Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2015, 12:52 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I suppose if they had stayed there, he would not have become a rock singer, but maybe a shepherd instead
Yeah, you are probably related to him as well
True he might have been a shepherd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 04:11 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Yeah his mother was born in a little hamlet on Pico island surrounded by woods called Prainha do Norte her family surname was Quaresma. I know the family.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...SRQPrainha.JPG

Panoramio - Photo of Sheep, Prainha do Norte, Pico
Here is another view of the same place.

Panoramio - Photo of Igreja da freguesia da Prainha,concelho,de Sao Roque,ilha do Pico,Acores.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:52 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,738,024 times
People of Portuguese ancestry (especially from the Azores) don't look different from other Californians, they speak the same language without accent, so the only thing that might give them away is certain last names.
I don't think the Portuguese are considered Latinos as such, although it is inconsistent, of course...

Old 06-07-2015, 08:13 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I am not Portuguese, but I have lived here for more than a decade, in a town on the SW coast that is increasingly popular as a weekend and summer vacation spot with Spanish people.

The Portuguese characterize the Spanish as superior-acting, rude and loud; the Spanish think that the Portuguese are taciturn, melancholy and unsophisticated. However, neither side seems to let these stereotypes get in the way of general good behavior.

Spoiler
I eat every day in a restaurant owned by a Portuguese man, and staffed by several Brazilian relatives of his. By his estimate 80% of his summer customers are Spanish, and he rolls his eyes whenever he refers to them, but always with a grin. The Brazilians get along famously with the Spanish customers, but refer to them as "as galinhas" (the chickens) because of their rapid, clipped accents and tendency to speak loudly.

I have to say that sitting there day after day, I do understand the nickname. I lived in a NYC neighborhood with many Puerto Ricans and Cubans for decades and I thought their Spanish was spoken rapidly, but these tourists from Spain leave them in the dust!

I have never travelled in Spain except for Catalunya, so I really don't know if my observation applies to Spanish or specifically to Catalans. But I found the people there more abrupt on the whole in their dealings (speaking of clerks in stores, waiters, hotel reception, etc.) than I am accustomed to in Portugal.
I spent a few pre-elementary years in Carcavelos, just across the tracks from St. Julian's. I don't recall much of the Portuguese people but on return visit found them to be quite nice, but reserved.

In my encounters with Spanish origin and derived people I sometimes get a sense of an over extended self evaluation and expectation of others. There was plenty of that in my public schools in west Texas. I generally take my choices else where.

Last edited by metroxian; 06-07-2015 at 08:34 AM..

Old 06-07-2015, 08:18 AM
AFP

I am attaching a link that will give you an indication about where the Portuguese community in California lives it is a Festa schedule a celebration unique to the Azores Islands region of Portugal easily 90% of the Portuguese in California are from the 5 islands located in the central region of the Azores. The ads you see symbolize the charities the organization supports.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...0lKATAuMQEBdjI

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-08-2015 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: Orphaned

Old 06-07-2015, 08:29 AM

18 posts, read 28,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I am attaching a link that will give you an indication about where the Portuguese community in California lives it is a Festa schedule a celebration unique to the Azores Islands region of Portugal easily 90% of the Portuguese in California are from the 5 islands located in the central region of the Azores. The ads you see symbolize the charities the organization supports.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...0lKATAuMQEBdjI
Nice, thanks.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:59 PM

Today I was at a store and as I was waiting in line, an old man started to speak, I know it was Spanish, but, like many old people in both countries, he had few teeth left and spoke some dialect like from the deepest woods of god knows where. I hardly understand anything. He looked around, lost, wondering why nobody spoke to him, but judging from the faces of the Portuguese they did not understand him, either. Was so weird, I felt like asking him if he was aware he was in Portugal

Old 06-07-2015, 02:26 PM
AFP

Quote:
Today I was at a store and as I was waiting in line, an old man started to speak, I know it was Spanish, but, like many old people in both countries, he had few teeth left and spoke some dialect like from the deepest woods of god knows where. I hardly understand anything. He looked around, lost, wondering why nobody spoke to him, but judging from the faces of the Portuguese they did not understand him, either. Was so weird, I felt like asking him if he was aware he was in Portugal
I'm going to take a wild stab at it and guess that you are currently living somewhere in the interior of the Alentejo region near the border somewhere near Evora.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:01 PM

No, what gave you that idea?!?

Old 06-07-2015, 03:11 PM
AFP

Quote:
No, what gave you that idea?!?
The old stereotype of the Alentejo region being the backwoods of Portugal I assumed the old man was from somewhere similar across the border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe