Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 12:37 PM

26,832 posts, read 22,643,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yes its very car orientated but my main point is that you still have social interaction with others even if you live in a sprawled out suburb.
Yes, there is social interaction, but it's PRE-PLANNED for the most part.
Where what Gargamel is saying is that in Europe it's more constant and spontaneous, since European life is organized in a different manner, even if because of distances and city planning.
In US only few places offer this kind of experience, New York being one of them.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:47 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,981,062 times
Quote:
Yes its very car orientated but my main point is that you still have social interaction with others even if you live in a sprawled out suburb.
Quote:
Coming from a small middle America suburb, not one bit correct. We do have places to interact with others and meet up with friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I grew up in a small city in Minnesota and lived in other cities even smaller as well as large cities like NYC and Chicago. I know what I'm talking about too and yes, you do bring up a valid point. There are pockets of walkability in some of these places, but it's not very much. Just because you have two blocks of walkability in a city of say 30,000, does not mean that entire city is walkable. People are still very car centric in the US outside of a few major cities even if they do have that. The place I went to college in had a great walkable area right outside of campus, but in reality, even for a small city of 50,000 people, getting somewhere without a car kind of sucked. They had public transit, but it wasn't amazing and not completely extensive. I got by without a car there for four years, but I was usually hitching rides with friends or staying within the area that the bus took me in. Pretty limiting.

But it's not on the scale as a city like NYC, Chicago, etc. There are a few walkable areas, but in reality the culture is not that in the smaller towns/cities outside of that. Most places to function in the town/city you have to own a car unless your whole world revolves around a block or two for a few businesses. Only if you are around there, live around there, etc. Some are much better than others (especially college towns). The reliance on the car though, is a lot higher in the US than Europe easily. Not even close.
I think what Gargamel was referring to was that spontaneous contact in the US happens less often than in Europe. A lot of what you say, happens in my area too, has been pre-arranged already. He/she is not saying that we don't socialize, of course we do. We just don't have as many situations to socialize out on the street like Europeans do.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:55 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,538,871 times
Okay i get it now.

In a random European city what would people think if you went out to the supermarket in sweatpants or basketball shorts and a t shirt. This is something not uncommon where i live and am guilty of doing so... sometimes i even wear pajama bottoms out in public!

I hear this is unlikely for someone to do in Western Europe.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:06 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,981,062 times
Quote:
Okay i get it now.

In a random European city what would people think if you went out to the supermarket in sweatpants or basketball shorts and a t shirt. This is something not uncommon where i live and am guilty of doing so... sometimes i even wear pajama bottoms out in public!

It depends where you are. Not everyone in western Europe dresses up to go to Tesco for example. Not where I was. They go in the same things I always go in, t-shirt and jeans. Yes it's not like what you see at Walmart, but people don't doll and gussy themselves up to go to the supermarket either

I never do that. I always wear jeans or a nice pair of shorts out in public. I guess that's the Puerto Rican in me, we do the same thing in Puerto Rico as well.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:43 AM

102,255 posts, read 108,238,692 times
Quote:
Okay i get it now.

Lots of people wear pajama bottoms out in public. What does this have to do with European women?

Old 03-10-2013, 12:45 AM

102,255 posts, read 108,238,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
They don't think American women are as hot as French, Italians, Swedes etc. Well I don't.
lol! Best to speak for yourself.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:01 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,467,647 times
Genes, that's all!!

Old 03-10-2013, 03:15 AM

233 posts, read 450,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Again, partially correct. It depends on what city you are in. NYC is not the only city where you go out and you dress no matter what and you have social interaction no matter where you are by just walking. Everything depends on where you are in the US. For some parts, what you say is absolutely true. For other parts, mainly the large/larger cities, it's just flat out not true on average.

It's true on average. Americans living in the few large/larger cities that are walkable or with gentrified downtowns are a scant minority.

The differentiation is fairly recent, before the "car revolution" and the "suburban revolution", American cities were planned for horses and carts, and while different than the medieval layout of most European cities, they were certainly more similar.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:47 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,634,167 times
Quote:
Okay i get it now.

I have never seen or heard of anyone going to a supermarket in pajamas - that seems to be uniquely American, but I might be wrong.

People here don't dress up to go to the supermarket - well, most people don't go in sweatpants or basketball shorts, but some people do. Most likely they'll be wearing a shirt, some jeans, a jacket - some people, mostly young people, have to look amazing whenever they leave the house, including myself, and won't even walk the dog while wearing sweatpants.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:16 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,862,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
lol! Best to speak for yourself.
Back at ya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe