Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best European Cities
Amsterdam, Netherlands 18 21.43%
Athens, Greece 3 3.57%
Berlin, Germany 21 25.00%
Copenhagen, Denmark 12 14.29%
Dublin, Ireland 9 10.71%
Helsinki, Finland 5 5.95%
Istanbul, Turkey 10 11.90%
London, U.K. 33 39.29%
Madrid, Spain 9 10.71%
Monte Carlo, Monaco 7 8.33%
Moscow, Russia 5 5.95%
Oslo, Norway 13 15.48%
Paris, France 44 52.38%
Rome, Italy 17 20.24%
Stockholm, Sweden 10 11.90%
Vienna, Austria 16 19.05%
Other (Please list your choice in a post.) 11 13.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 07:41 PM

22 posts, read 41,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
It's funny that, after I refreshed a few seconds later, Paris had a couple of votes more.. I noticed that before in another poll. Get a life.
Yep, its like magic no? The vote for Paris actually increased by itself. Not only that but it increased so fast as well.
How is it for you when seeing the poll results?
You must be really overjoyed.

Last edited by Gamer80; 11-01-2012 at 07:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 08:10 AM

5 posts, read 18,699 times
I would say London to live in, and Rome or Istanbul to visit. They are all very nice, though.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:19 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,502,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer80 View Post
Yep, its like magic no? The vote for Paris actually increased by itself. Not only that but it increased so fast as well.
How is it for you when seeing the poll results?
You must be really overjoyed.
I suppose you're French?

I never miss the opportunity to put the boot in, but this is too easy.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:32 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,982,274 times
Interesting choices ....

Amsterdam .... last time I visited (about a year ago) I found it to be rather dirty and seedy.

Athens .... no way. Glyfada maybe but not Athens.

Berlin ... never been but I have heard good things

Copenhagen ... nice city but expensive.

Dublin .... also nice city. Good restaurants and pubs. A bit provincial and the weather sucks.

Helsinki .... not been for about 25 years so prefer not to comment.

Istanbul ... very interesting city. Visited last month. Very large (17 million) and diverse and the people are friendly. Can be expensive to maintain a good standard of living.

London ... lived there for a year. All depends on having enough money to live in a nice place in a good area and fund your lifestyle.

Madrid ... always like the city but would want to live near Goya and Cervantes so not cheap.

Monte Carlo .... too small, too expensive, too chic and everything is uphill.

Moscow .... never been.

Oslo ... spent quite a lot of time there for work. Nice city, good 'ambience' and I like the people.

Paris ... same as London. Great if you can fund your lifestyle.

Rome .... only visited a couple of times so cannot comment.

Stockholm ... a bit like Oslo only bigger.

Vienna ... last time I was there was 1973 so no comment.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:11 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,370,735 times
Amsterdam: Nice town, but way to many drug/sex tourists. I would prefer to live in a university town like Utrecht. Also been to The Hague and, well... it was a bit boring, even though they have a really nice beach.

Athens: Not my cup of tea. In summers too hot and polluted, in "winters" to dull. Would prefer to live on one of the many beautiful islands. Even visiting it is a bit boring, sans all the ancient monuments.

Berlin: Mixed feelings. When I'm there I love it. It's probably the best city for a night out in the clubs, but I probably couldn't live there. To artsy and underground sometimes.

Copenhagen: Definitely one of the nicest cities I've ever been to. I could definitely imagine living there and I always had a nice time when I visited.

Dublin: I prefer the Irish countryside. I was probably too young to enjoy the city properly the last time I went there.

Helsinki: I'm living in south western Finland right now, so I'm going there every couple of weeks. I really love some of the neighborhoods, but others are just dull and boring. Nightlife is pretty good. Also, pretty good positioned for extensive traveling (St.Petersburg, Estonia, Sweden; great ferry connections). I could probably imagine living there, but if I had a choice I would probably go somewhere else. It's just better to enjoy the nature here in Finland.

Istanbul: Never been there, but definitely on my list.

London: Top! But only in the nicer areas. Would go there in a heartbeat.

Madrid: Out of the Spanish cities I've been to (Barcelona, Sevilla, Valencia, Bilbao and San Sebastian), I enjoyed this one definitely the most. Great nightlife, great architecture, ... But I think of it more as a tourist destination, not a place to actually live in.

Monte Carlo: Never been there, probably will never go there. This place seems to be the most fake in Europe. Totally uninteresting. I prefer spending my money in places, where not everyone is bragging about it.

Moscow: Never been there, but I've been to St. Petersburg. Nice to visit, but I couldn't imagine myself living in Russia.

Oslo: Never been there.

Paris: I like the city and would definitely go there every time I've got the chance to. But for some reason I like the other big European cities better.

Rome: Never been there. I don't no why, though. My aunt is from Siena, but for some reason I never traveled south of it.

Stockholm: Fell in love with the city. I probably like it even more than Copenhagen, but it's a close call. Living/Visiting? Yes, please! Fortunately, it's just a couple of hours away from me right now.

Vienna: I'm currently on my Erasmus exchange semester, but otherwise I'm living in Vienna. Love the city.

So, my vote goes to Copenhagen, but it's definitely on par with Stockholm, London and Vienna for me.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:22 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,882,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
In the UK it's the opposite, the inner city is very poor and deprived and the suburbs are the richest parts where most people want to live.
Its the opposite in Dundee, Glasgow and Edinburgh. Most of the rough areas, not all, but most are on the outskirts. These cities had lots of houses built in the 60s on the outskirts after the tenaments were cleared and all the poor people were moved in, no doubt it was done in good faith but because the housing estates, or "schemes" as they are called in Scotland, are far from shops, jobs etc it had a secluded effect and they became notorious for drug, alcohol abuse and crime.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:07 AM

11,081 posts, read 12,566,881 times
I used to live in Moscow. It's probably the easiest place in to get around that I've ever been to. Moscow is expensive mostly in rent. This can be easily avoided by not living in the center. I feel that people complain about Moscow's expensiveness in the same way they complain about New York- not many people can afford to live in midtown Manhattan, but that doesn't mean no one can live in NYC. If you enjoy cultural amenities, it's hard to beat the Russian capital.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:01 AM

62,264 posts, read 88,157,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Berlin is anything but boring. It's a cosmopolitan and diverse city, but with a fairly large amount of grit. It's also incredibly vibrant and has a great mass transit system for getting around.

I agree! Berlin is a very interesting city and anything but boring. I would love to LIVE there.

BTW: no one mentioned Cracow or Prague. Both worth a visit.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:37 AM

272 posts, read 910,582 times
The best small city/town in Europe is Ribadavia. Good food and wine and ridiculous prices compared to cities near the artic circle. Almost no tourists, architecture is marvelous and they have a restaurant with more than 1200 wine labels were you can eat for under 10-20 euros. The landscape is very green, with a very large river just besides. They speak Ribadavian, Galician, Portunyol, Spanish, English and Orujish. A wine trading city were most people descend from conversed Jews, but they also have beautiful women of Briton and Suevian ancestry. They do not have any defined religion, but if you tell them you are a Baptist, they will agree with you.

They are always raising money and asking for the reconstriction of their gigantic sinagogue, that survived until a century ago as a ruin, but the money always get lost or is spent in some festivity. The central government (there is nothing central in this part of the world) believes that reconstructing a ruin almost from scratch would be rather kitsch, others are in favour.

Ribadavia will remind you of Mississipi, their river is not that big but people are equally friendly and their moonshine and food are better. During the summer, the become medieval and do not accept Euros, but a medieval currency they coin for the occasion.

People in Ribadavia are not poor, but they are always complaining. Even considering the fact that they are big wine producers and merchants, and they also produce a LOT of bootleg moonshine, their favourite drink is Scottish Malt Whisky, I believe they are the biggest consumers per capita of Scottish Malt Whisky in the world.

Last edited by Pizarro; 11-08-2012 at 05:02 AM..

Old 11-08-2012, 05:51 AM

22 posts, read 41,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
I suppose you're French?

I never miss the opportunity to put the boot in, but this is too easy.
Yes, well I guess it is easy to complain about poll selection votes rising so fast.
Your good at that so Ill agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe