Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 05:31 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times

Advertisements

Oh, and Gaeta wasn't the only place I visited in Italy. Also went to Livorno, Pisa, Forenza, Bari, Brendisi, Ancona, Trieste, and Venice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 03:56 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
I am just warning some that are not streetwise to stop daydreaming, or else they could run into trouble in Paris (persistent streetvendors/beggars, romanian pickpockets, rude commuters, rude salespersons/waiters, arrogant police force, dangerous drivers,etc).
And pleeeaze, for their own sake, avoid the Northeastern arrondissements. You'll thank me later for my sound advice!
(remember, I've been living there since my birth more than a half century ago...)

Old 08-13-2012, 08:57 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
In my experience, Parisians are wonderful. Maybe they're rude to each other, like some New Yorkers...? Maybe they've developed a tough shell towards each other.
New Yorkers aren't rude at all (i'm born and bred), the rude people consist of mainly transplants trying to live some faux boho lifestyle.

I think Paris is a nice city, its cool. I don't really go that crazy over it at all, my girl is from France (but not Paris, and I actually like her city a lot). French is actually a language that I struggle a bit with, Although I do try with what I know. I've met some rude people but it didn't really annoy me that much, in fact the rudest French that i've met have all been working on visas or teaching in universities in the states. I studied french for a long time when I was a small child. My elementary school teacher was from Quebec, she had a great loving spirit. As a teenager I had a teacher from Marseille who tried to make my life a living hell (sometimes we could smell the alcohol on his breath during lessons). Ironically I can only recite a few sentences in the language (I had far more success learning German).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
My ex-wife f.a.r.t.e.d whenever she ate beans.
That had me rolling!

Old 08-13-2012, 11:10 AM

231 posts, read 506,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I am just warning some that are not streetwise to stop daydreaming, or else they could run into trouble in Paris (persistent streetvendors/beggars, romanian pickpockets, rude commuters, rude salespersons/waiters, arrogant police force, dangerous drivers,etc).
And pleeeaze, for their own sake, avoid the Northeastern arrondissements. You'll thank me later for my sound advice!
(remember, I've been living there since my birth more than a half century ago...)

Sounds like Barcelona, we have some rough "banlieus" but not comparable to Paris. People are not rude, as yet....tourism is new here and some people are becoming very tired..

Tourists don't care...They have their schedule they have to meet, they board the tourist bus and visit ten places and that's about it.

And all the Romanian pickpockets are in those stops dressed as tourists, and the police can't say a thing because were are hippies.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:06 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquemation View Post
And all the Romanian pickpockets are in those stops dressed as tourists, and the police can't say a thing because were are hippies.
Before the Romanians arrived, the pickpockets were French. Some probably still are. North African too. Speaking from personal experience. I don't think being down-and-out is a matter of nationality/ethnicity.

Wordlife: RE: rude New Yorkers: mainly some of the NYC shopkeepers and a few other types are into an in-your-face sort of gruffness. But if you act shocked, they turn into pussycats. Actually, some of the rudest New Yorkers I've ever run into are the high-end ones who live here in NM or have second homes here.

But yeah, on the whole you're right, New Yorkers are great. I revise my earlier statement.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:03 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Before the Romanians arrived, the pickpockets were French. Some probably still are. North African too. Speaking from personal experience. I don't think being down-and-out is a matter of nationality/ethnicity.

Wordlife: RE: rude New Yorkers: mainly some of the NYC shopkeepers and a few other types are into an in-your-face sort of gruffness. But if you act shocked, they turn into pussycats. Actually, some of the rudest New Yorkers I've ever run into are the high-end ones who live here in NM or have second homes here.

But yeah, on the whole you're right, New Yorkers are great. I revise my earlier statement.
It got a lot worse .... throughout Europe .... after the iron curtain came down.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:10 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
I like France .... always have ... and I speak French after years in Geneva and being married to a native French speaker.

I have been to Paris many times both for pleasure and work. Never found it to be bad or the people especially rude. Neither is it especially dangerous or crime ridden. Barcelona is much worse for pickpockets and muggings. My sister lives there so I know it quite well. I also know what areas to avoid. I was in Amsterdam last December and found it to be dirty and seedy. I had been there several times before and it had definitely gone downhill. No desire to go back. I lived and worked in the New York area for 10 years. Never had a problem with rudeness or crime. But New York is dirty and, in the heat of summer, can smell like a garbage dump.

Outside of Paris I always found the French to be pleasant, kind and helpful. The opposite of rude.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:49 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquemation View Post
Sounds like Barcelona, we have some rough "banlieus" but not comparable to Paris. People are not rude, as yet....tourism is new here and some people are becoming very tired..

Tourists don't care...They have their schedule they have to meet, they board the tourist bus and visit ten places and that's about it.

Barcelona must have changed since 1995. Though American sailors are suppose to stay with a group, I ignored this rule and left the group. Bought a guide book and sat down to eat at a cafe. Looked through the book, traced out what I wanted to see on the map while eating lunch. Saw the buildings designed by Gaudi, the zoo, the cathedrals. Had to wait for a bicycle race to end before wondering the city aimlessly seeing the sights. Wish the opera house had been open but there was no show that day. Was a nice small band playing outside the gothic cathedral. Struck up a conversation with some of the musicians. Then well after dark I went do what your average young single sailor does. Most other sailors did their drinking right when they left the ship. I prefer to see the sights and remember them. Didn't see the gypsies while there. Only thing I didn't like was having to pay to sit on the chairs/benches in the main street. Do have some great photos. My two favorites include Snow Flake the albino gorilla (is he still alive?) and two birds perched on the tips of an angel statue's wings outside the opera house.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:06 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
Snow Flake died recently, I believe, of old age.
I saw him in Barcelona zoo the same year (1995)

Old 08-14-2012, 09:13 AM

231 posts, read 506,140 times
Quote:

Romanian gypsies have been doing the same thing since they arrived into Europe some 500 years ago. Nothing to do with being out and out, as a matter of fact some of the maffias are dong very well. The rest of Eastern Europeans mafias were probably Military, Secret Services, Athletes and they probably had some sort of mafia in their countries under communism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe