Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 10:38 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times

Advertisements

I don't even really know. I just remember reading that Master's degrees are not always built on top of an undergraduate degree. It sounds absurd to me too, but I didn't claim to believe it.

And yes, I agree about the working holiday visa. Though, I have heard of one for subsidised language school too. I'm still just starting to crack this idea open, so forgive me for not being aware of everything from the start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 05:04 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Totally different than what im used to in canada. Going out is a planned financial chore reserved for one day of the weekend.
I'm interested to find out more about what it's like in Canada. You say, the economy doesn't really allow for spontaneous coffee runs with friends? Is that mainly a student problem? Could you elaborate?

There have already been at least two how-to-live-in-Berlin threads and some similar Germany threads. But just for you, I'll once again trot out my story about my niece who graduated from uni in the states, took off for Germany, and talked her way into a job in Berlin. She's never looked back, she's been there 3 years. If you know English, an employer can arrange the right visa by creating a job that requires English. If you know another foreign language (besides German), so much the better (French, perchance?). Tech skills are useful, they make you more versatile, better able to pick up odd desk jobs. When I was in Germany years ago, I had jobs thrown at me, and I wasn't even looking. Once people found out I knew a bunch of languages, they wanted me in all kinds of tourism jobs.

So you can go on a tourist visa and scout out a job that way. My niece ended up with some sort of temporary visa that she had to get renewed every 6 months, but it hasn't been a problem all these years, just a formality. She loves Berlin, and uses every holiday as an opportunity to travel and see more of Europe.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:51 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
Yes, a student problem. it depends on what kind of family or background you come from though, or if you are an uncommon case of someone with a well-paying job. I find it difficult and expensive to just go out and have a drink or some food with friends. To be able to sit down somewhere in town, getting there, getting back, tab...never less than $20CAD. That's not necessarily specific to all of Canada, I was meaning to say where I happen to live (back in Canada).

It is very spread out here, and public transit is a mess. Therefor planning to go out with friends is an expensive nightmare. Most of everyone I know in my situation can barely make it to the next paycheque working 20ish hours a week with school.

That's great to hear about your niece. I do alright with conversational french, having been in french immersion primary school. I'm not sure if I could manage to recover enough of that skill to make it usable in the job market by that time, but I can certainly start practicing.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe