Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Spanish Region has the best quality of life?
Madrid 1 4.35%
Catalonia 5 21.74%
Valencian Community 3 13.04%
Murcia 1 4.35%
Andalusia 4 17.39%
Canary Islands 1 4.35%
Basque Country/Navarre 6 26.09%
Balearic Islands 0 0%
Castile and León/Castile-La Mancha 1 4.35%
Galicia 1 4.35%
Others 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 04:41 AM

233 posts, read 450,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Las Tres Mil isn't exactly a gated community.

When Americans think about poverty, they are generally thinking about dangerous ghettoes, projects and trailer parks inhabited by crackheads that chop you to pieces if you venture into their warren.

They are generally thinking about subsidised minorities and poor whites that live in MORAL and ANIMICAL squalor, with lots of guns, alcohol and drugs, stray children, etc.

No, we don't have that kind of poverty as yet.

And anyways, I don't see how poverty can affect tourists when there's no real poverty thank to subsidies and the family net.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I remember driving through Andalusia and seeing olive groves, olive groves, olive groves, olive groves, olive groves, olive groves, olive groves, olive groves, olive groves, olive groves, olive groves, olive groves, olive groves ... as far as the eye could see.

In the past 15 years or so, certain Spanish agricultural products, especially from Andalusia, have been a mainstay in US supermarkets, at least on the US east coast, which was not the case 30-40 years previously, as well as in South America, at least the countries there that I've been too, competing with Argentina for shelf space.

The roots of cities like Cordoba and Granada are decidely Mediterranean, Roman and Arab.

To be sure, if you are a young person without strong local connections and/or family business, it is tough to find a job, and lately nearly impossible it seems, but I am sure there are those who do very well and, as mentioned, the rest who stay pretty much have access to the basics of the European-style welfare state, similar to southern Italy where crying poverty is also a regional sport and the object of the game is to, guess what, wrest even more subsidies.

You were driving through Jaén, an Andalusian province entirely devoted to olive groves.

Spanish olive oil was very hard to find in the US because the Italian mafia burned warehouses of Spanish importers during generations. That same mafia puerchased Spanish olive oil and resold the product in the US with Italian brands. The situation changed when Spanish importers in Miami and then in NY smashed the Italian mafia somehow, so now you can find Spanish olive oil, wines and even cheeses and ham, etc, in places different from Miami and NY.

In Spain, the obscene contrast between the South and the North present in Italy does not exist. If anything, welfare, health and infrastructures are better in the south thanks to European cohesion funds....and they don't pay toll.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I wasn't aware that the Daily Mirror reported on Andalusian poverty, but if Andalusia is really the only place in the world besides Monaco with 0% poverty, then congratulations, it's outperforming even Norway.

How could you compare Andalusia with Norway? What happen to you people with Norway? Virginia is for lovers and Norway is for eskimos that don't drink. Porfaplease!!!

No American, and no Spanish could live there without going crazy.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:02 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,207,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
It depends what you are looking for:

Good weather:
Mediterranean coast or the south.

Easy to find Job: Madrid, I would sa also Catalonia but only if you speak Catalan.

Affordable: Extremadura or Andalucía, also Canary Islands. (but you spend money in flights)

Good quality of liffe: Both Castiles, Navarra, Aragon...

Good gastronomy: from Centre to North!!!

etc.
Does this mean that food in Andalusia and the Canary Islands are pretty bad?

Old 02-24-2013, 04:32 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,493,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Does this mean that food in Andalusia and the Canary Islands are pretty bad?
No it is not bad at all, but the famous places about gastronomy and most of the typical dishes are from these areas. They win.
We shouldn't forget pescaito frito (fry fish) from Andalucia for example.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:00 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,652,833 times
Personally for me it would be Northern Spain, I love the climate, the culture, the food, great scenery, wonderful architecture and wonderful villages and towns. From Basque Country to Galicia, via Asturias and Cantabria.

Also it is really non touristy, apart from Spanish people, the low season is pretty much all year round apart from July and August and Easter week end. Slower pace of life, great traditional music, friendly people and just the kind of place I feel comfortable in. Galicia reminds me of Brittany in France, same Celtic culture. Love it.

Southern Spain is stunning in parts but I loathe the heat, the tourists and the Costa del Sol for example is IMO ruined by its popularity and too many hideous resorts. Wonderful to visit in parts but I would not want to live there.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:06 AM

2,702 posts, read 6,037,829 times
Valencia.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:20 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,144,031 times
All of Spain seems to offer a fairly similar quality of life, really. Yes i'm sure there are differences, but i don't think they'd make a huge difference.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:13 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,734,462 times
Quote:
It depends what you are looking for:

Good weather:
Mediterranean coast or the south.

Easy to find Job: Madrid, I would sa also Catalonia but only if you speak Catalan.

Affordable: Extremadura or Andalucía, also Canary Islands. (but you spend money in flights)

Good quality of liffe: Both Castiles, Navarra, Aragon...

Good gastronomy: from Centre to North!!!

etc.
This makes the most sense.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:32 AM

208 posts, read 547,763 times
Quote:
No it is not bad at all, but the famous places about gastronomy and most of the typical dishes are from these areas. They win.
We shouldn't forget pescaito frito (fry fish) from Andalucia for example.
Of course, it's only mediterranean cuisine, not bad at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe