Europe, there you have the difference. brown eyes still dominate in Southern European populations, but not to the same extent they do in non-European populations. The idea that "light" eyes are better is nonsense, most likely based on complexes. Now if you believe that light eyes are better, it's your choice. I don't at all. I actually think that Mediterranean people are a very good-looking people with their darker complexions. There are plenty Northern/Central Europeans who go for fake tanning, in order to look Southern European, especially women. In the pictures of recent posts, I was only showing what type of eye color is in the minority in Southern Europe, in this case Portugal.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:28 PM

Again, I just don't know what you are talking about, what your point is. It doesn't have much to do with what I wrote...

Nor is it what I think, the light eye preference is what I have observed with a lot of people, especially on TV. There are a lot more light-eyed and blond people on TV here than among the general population. It is a kind of racism...

Old 05-30-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Again, I just don't know what you are talking about, what your point is. It doesn't have much to do with what I wrote...

Nor is it what I think, the light eye preference is what I have observed with a lot of people, especially on TV. There are a lot more light-eyed and blond people on TV here than among the general population. It is a kind of racism...
Perhaps, you will get it some day!
I understand there is a preference for people with lighter complexion (Northern or Central European) in a country where the majority is more brunet Mediterranean. That's not surprising due to the fact that it's not common over there. The same is repeated in Latin American countries, where the vast majority is generally even darker than the Portuguese average, there seem to be a preference for blondness or light complexion ("Anglo-looking" as we say in the U.S.). It is not always racism, but could just be preference, just as in Northern European societies, the dark-haired males will usually attract more women than a blond-haired man, let alone red-heads. Would you call that racism too?

Old 06-01-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollazo View Post
Not true. The most possible reason is that they are all related and come from the same towns, as there's a lot of nepotism on television. People working in Public and "private" Televisions are "dinasties". An after effect of Salazar. Salazar was in power until 1974, but his legacy remains.

Had they come from a town or families with curly hair, they would all have curly hair.

As to women, they dye their hair. The apply substances to change colour, to avoid grey hair, quite common in western Europe. People also change the colour of their eyes, some women use contact lenses with cat's eyes, lizard eyes, etc.

That unhealthy obsession about blue eyes does not exist in that country, as if blue eyes had some magical meaning or involved some superiority. I have blue eyes and I don't notice anything special.

In Indonesia, women say that blue eyed people are "sexual athletes". I wish it was the case.
Nah, even in Portugal there are casting events these days. There are only few of those dynasties, I suppose you mean something like the de Carvalho's, right?

Sorry to say this, but there is a certain preference for actors and actresses that don't look like typical Portuguese. It is not unlike in India, where Bollywood is full of people that don't look like average Indians.

Things are gradually changing, though, which is great.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safinator View Post
Whats the point with those pictures? most Irish dont have red-hair but darkbrown hair (50-60% of darkbrown vs 10% of red har..). A lot of Spaniards and Portuguese would be unnoticed in ireland unless they open their mouth.
The people who are closest or most similar to the Portuguese and Spaniards are the southern French, those of northern and central Italy, some of the Swiss as well. Unfortunately for you, the people of the British Isles are not close, even when dark-haired. Genetically as well, Irish, British cluster with other Northern European populations who are close to them. The Bavarians and other southwest Germans from Baden regions closer to the Iberians than the closest Brits (Cornish)! You can check for yourself the Dodecad Oracle K12b for the Cornish who have the highest frequency of dark hair in England and dark eyes in Britain, they are nowhere close to Spaniards or Basques or whatever else in Southern Europe. They are not any closer to Spaniards than Germans. I am not saying that Germans are close to Iberians either, all I am saying is that Brits and Irish folks are further away from them, regardless of hair color.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:08 AM

The vast majority of Portuguese have a different physiognomy, so even if a Portuguese person avoids the sun and is pale, they look different from the average German or Irish person.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
The vast majority of Portuguese have a different physiognomy, so even if a Portuguese person avoids the sun and is pale, they look different from the average German or Irish person.
True, physionomy plays an important role.

This is the overall image of an Iberian man.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...63_634x588.jpg

Iberian female.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...Q2TlrYfR-yBy1G

Though I do not refute, there are blonde Iberians too.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...sYn2gQlzHxFmNw

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-06-2015 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 06-03-2015, 03:00 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,191,466 times
These people are nice looking. I think Iberians in general are.

Saxonwold : You've changed the Portuguese part with an Iberian one or ... ? It's my post that made you do that ? Sorry, stupid question that I'm still asking.

Last edited by Eden Morlevent; 06-03-2015 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe