Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 06:38 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,636,492 times

Advertisements

Is Snooki a dark Spanish beauty?
Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 09:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 06:42 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
If she is from Spain, I would be shocked. I never saw anyone in Spain ever look like that.

She looks like she has some serious mestizo mix in there, typical in Latin America.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:09 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,636,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
If she is from Spain, I would be shocked. I never saw anyone in Spain ever look like that.
Let's just say, Snooki is one of a kind. Literally. If you want to see the true color of her skin, then catch the total lunar eclipse coming your way very soon.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:01 PM

946 posts, read 2,919,179 times
I've been to Spain and spent quite a bit of time there. Yes, you will find beautiful women as in any other country in the world, and like someone mentioned, they're called stereotypes for a reason. I, being a female, went with the idea that Spaniard men were the stereotypical macho, alpha, romantic males, but that couldn't be further from the truth. They're much colder than what I expected them to be, I found men from other cultures much more warm and romantic. In this sense, I guess Spanish men and women tend to be more "European" than Latin. Also, Spain is an extremely regionalized country, and this means people from different regions behave (and look) quite different. Southern Spaniards are known to be much warmer and friendlier than the ones living in Madrid and Barcelona for example.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:51 AM

6 posts, read 144,978 times
Quote:
No, she isn't.

Quote:
Nicole Polizzi was born in Santiago, Chile.[2] Polizzi is of Chilean descent (including Italian Chilean ancestry),
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicole_Polizzi

That would be like calling Halle Berry an English beauty. Speaking Spanish doesn't make you Spanish, as speaking English doesn't make you English.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:47 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Rouser View Post
No, she isn't.

Nicole Polizzi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That would be like calling Halle Berry an English beauty. Speaking Spanish doesn't make you Spanish, as speaking English doesn't make you English.

Actually, there are some real Spanish women who also are that dark. Besides, Chile is a country where people tend to be rather pale as well. Women in Chile don't look exotic usually, just like those in Uruguay don't. Even most 'white' women in Southern Brazil (many of whom also are of Italian ancestry) are not as dark as that woman on the photo.
The point is, most women in Southern countries have the potential to look that dark, if they decide to spend enough time in the sun. They got the pigments...

Anyway, I guess this is not really about what the OP is about. I think we should talk more about behavior, character, tradition, etc.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:50 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,278,843 times
Default Hell no

Quote:
A Skanky Beauty, not Spanish Beauty.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That was my experience as well. I was thinking Spain would be filled with exotic beauties. I didn't find that at all. I was in Valencia/Barcelona - with a brief visit to Andulasia where it was a little different, but definitely NOT the norm for Spanish people.

They didn't look bad though, just not exotic. Basically they were very european-looking.

(I'm assuming Portugal was the same? Curious your take on Portuguese women, as I never made it that way).
Hard to say. Portuguese women do look different from Spanish ones. I would not have expected them to look that much different, after all it is the neighboring country. There is a certain north-south divide in terms of pigmentation. Plus, there are a lot of blond and even some red-haired women in the north, especially in the cities such as Porto. Probably the result of those ancient Germanic kingdoms in northern Portugal. Here in the South, though, almost all women are the dark type. Even those that are pale, usually have black hair. In the cities a lot of girls and young women tend to dye their hair blond, because it is my impression that the Portuguese have low self-esteem and thus try to copy everything from the US or Germany. Outside big cities people are much more proud of their being Portuguese.
A major difference between Spain and Portugal is of course the large number of African and Brazilian immigrants because of history. There are a lot of mixed relationships and the children look accordingly.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:23 AM

6 posts, read 144,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Actually, there are some real Spanish women who also are that dark. Besides, Chile is a country where people tend to be rather pale as well. Women in Chile don't look exotic usually, just like those in Uruguay don't. Even most 'white' women in Southern Brazil (many of whom also are of Italian ancestry) are not as dark as that woman on the photo.
The point is, most women in Southern countries have the potential to look that dark, if they decide to spend enough time in the sun. They got the pigments...

Anyway, I guess this is not really about what the OP is about. I think we should talk more about behavior, character, tradition, etc.
I think you missed my point. For some reason, whoever speaks Spanish is Spanish for some Americans. For us, that sounds as wrong as calling an American, an Australian, a South African or an Indian an English. If I was a Latin American I wouldn't like to be called a Spanish. They fought for their independence 200 years ago, they got it and they are still called Spanish? What did they fought for? How would the average American feel if I call him English and ask him what time does he take the tea?

Apart from that, being fussy we could also say that being Spanish (in the correct sense of the word) is only a nationality. No matter if you are white, black, or blue. If you have the Spanish nationality, you are Spanish. If you don't, you are not.

Sorry if my words sound rude, that's far from my intention. My knowledge of the English language is far from perfect and I often feel insecure when expressing myself in English.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Rouser View Post
I think you missed my point. For some reason, whoever speaks Spanish is Spanish for some Americans. For us, that sounds as wrong as calling an American, an Australian, a South African or an Indian an English. If I was a Latin American I wouldn't like to be called a Spanish. They fought for their independence 200 years ago, they got it and they are still called Spanish? What did they fought for? How would the average American feel if I call him English and ask him what time does he take the tea?

Apart from that, being fussy we could also say that being Spanish (in the correct sense of the word) is only a nationality. No matter if you are white, black, or blue. If you have the Spanish nationality, you are Spanish. If you don't, you are not.

Sorry if my words sound rude, that's far from my intention. My knowledge of the English language is far from perfect and I often feel insecure when expressing myself in English.
Ah OK. I did not know that was your point. Maybe because I am not American (let alone US-American ), so I would never call someone from Latin America Spanish anyway. Indeed there is quite a lot of contempt for Spain in Latin America, where I have several friends. Some don't even call their language Spanish, but Castellano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe