Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 09:44 AM

497 posts, read 1,432,317 times

Advertisements

That's part of their culture, their sense of humour, also existing in some areas of Spain (Catalans, Basques, Northern).
They call it "boutade" and they find it funny.
If you look for the translation, it will not explain its real meaning.
There are French politicians spewing "boutades" all the time, and of course, English are the main target.
Before Spanish and Italians were the main targets of their stupid boutades.
Boutades are different from the typical offensive headlines in English tabloids, since boutades are more visceral and have not charge of hate, more like a witty effrontery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 10:01 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,610,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
Paris was homogeneous 50 years ago. The great flux was after De Gaulle committed the big treason in Algerie (1962). People that came during the 20's, Spanish, Russians, Polish, Italians, were fully assimilated in one or two generations.
Learn Paris history, there were plenty of immigrants in the 1950's and early 1960's Paris.
Ever heard of the Algerian or Portuguese shantytown in 1960 ? The algerian protests in Paris ? All of this was before 1962.
The national office of immigration was created in 1945, just after the wars.

In January 1962, there were 3.7 million foreign born people living in France.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:35 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,545,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Learn Paris history, there were plenty of immigrants in the 1950's and early 1960's Paris.
Ever heard of the Algerian or Portuguese shantytown in 1960 ? The algerian protests in Paris ? All of this was before 1962.

i agree we did not really begin to see the affect of immigration til late 70's.
lots of angry disentranchised people that have come to france, wanting french money food and women but reject french culture and law.
the behavior in the city began to change as u have said. now a huge change since i left in 1977. we are not talking about snippy rudeness we are talking about shoving on the metro.
we are talking about ghetto behavior-- assault threatening and trashing people verbally. this is a mideastern thing a north african thing, normal for north africa, not a paris thing.
signed a former resident.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:29 PM

102,259 posts, read 108,258,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
You are kidding right ? I know people who don't like the French that goes way further back than Bush. This has becomes rather tiresome, even in jest.

I had a French SIL and French born nieces and nephews and yes, there was a certain amount of disdain towards their American relatives. We were/are cordial but, it's there, a definite down the nose attitude......they have been in America since the 1970's but, when around their American relatives, french is often spoken between them....I wonder what they say....LOL.
Nope, not kidding. Before that ridiculous flap about calling French Fries "Freedom Fries" France was a always viewed as the center of fashion and art. I never heard anything unfavorable about France. I know several French people who have lived in the US for decades, and they get a long great with everyone.

Learn French and you can find out what they say. It's not that hard.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:23 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,636,725 times
I've been to Paris and Lille, and I also passed through Calais, and I didn't find anyone rude. Parisians come off as more reserved, but Lille was much friendlier. I must visit again to see the 'real' France, the France outside Paris, outside the big cities.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:31 AM

858 posts, read 2,239,235 times
I just got back from Strasbourg and nearby cities, and they are extremely kind and down to earth. For example, I was getting water from a shelf in some market, and this nice lady said "do you want it fresh?". I didn't know what she meant until she pointed to the refrigerator. Then at a rotisserie chicken booth in a farmer's market, the man knew I wanted some chicken meat as snacks, and instead of selling me a half chicken (the smallest item on the menu), he offered drumsticks/wings for less. Oh and I love the eye contacts from them. They are ready to smile or say hi when you reciprocate. Then when we were buying tickets to the museum, the woman said that we have only an hour and do we still want to go ahead with the purchase? Another example were the flights. Flying there on Air France was so much better than flying Delta to home.

Last edited by ubringliten; 08-07-2012 at 01:49 AM..

Old 08-07-2012, 04:25 AM

497 posts, read 1,432,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post

I personally do not consider Portuguese, Spanish or Italians living in bidonvilles or banlieus in the 50's as immigrants. I equate them to Andalusians living in shantytowns in Barcelona at that time.

I don't consider cultured French Vietnamese as immigrants. Pied Noirs are NOT IMMIGRANTS, many were from Italian or Spanish origin, but they were (they are) fully fledged French.

As to the very large amount of Spanish in France that arrived after/before the Spanish civil war, they were fully assimilated to the point that Louis de Funes, Jean Reno, Picasso, Rabanne and Sarkozy have/had Spanish origin, and the current Interior Minister is Spanish Catalan.

So it goes with Polish, Russians, Lebanese, Iranians and even Chinese, etc, now they are as French as the Pate de Canard.

One thing I admire from the French.

Of course, they can't assimilate people that do not want to be assimilated such as Nordafs, etc.

Last edited by cojoncillo; 08-07-2012 at 04:37 AM..

Old 08-07-2012, 04:31 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,656,065 times
Here we go again... Yet another predictable "Rude French" thread/comment ! "Quelle Surprise" !!! Paris is not France , just the way that NYC is not the US. Parisians have a reputation for being often rude and curt and some of them most certainly can be pains in the proverbial derriere but no more than many people in large Capital cities. Hubby is British , speaks little French and has never experienced rudeness in over 23 years of going to France. As soon as they find he is British and he starts his faltering French they just love him .

Some French people have been rude to me but not to Him !! They all want to practice their English with him ( the younger French), or in the case of much older French people always are grateful to the Allies and want to talk about the War or Politics. I sometimes pretend ( well not pretend but I do not disillusion them as they assume I am ) to be English because French people seem to love it !

And speaking of rude French was I the only person who noticed that during the Olympics Ceremony the rude French were the only Athletes waving the British Flag as well their own ? Or that Bradley Wiggins was being enthusiastically encouraged and cheered on wherever he turned up in France during the Tour de France and became almost a National Hero ? The Brits we are supposed to hate so much and be so rude and dismissive of becoming the icon of the France Profonde... Yep a sign of profound rudeness I would say.

I am trying to imagine the friendly Americans waving a French flag and taking a French athlete to their heart so much they would turn up and cheer for Him/Her over an American one.... I might be wrong but I would find that quite hard to imagine.

There are rude, surly, churlish people in all Nations , I have lived all over the world and on the whole most people are nice, friendly and helpful. As long as you don't arrive with certain expectations of "sameness" and international homogeny then I find there is no problem.

Boston and NYC were extremely "rude" cities IMO, and I never assumed it was anything more than simply big city behaviour of people who are constantly rushed, and have no time for time wasting tourists.

Oh well some people simply hate the French so much they will do anything to justify their prejudice. And in the end how RUDE is that in itself that you need and wish to denigrate and put down others. Which side is the arrogance coming from ???

Never mind. The less of those Americans visiting France, the quieter for me to enjoy ! Please carry on hating and avoiding, and leave this beautiful country for people who genuinely appreciate and enjoy it.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:39 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,160,577 times
I've travelled through France a lot over the years and i've never found them to be more impolite than anywhere else i've been in Europe, Africa, Asia or North and South America. They may not grin all the time like idiots but then nor do i.

It's a stereotype, nothing more.

However.... Paris does seem to have it's own set of rules, i think i'd describe customer/personal service in Paris as.... curt. They are however working in one of the busiest tourist cities in the world and they don't necessarily have a lot of time to spare on platitudes. To be fair to Paris it's not really any differrent in NYC, Rome, London or Tokyo to be honest with you.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:58 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,493,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Here we go again... Yet another predictable "Rude French" thread/comment ! "Quelle Surprise" !!! Paris is not France , just the way that NYC is not the US. Parisians have a reputation for being often rude and curt and some of them most certainly can be pains in the proverbial derriere but no more than many people in large Capital cities. Hubby is British , speaks little French and has never experienced rudeness in over 23 years of going to France. As soon as they find he is British and he starts his faltering French they just love him .

Some French people have been rude to me but not to Him !! They all want to practice their English with him ( the younger French), or in the case of much older French people always are grateful to the Allies and want to talk about the War or Politics. I sometimes pretend ( well not pretend but I do not disillusion them as they assume I am ) to be English because French people seem to love it !

And speaking of rude French was I the only person who noticed that during the Olympics Ceremony the rude French were the only Athletes waving the British Flag as well their own ? Or that Bradley Wiggins was being enthusiastically encouraged and cheered on wherever he turned up in France during the Tour de France and became almost a National Hero ? The Brits we are supposed to hate so much and be so rude and dismissive of becoming the icon of the France Profonde... Yep a sign of profound rudeness I would say.

I am trying to imagine the friendly Americans waving a French flag and taking a French athlete to their heart so much they would turn up and cheer for Him/Her over an American one.... I might be wrong but I would find that quite hard to imagine.

There are rude, surly, churlish people in all Nations , I have lived all over the world and on the whole most people are nice, friendly and helpful. As long as you don't arrive with certain expectations of "sameness" and international homogeny then I find there is no problem.

Boston and NYC were extremely "rude" cities IMO, and I never assumed it was anything more than simply big city behaviour of people who are constantly rushed, and have no time for time wasting tourists.

Oh well some people simply hate the French so much they will do anything to justify their prejudice. And in the end how RUDE is that in itself that you need and wish to denigrate and put down others. Which side is the arrogance coming from ???

Never mind. The less of those Americans visiting France, the quieter for me to enjoy ! Please carry on hating and avoiding, and leave this beautiful country for people who genuinely appreciate and enjoy it.
Nah, it's well known.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe