Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 04:31 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,435,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
So the question posed here 'what ethnic groups sunburn?' Can be answered with 'the British' can it? I don't think so, because despite what some people on here seem to think 'the British' are not an ethnic group. The British are not all the same colour, the British aren't even all the same race. In fact you could argue that as Britain has a much higher ratio of black skinned British citizens than Sweden it could well be that 'on average' they don't burn as easily as 'Swedes', unless of course you also just don't count black people as 'proper' Britons purely because of their skin tone? The whole thing is just stereotypical nonsence.
Of course not! It cannot be answered by British. I repeatedly that said that at least all European groups/ethnic do burn to some extent. However who have the ability to sunburn the most are in northwestern Europe, particularly in the British Isles and Scandinavia.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:52 AM

In most European populations, skin type I is usually linked to those who have red/light blonde hair, blue/green eyes, lots freckles as well. However within the Celtic segment, the ratio of people who even have dark brown hair and skin type I is common. Perhaps this will those are still confused to understand, why despite the fact that the North Germanic ethnic group has a high frequency of people with light and blonde hair, they are still as a whole more likely to tan than Celtic are as rule darker-haired than them.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:27 AM

217 posts, read 326,087 times
We all sunburn, but it's just a matter of what happens afterwards. As a Greek, by having olive skin, I tan really easily.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:12 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Of course not! It cannot be answered by British. I repeatedly that said that at least all European groups/ethnic do burn to some extent. However who have the ability to sunburn the most are in northwestern Europe, particularly in the British Isles and Scandinavia.
You are still suggesting that 'the British' sunburn 'the most' yet I am British and I don't burn particularly easily, my sister is British and neither does she! So you simply cannot say 'the British' sunburn the most! Look out of the 50 or so people that I know in my immediate family (aunts, uncles, cousins, nephews and nieces) I can categorically say there are blondes, brunettes, blue eyes, brown eyes, green eyes and just about every skin tone you can think of - we are not all ginger, we ARE all very British AND we share the same ancestors. Like EVERY other British family we are a mixed bunch, the perceptions you have are just that, stereotypical perceptions, and to be honest with you I am suprised that in the 21st century people still seem to think this way. What's next? Germans are an aryian master race just because they were born in Germany? The Finns are the most blubberiest because of all that cold weather? The Swiss have the biggest leg muscles because they always walk up mountains!?

Old 02-15-2014, 07:35 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
Only blacks are immune.

Sorry, I hate to bust your bubble but blacks can get sunburn especially the lighter skinned ones. The reason that you don't see it too often is because very few stay out in the sun long enought to get burn nor do they have a desire to get darker

Old 02-15-2014, 08:04 PM

237 posts, read 674,076 times
Quote:
You are still suggesting that 'the British' sunburn 'the most' yet I am British and I don't burn particularly easily, my sister is British and neither does she! So you simply cannot say 'the British' sunburn the most! Look out of the 50 or so people that I know in my immediate family (aunts, uncles, cousins, nephews and nieces) I can categorically say there are blondes, brunettes, blue eyes, brown eyes, green eyes and just about every skin tone you can think of - we are not all ginger, we ARE all very British AND we share the same ancestors. Like EVERY other British family we are a mixed bunch, the perceptions you have are just that, stereotypical perceptions, and to be honest with you I am suprised that in the 21st century people still seem to think this way. What's next? Germans are an aryian master race just because they were born in Germany? The Finns are the most blubberiest because of all that cold weather? The Swiss have the biggest leg muscles because they always walk up mountains!?
I think French User summed it up. You have no concept of statistics, average, or percentage. English don't look this way on average because I don't look this way? That's nothing but a dim disposition to bring to a forum like this. The average temperature can't be what they say, because it's been so cold this week. Average height can't be what they say it is, because myself and everyone in my family isn't that height. There are lots of flakey, egocentric, and anecdotal examples one can give. Accept the fact that you and your family are dark and darker than average, and quit trying to obscure the topic even more by claiming there are no ethnic native English people, and the Jamaicans across the street being no less English.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
You don't get it , but the day will come when it'll finally sink in. You'll be alright!

Old 02-17-2014, 05:00 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmega View Post
I think French User summed it up. You have no concept of statistics, average, or percentage. English don't look this way on average because I don't look this way? That's nothing but a dim disposition to bring to a forum like this. The average temperature can't be what they say, because it's been so cold this week. Average height can't be what they say it is, because myself and everyone in my family isn't that height. There are lots of flakey, egocentric, and anecdotal examples one can give. Accept the fact that you and your family are dark and darker than average, and quit trying to obscure the topic even more by claiming there are no ethnic native English people, and the Jamaicans across the street being no less English.
The point is I do have a concept of the average Briton, I am British and I live here! The 'average' Briton is NOT ginger haired and pale skinned, all you are doing is running off old 'stereotypical' comments that have no place in the modern world, you also seem to be of the opinion that 'white' means 'native' to Briton when in fact 'white' people are also from many places other than Briton, including many white people in Briton. It seems to me that many Europeans still have a set idea on race - whether you can accept the notion or not there ARE black Britons that are born and bred in the UK and who's parents were born and bred in the UK and there are white Britons who's parents were NOT born and bred in the UK, so I ask you this, who would be the most 'British'? If you want to start making ridiculous statements like 'the British burn the easiest' then you will have to include black people too - because there are black Britons, your comment of 'Jamaicans accross the street' sums it up nicely, you obviously don't consider a black Briton as British because of nothing more than the colour of their skin (to you they will always be 'Jamaican'). If you want to start this 'native British' nonsense then perhaps you could clarify further - what is your opinion of a 'native' Briton? Pure Anglo Saxon? Pure Scandinavian? Pure Celtic? Only Britons that are ginger? Ginger and Blondes perhaps? The fact is you can't because there is no such thing as a pure 'Celtic' Briton, nor a pure 'Anglo Saxon' Briton but rather that (like Ive said) Britons are a mix of many ancestoral genes. Until mankind realises we are never going to move on from this racial departmentalisation b*ll****. I am only giving myself as an example, but I am British, I am dark haired I couldnt tell you my ancestory all the way back to the druids but I can gaurantee that my genes have influence from all of the above mentioned (just like every most other Britons).

Old 02-17-2014, 01:25 PM

It has nothing to do with racial departmentalisation, that is complete nonsense. Jamaicans origins lay in the African continent, they were brought recently to the Carribeans by the Trans-Atlantic slave trade, any intelligent and educated person would know that. It is even sung in many of the Reggae songs as well, as the Rastafarian religion reminds where Afro-Carribeans came from. Yes black or dark skin is an adaptation to hot climates, their ancestors lived in a Tropical climate where sunlight could be harmful to the skin, especially if you are fair-skinned. In those primitive times where man wore very little clothing, dark skin was nature's perfect answer for protection from UV rays. By you giving yourself as an example is not enough to make a complete statistics, that's why pofessional studies are there for!

Old 02-17-2014, 02:09 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,535,208 times
I think it's time to put this debate to bed. It is safe to say that those of the British isles are fairer than other Europeans in general and those more prone to sunburn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe