Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 08:41 AM

497 posts, read 1,431,489 times

Advertisements

French have changed A LOT.

Way back (40 to 20 years ago), they used to be extremely conceited, chauvinist and p.r.i.c.k.s with foreigners. They used to treat Spanish and Italians, etc, as dirt, and they always have to show their disdain to Anglosaxons (because of their inferiority complex, they could not stand the thought of being liberated by chiclet chewing Americans, Roastbeefs and communist Spanish guerrilla).

Back then, they also had Chauvinist governments and a lot of communists that were anti-English and anti-Americans (The French PC was Stalinists until quite recently).... They fully collaborated with Germans (Petain and Laval)...while trying to sell to the world that they were a Superpower and all those "big guerillas"...either English agents or Spanish guerrilla.

So they were a conflicting and contradictory people, full of s.h.i.t as most Europeans but with more internal contradictions and a inferiority-superiory complex.

All that is GONE. French are kind of friendly now, somewhat dry and coarse, as Catalans, but they are OK.

Last edited by elnina; 08-05-2012 at 09:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 09:07 AM

61,869 posts, read 87,339,575 times
[quote=Glucorious;25486102] Well, did you read the article?[\QUOTE]
Yes. And I also saw where it came from, however the author is "unknown".
Read the comments below: the vast majority do not agree with it.
Did YOU experienced their rudness?

Old 08-05-2012, 12:00 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumiwa View Post
I know about 25 years old American girl who never been outside of her state but she hate France and French people. She doesn't want to go in French restaurant. I asked her why? She answered because she doesn't like them. An in my opinion she is not alone...
You do realize the absurdity of this opinion, don't you? Someone who's never been to France, probably has never met a French person, doesn't like them? I think this is a holdover from the Bush era, when France and Germany were against some war measure of Bush's, and so our President in his wisdom ( ) made the French out to be the bad guys. That girl was probably taught by her parents, who it's reasonable to assume were Republicans, to dislike the French. There's enlightened leadership for you (gag!)

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-05-2012 at 01:02 PM..

Old 08-05-2012, 12:05 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,490,876 times
[quote=elnina;25493705]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Well, did you read the article?[\QUOTE]
Yes. And I also saw where it came from, however the author is "unknown".
Read the comments below: the vast majority do not agree with it.
Did YOU experienced their rudness?
Yes

And who is "unknown" ??

Quote:
By Thomas Adamson, Associated Press

Old 08-05-2012, 01:08 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
French have changed A LOT.

Way back (40 to 20 years ago), they used to be extremely conceited, chauvinist and p.r.i.c.k.s with foreigners. They used to treat Spanish and Italians, etc, as dirt, and they always have to show their disdain to Anglosaxons (because of their inferiority complex, they could not stand the thought of being liberated by chiclet chewing Americans, Roastbeefs and communist Spanish guerrilla).
I was in Paris in the 70's. People were wonderful. "chiclet chewing Americans"--that's hilarious! Thanks for a sort of inside view. I'm sure there's some truth to what you're saying, but my view is that the French are kind to women, no matter the nationality, especially if they speak French. The chiclet chewers were probably mainly soldiers, and certainly didn't speak French. You can't blame the French for not liking the way the American military behaves. I ran into some young soldiers in Germany once. Kind of nice guys, but appallingly and unabashedly ignorant about Germany and German, with absolutely no interest in learning anything about the people among whom they lived, the country, or the language.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:29 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,396,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I have never experienced rudeness in France. Maybe they dislike Americans in general? .
I have not experienced much rudeness in France except for a few isolated cases. But then, these people were of the pi$$y variety anyway. I actually had a woman approach me as I had exited the exit gate at Versailles and was looking at my tourist map trying to find my bearings.

I speak French passably and they are usually very nice, especially where there is less hustle and bustle than Paris. They have also been great on Air France. Also, when speaking of Francophones, those in Quebec are the nicest. I've been so many times. What a great place!

Old 08-05-2012, 04:52 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,608,664 times
Paris in the international mind is the city of love, romance, luxury, joie de vivre, and pleasure at café, museums, a slow life small town instead of being a real big city.
Many people come in Paris without especting that Paris is a big city of 12 million inhabitants with all the problem of a big city. Believe me living in Paris is not an easy experience, it is quite harsh.
They also cannot understand that most of the life of the city don't revolve around tourism.

Most of time, tourists don't act in the same way when they are in a working city or a in leisure resort.
Paris is a working city where tourists believe that they are in a leisure resort. This create a huge gap between inhabitants and tourists.
Unfortunately tourist guide, media, movies don't help the tourists for this.

We cannot say that Parisians are the nicest people ever but this gap increase even more this aspect of rude parisian.
Paris is not a city of native living inside it since several generation. It is a city where the majority of the population is born outside it and come in Paris to work.
They don't born Parisian , they become parisian by moving inside it.
So a nice guy from rural France or a foreign country will become an ******* when he will move to Paris (only few months are necessary).

Old 08-05-2012, 05:13 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,405,254 times
I always find it funny when people (ok mostly Americans) judge an entire country based on 1 week in Paris, in which they probably didn't make any effort to speak a lick of French and expected Olive Garden type service at cafes.

I've been to France many times and never found them any more or less rude than anyone else. I did make an effort to speak French though and people reciprocated with kindness.

I've spent many holidays in Brittany and Normandy, where I found people to be the salt of the earth. Paris is just a huge mega city and almost a culture within itself, just like London is to the UK. Stil, I didn't find Parisians to be rude.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:51 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,642,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You do realize the absurdity of this opinion, don't you? Someone who's never been to France, probably has never met a French person, doesn't like them? I think this is a holdover from the Bush era, when France and Germany were against some war measure of Bush's, and so our President in his wisdom ( ) made the French out to be the bad guys. That girl was probably taught by her parents, who it's reasonable to assume were Republicans, to dislike the French. There's enlightened leadership for you (gag!)
You are kidding right ? I know people who don't like the French that goes way further back than Bush. This has becomes rather tiresome, even in jest.

I had a French SIL and French born nieces and nephews and yes, there was a certain amount of disdain towards their American relatives. We were/are cordial but, it's there, a definite down the nose attitude......they have been in America since the 1970's but, when around their American relatives, french is often spoken between them....I wonder what they say....LOL.

My SIL would not step foot in Germany in the 1960's to visit her DH's brother because of the German occupation of France in WWII. Held a long grudge.

I found the Italians in Italy to be quite unwelcoming.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:09 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,641,475 times
Bonjour! Parlez-vous anglais? That works better than tapping someone on the shoulder and saying -- hey french dude, where's the nearest McD's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe