Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2010, 10:12 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Actually there was relatively little mixing between the Portuguese and Spaniards, except for the border regions maybe. These two countries have been enemies for many centuries and fought many a war. Portugal is the oldes country of Europe, has been around in its current form since the 13th century, there has been much more African input than Spanish one. The only Spanish region where people are very similar to the Portuguese is Galicia, which some say is like an unofficial Portuguese province.
So the people of the Algarve are different from those of Andalusia, despite the common history of centuries of Moorish rule, and the close proximity?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 04:32 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,107,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChobits View Post
I want to keep clear that I'm talking all the time about appearance. Regarding culture or personality Spain did never addopted anything from LatinAmerica, I'm agree.

Actually we've addopted far more from the USA than from anyother Latam country in terms of culture.
----

There's a lot of influence from LatAm in Spain that goes back 500 years ago. For example, Flamenco and Andalusian music has a tremendous American influence since the XVIIth Century. Problem is that LatAm influence in Spain and Spanish influence in LatAm is very ancient and very hard to tell apart since they are part of the Spanish culture.

During the 40's and 50's the influence was very important due to the fact that LatAm was richer and Franco strenghtened the links with Latin America, in particular with Argentina that saved Spain from famine during the 40's.

Of course, Spanish don't eat tacos, etc, but was the first country in the Old World that ate potatos, tomatoes, grew tobacco and danced LatAm music.

There are some old families from the Spanish nobility that have Aztec blood, such as the Montezuma from Extremadura, etc.

Some Spanish cities have a tremendous LatAm influence, such as Cadiz, Barcelona, Canary Islands and many areas that have been in contact with America during centuries. But such an influence is "de ida y vuelta", it's Spanish culture moulded to American ways and then returned to Spain.

Last edited by Manolón; 12-26-2010 at 05:17 AM..

Old 12-26-2010, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChobits View Post
No, I didn't mean Portuguese are like the Spaniards, but that in Spain you can find the Portuguese apperance also at big quantities, that's why I brought out the Spain's diversity.

About the other... I suspect you have some sort of disliking toward Spain so you want to believe Portuguese people has a special appearance, so I think it's more sensible for me to just leave the discussion.

And no offense, but Spaniards are not proud of being different from the Portuguese, because of what I said earlier, and because we don't usually take into account Portugal for such affairs. And no, we don't dislike Portugal, far from it. We are just careless or maybe SOME (not all) Spaniards look down to Portuguese but I don't think there is disliking really.

-----

Yes, Spain ignored Portugal until quite recently. Not now, Spanish economic influence in now tremendous. As for physical appearance, they look the same. I can't distinguish Portuguese from Spanish unless they open their mouth.

In some bordering regions, some people look down to Portuguese, but not in the rest of Spain.

In Spain, Portuguese women have the reputation of being extremely ugly because they don't take care of themselves, but Portuguese men have the reputation of being good looking and well dressed. Just a popular belief.

Last edited by Manolón; 12-26-2010 at 05:07 AM..

Old 12-26-2010, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
Lookswise, they are not that exotic-looking. They're actually quite plain and very European-looking. Not to say there aren't beautiful girls, just that the average Spanish girl isn't all that special.

------

Yes, that's true. The Spanish stereotypical women is the Andalusian woman with some gypsy in her, just like the paintings of Romero de Torres and the women depicted by Romantics during the XIXth Century.

Not a long time ago, most Europeans thought that all Spanish were bullfighters and all the women were Gypsy Flamenco dancers.

Franco used that steorotype to attract tourism, but the fact is that most Spanish women are just like most Italian and French women.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
I know. What I meant to say was that Spanish people are more "European" in feel than, say, Latin American people who they're commonly associated with (because of the language).

----

Latin American women of pure Spanish ancestry are more beautiful and exhuberant. They are less repressed too.

Spain was a Religious Dictatorship some 35 years ago and women were repressed, such a repression still lingers not on laws, but in mind.

Nowdays, Femeneity in considered by many Spanish women as a sign of weakness or repression, so many tend to act manly. There's certain extremism and a saying that goes: "La española es o p.u.t.a o monja" (The Spanish women is a whoere or a nun) (gross exxageration, of course).

Under Franco, women were considered as minor of age and a husband could legally kill a wife if caught in the act with another man. A woman could not open a bank account, take a driving licence test, etc, without the signature of the husband or father.

There was also a big famine here that lasted until 1953 or so that left many sequels.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:00 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,887 times
My husband spent some time in Barcelona, and he said the women were the same as anywhere else. He told me the one thing that stuck out was how aggressive the prostitutes were, though.

People are people all around, though. Are there really such differences that exist that women can be categorized according to which country or area they're from?

I work with a girl from India, and a lot of people (and it's ALWAYS men) tell her that she "doesn't act like a typical Indian woman" or that she doesn't seem Indian somehow. She gets really offended by comments like these.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:09 AM

Annika

There are no Spanish prostitutes anymore. Those prostitutes that your husband found in Las Ramblas are from Nigeria, in many cases they assault and steal tourist in plain daylight. They seem to have disappeared lately.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
So the people of the Algarve are different from those of Andalusia, despite the common history of centuries of Moorish rule, and the close proximity?
----

No ethnic difference at all, just cultural differences. They have been the same people during the last 3000 years.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:48 PM

177 posts, read 256,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Rouser View Post
But we are talking about Spanish women from Spain, mate. Not Latin America.
I'm glad you clarified this for everybody, because most people don't realize there is a huge difference.

Even with this, some will still put the two in the same basket.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:41 PM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
If she is from Spain, I would be shocked. I never saw anyone in Spain ever look like that.

She looks like she has some serious mestizo mix in there, typical in Latin America.
Snooki isn't from Spain. She was born in Chile and she has some Italian ancestry, and she was adopted by an Italian-American family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe