Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:22 AM

12 posts, read 67,765 times

Advertisements

-Most people own fully-automatic assault rifles, and regularly shoot each other

-If you get into a car wreck and don't have medical insurance, you are left outside to die

-All food in the US is genetically modified and tasteless. The only beer is Budweiser. The only wine comes from boxes. The only chocolate is Hershey's waxy crap.

-The average American gets 2 days of vacation per year, including weekends, and is satisfied with this arrangement because Bush told them that any other arrangement would be communism. And since Americans adore Bush to no end, they obey what he says.

-Americans don't have the attention span for soccer

-All the states in between the coasts are populated almost entirely of fundamentalist christians who believe in the 2nd coming.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:34 PM

53 posts, read 127,805 times
I believe not only Europeans hold these misconceptions. A lot of the "I hate America " crowd in the U.S. do also - a number of which appear to hang out on this board.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:10 PM

753 posts, read 759,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Velvet View Post

-If you get into a car wreck and don't have medical insurance, you are left outside to die
This is truly a common misconception. In reality if you're uninsured you're treated, billed, then declared bankrupt.

Quote:
-All food in the US is genetically modified and tasteless.
Take it from me. It is.

Quote:
The only beer is Budweiser. The only wine comes from boxes. The only chocolate is Hershey's waxy crap.
Most Europeans don't spend their idle time thinking about this. Too busy enjoying good beer, good wine and good chocs.

Quote:
-The average American gets 2 days of vacation per year, including weekends, and is satisfied with this arrangement because Bush told them that any other arrangement would be communism. And since Americans adore Bush to no end, they obey what he says.
And this is a misconception how...?

Quote:
Also not true. Americans have plenty of attention for soccer. The problem is soccer doesn't leave room for ads.

Quote:
-All the states in between the coasts are populated almost entirely of fundamentalist christians who believe in the 2nd coming.
And this is a misconception how...?

Old 08-06-2007, 01:28 PM

578 posts, read 3,063,736 times
Quote:

-All food in the US is genetically modified and tasteless. The only beer is Budweiser. The only wine comes from boxes. The only chocolate is Hershey's waxy crap.

As a person that loves my food I love the food in America its far far better than the Uk and I dont just mean portions the quality too.

I drink Budweiser anyways but like many other european beers I have also heard that the US beer doesnt match up.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:39 PM

753 posts, read 759,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
As a person that loves my food I love the food in America its far far better than the Uk and I dont just mean portions the quality too.
There is a world outside the local chippy. Sample it.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:16 PM

194 posts, read 1,028,556 times
Quote:

I'm from Europe and I can't agree with any of those points

Old 08-06-2007, 03:41 PM

578 posts, read 3,063,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
There is a world outside the local chippy. Sample it.
Really enlighten me, there is also a world outside a Mc Donalds in America sample that

Old 08-06-2007, 10:47 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw366 View Post
I believe not only Europeans hold these misconceptions. A lot of the "I hate America " crowd in the U.S. do also - a number of which appear to hang out on this board.
Why are the misconceptions "hating America"?

Old 08-07-2007, 12:46 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,641,451 times
The US has quite a lot of good beer. But these tend to be microbrews, not commercial macrobrews.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:32 AM

13,654 posts, read 20,788,575 times
Too many to name as Europeans tend to get their information from tabloid newspapers as well as movies.

A few:

*There is no Communist Party in America (hint: they have a webpage and participate in elections.)

*You can drive from Miami to Las Vegas in a few hours (hint: Maps- look into them.)

*Bigotry reigns (hint: We are the most diverse nation on the planet.)

*New York City is as it was depicted in The Warriors (hint: Its a movie...)

Anyway, it would grow tiresome were it not so amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe