Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 09:38 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,592,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I ate at a Mexican-themed restaurant in Amsterdam once...the vegetarian burrito had carrots and green peas in it, lol. The Chinese food there wasn't much better.
I found the further north you go in The Netherlands, the habit of putting fried egg on just about everything starts to occur. Even on my spaghetti.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 10:19 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,743,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
How can it become popular if its their version of Mexican food is not any good? This reminds me of a Mexican soccer player (who played for a Netherlands team) that mentioned his awful experience at dining at one of their so called Mexican restaurants; he said it was awful. Though to be fair it happened 3-4 years ago, who knows if they've improved?
Because the vast majority of danes have never eaten "Mexican" food; most of it is prepared by people from S Asia (mainly Pakistan); danes don't like spicy food so it is generally pretty bland I have only found one place in Copenhagen where the food is even average compared to California or the American Southwest. This is also true of Chinese, Indian and Mediterranean food in Denmark.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:45 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,492,477 times
After reading these posts:

1)I will not be trying Mexican food outside the American Southwest, California, Texas and Mexico.

2)I feel extremely blessed to live in Los Angeles, where incredibly authentic Mexican, Korean, Chinese, Indian, Salvadorean, Taiwanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, Ethiopian, Armenian (etc, etc, etc) all co-exist along with wonderful uniquely Californian fusion cuisine (like Thai Curry Pizza, Korean bbq tacos, or gourmet hamburgers topped with avocados and jalapeno)

3) I must admit, that as a Southern Californian, most European food is 'exotic' to me. Also, we lack restaurant choices that offer diversity within those cuisines (like Northern Italian vs Roman or Sicilian etc) outside of a few quite expensive locales. Unlike Mexican, Korean, Japanese and Vietnamese food in L.A. where you can find restaurants that serve food from quite a range of their respective regions with fresh ingredients, but yet can still be considered a 'common whole-in-the-wall'.

and

4)I can't wait to travel to Europe to try their local cuisines. I've had "European" food stateside (though not much outside of Italian and some French, honestly) and they've been great so far, but I'm sure it will blow my mind over there.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:41 PM

83 posts, read 518,614 times
There are a few mexican restaurants where I live but they are somewhat expensive, the best mexican food I had was when I was in California, I enjoyed their tacos and tortas, their horchata was very very good, different from the horchata of Spain, the Europeans who have tried mexican food have liked it but to answer your question, mexican food is not truly popular

Old 06-14-2013, 04:18 AM

52 posts, read 173,447 times
People in Europe are into a health fad, quite similar to the one experienced in the US 40 years ago. Obesity is growing exponentially in Europe, and Mexican food, no matter how interesisting and tasty, is considered fattening, not healthy. And since Mexican food has been partly introduced by junk food franchises, their rep is down to minimums.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:29 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,423,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
After reading these posts:

1)I will not be trying Mexican food outside the American Southwest, California, Texas and Mexico.

2)I feel extremely blessed to live in Los Angeles, where incredibly authentic Mexican, Korean, Chinese, Indian, Salvadorean, Taiwanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, Ethiopian, Armenian (etc, etc, etc) all co-exist along with wonderful uniquely Californian fusion cuisine (like Thai Curry Pizza, Korean bbq tacos, or gourmet hamburgers topped with avocados and jalapeno)
This is so true. We in California really have more options than it's possible to eat LOL. The best Mexican Food to me was in San Diego. Even here in Norcal, I don't like it very much. Nothing like well marinated Carne Asada (done in beer, orangejuice, lemos juice and salt) with salsa made from tomatoes, Jalapenos and Seranos, Onions and Cilantro. properly prepared flower tortillas. Not too much of a Guac fan myself. I would imagine that most of these ingredients are available in Europe, it's just a matter of knowing how to combine them.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:36 AM

People here are mostly into Km 0, market food. Local products grown locally...also into Slow food, all concepts originated in the US. You can find every ethnic foods, but since people are obsessed with weight and there are many health nuts, there are 5 Japanese, Vegan or Indian Vegan per person. Also, for me the best, hundred of restaurants preparing local food with local products bought at local markets, cocina de mercado. Franchises are not in vogue, of foods not considered healthy.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,086,540 times
Well, I just got back from England, where we ate one meal at a place called "Damn Yankees." Supposedly it was "American food." It was a pitiful attempt at American food. The nachos (I hate to even call them that) were HORRID. No flavor whatsoever. The hamburgers were also pathetic. I had a club sandwich. It seemed a safe bet. It was OK at best. Never again!

However, I will say that I was very pleasantly surprised at the tastiness of traditional English food. They should stick with that - and curries.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:49 AM

6,469 posts, read 8,203,529 times
It is probarly the equivalent of T.G.I. Friday's. That means yucky food.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:30 AM

American franchises are exactly the same here, except that usually far more expensive. Probably Damn Yankees is a British franchise, but there are many American ones serving supposedly American food. Those places are packed with American tourists, and really, travelling to Europe to eat at those joints..!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe