Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:50 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,872,208 times

Advertisements

The *original* question was

is Mexican food popular in Europe?

So ... I think, it is getting more popular (I only lived there in the 80's and early 90's).(From some of the *on track* answers ...)Whether it is *truly* Mexican, is up for a long debate ...Not really part of the original question, or ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 10:58 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,801,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I see you ignored my previous message so I'll ask again what type of "Mexican" food have you eaten; it's highly likely you've only tried Tex-Mex not authentic Mexican? Also, when you say Mexican food should stay in Mexico does that include chocolate, tomato, and Vanilla? Many of these originated in Mexico; I should probably include patato as well which originated in Peru but since it's not originally American you might also take issue with it?
Peruvian is pretty good. I just can't stand Mexican food and can't believe anybody expects Europe with its long and diverse culinary traditions to fall for cheap Mexican food. It's simply hillarious.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:03 AM

1,200 posts, read 1,607,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Peruvian is pretty good. I just can't stand Mexican food and can't believe anybody expects Europe with its long and diverse culinary traditions to fall for cheap Mexican food. It's simply hillarious.
Mexican, Indian and Chinese are considered to be the most varied in the world, so I still think you have likely not been exposed to most Mexican food or authentic one. As someone else mentioned there is more to Mexican food than burritos, Nachos, Fajitas (all three of which are Tex-Mex and not that popular in Mexico).

Old 10-07-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Mexican, Indian and Chinese are considered to be the most varied in the world, so I still think you have likely not been exposed to most Mexican food or authentic one. As someone else mentioned there is more to Mexican food than burritos, Nachos, Fajitas (all three of which are Tex-Mex and not that popular in Mexico).
By whom? Have you ever been to Europe and ralized that cuisine changes every few hundred miles? Mexican is boring. Give it a rest already.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:15 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,395,081 times
Quote:
How is spghetti and meatballsand everyday thing in Brooklyn?
Yeah, it's Baked Ziti, not spaghetti and meatballs.

:-)

Old 10-07-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
By whom? Have you ever been to Europe and ralized that cuisine changes every few hundred miles? Mexican is boring. Give it a rest already.
According to food experts, Mexican food also varies by each state in Mexico for that reason I wouldn't even be able to describe foods from states I have never been too. Also, you never state what you have tried which likely means you have only tried the stereotypical foods most people associate with Mexico.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
According to food experts, Mexican food also varies by each state in Mexico for that reason I wouldn't even be able to describe foods from states I have never been too. Also, you never state what you have tried which likely means you have only tried the stereotypical foods most people associate with Mexico.
Bud. I just don't remember nothing that would stuck in my memory. Mexican food is not that great. Have you ever seen a Mexican restaurant that makes to to the top i.e. Michelin guide?
It may be good as a fast food or cheap bite but to praise Mexican cuisine as some culinary paramount is simply crazy.
Now, Europe has couple of thousand years of history so its cuisine has much more tradition and sophistication than some Indian food from Mexico. Give it a rest.
If I had a choice if South American food I would easily pick Peruvian over Mexican.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Bud. I just don't remember nothing that would stuck in my memory. Mexican food is not that great. Have you ever seen a Mexican restaurant that makes to to the top i.e. Michelin guide?
It may be good as a fast food or cheap bite but to praise Mexican cuisine as some culinary paramount is simply crazy.
Now, Europe has couple of thousand years of history so its cuisine has much more tradition and sophistication than some Indian food from Mexico. Give it a rest.
If I had a choice if South American food I would easily pick Peruvian over Mexican.
Mexican food is actually an infusion from Spain and indegenous food; A lot of their ingredients come from Spain. The U.S. version might seem cheap and limited, but I don't think it's fair you criticize the food based on Tex-Mex you have had. As for your remark on "some Indian food", you do realize Peru is primarily Indian.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:42 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,099,317 times
Quote:
Burritos are more Tex-Mex than authentic Mexican food. They're more popular in some Nothern states of Mexico, but they don't contain all the ingredients you find in American versions. What type of Mexican food have you tasted that makes you hate it so much?

As for the music, Mexico has the same variety as the U.S., they have pop and rock; you must be thinking of the Banda music which is more like their version of country music. I apologize for going a bit off topic below, but I don't like to see how some people stereotype Mexico and part of it's culture.

Here are examples: Pop

Paulina Rubio - Ni Una Sola Palabra - YouTube

Pop Rock:

Mana - Labios Compartidos (Video Oficial) - YouTube

Mexican Rock

El Tri - Cuando tu no estás (Concierto Sinfonico 30 años) - YouTube

Ranchera (has mariachi)

Alejandro Fernández - Tantita Pena - YouTube
I know of exactly one place here in Mexico City that sells burritos of any kind. They are just not standard Mexican food, at all.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:43 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,099,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have lived in S. California, Arizona, Texas and Colorado, and until the past 5 or 6 years I never heard of a fish taco. This is some new trendy thing that somebody made up. It's not any kind of Mexican food I have ever heard of.

20yrsinBranson
They may or may not be new in the states, but they've been around in the coastal regions of Mexico for a very long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe