Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 10:48 AM

796 posts, read 1,164,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This list makes no sense. "Everything is more expensive". So? People get paid more, it balances out.
Not really. College degree jobs such as doctors, pharmacist, engineers, etc. in the U.S. typically pay more than in Europe, and less income taxes. However, low skilled and retail jobs in Europe may pay more, but again taxes are higher and things cost more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Youth unemployment is no higher than in the US. Checked US unemployment rates, lately? Germany is way lower than the US, at least, in West Germany. Lack of skyscrapers is a plus. Why do you view it as a minus? "Lack of suburban areas"? You mean, "No urban sprawl"? That's a good thing. "Too many national languages"--that's funny! Only an American would see that as a minus! McMansions are a scourge in America, most people view them as a bad thing.

Oh, no, not the car ownership debate! Most European posters here have said it's a misconception that car ownership is rare in Europe. Heat in most parts of Europe is not a luxury, it's a necessity! Who cares if it's central or not? Older architecture is part of Europe's charm.

You forgot one: everything is of a higher quality in Europe than north America. I don't know why you're listing all of Europe's advantages as undesirables. You're listing some misconceptions about Europe, too. Did you do any research before posting this?
Germany's unemployment rate being lower is an exception. But what about rest of Europe? Not all of Europe is Germany, Switzerland and Austria.

Regards to the many different national languages - it sucks that driving to other countries and you have no knowledge of the language. But that's a minor thing though.

I care about central air, because it is nicer, you could pick your own exact temperature, and not having ugly big heater things below the windows.

Quality of life depends on what you like.

In Europe, it is very common that families only have 1 car even in outer cities, while in the U.S. almost every person has their own car.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:57 AM

* Most of Europe does not have constitutional freedom of speech and freedom of religion as in the U.S.

Examples:

In parts of Europe, it is illegal to deny any genocide and attack high leaders.
In France, it is illegal to wear and show religious symbols in public schools.

There are some countries with exceptions, but most of Europe limit freedom.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:12 AM

66 posts, read 83,079 times
Maybe because some of us are happy in the USA. Why does everyone need to live in Europe??

Old 04-27-2013, 11:13 AM

Answers in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
Although you obviously directed this question to fellow Americans, I will give you my opinion anyway.

* Everything is smaller (houses/apartments, roads, food portions, buildings, stores, etc.)
Yes, but does smaller mean worse? You will get used to it.

Nopp sorry, I love big houses with lots of space and luxury

* High unemployment rate (Esp. in Eastern and Southern Europe)
Not everywhere, and there are similar areas in America as well.

Nowhere in America do we have as high unemployment rate as Spain, Greece and Italy.

* High youth unemployment rate in Western and Northern Europe
Not really true, even if this was true how would this deter you from living here?

* Very high taxes
High income taxes for higher incomes only, also much less property taxes, usually university education is free, i.e you get back what you pay for

Property taxes outside of Tristate area are very cheap as well. You could get free university thru financial aid. No, even minimum wage workers in EU still pay high taxes.

* Basically everything is more expensive
Most things, but many things are better quality as well

Why not give more options like in America?

* Lack of skyscrapers in most cities
Which is a good thing. It's the skyscapers which make American cities look and even feel so similar and replaceable.

Why do Europeans get excited when looking at tall buildings then?

* No real and true suburban area like in the U.S./Canada

* Less climate and landscape diversity (No tropical or desert climate in mainland Europe, and most of Europe have much less sunshine than most of U.S. and even Canada)
It's hot enough in Southern Europe, hotter than in California. And who needs a desert climate? Invalid argument, maybe for someone in southern Florida or Nevada, but not for the vast majority.

California is very diverse, it has everything from subarctic, to Mediterranean, to desert climate.
Death Valley, Palm Springs and most of Inland part of the state of California is the hottest in the world during summer. Do some research.

Southern California have much more sunshine than anywhere in Southern Europe, less rain and much more sunshine and warmer winters.
Many people like desert weather with hot summers, lots of sunshine and little rain. Europe do not have that option.

* Way less shopping stores and shopping opportunity (No wonder why Europeans go crazy when shopping in America)
The only reason Europeans go crazy is because of the much cheaper branded clothes and also hardware which is owed to the more favourable exchange rate. There is nothing we cannot buy in Europe.

In America you still see many things that you do not have in Europe.

* Big houses (McMansions) are rare
If you can afford a McMansion when you move to Europe you can either buy one or have one built from scratch. If you have a normal income you would not be able to afford one on either continent. Invalid argument.

Big houses are very very cheap in most of the U.S. except in parts like New York, New Jersey and San Francisco area.

* Central Air and Heat is rare and something luxury
Most areas where heating is required have central heating. A/C is indeed quite rare and would be usefull in the summer. However most of Europe lacks the humidity of the eastern half of America so the summer heat is easier to bear here than in the US without air conditioning.

Central Air could be necessary... Don't forget the heatwave in 2003 that killed hundreds of people due to the heat and lack of A/C. Why not include A/C in homes and have people decide whether to use it or not?

[/u]

Old 04-27-2013, 11:30 AM

* Europeans are less religious / High rate of atheists/nonbelievers in most of Europe.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:36 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,131,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
* Europeans are less religious / High rate of atheists/nonbelievers in most of Europe.
Well thats a plus for Europe.

Plenty of religous people here though, just not so annoying and always trying to "save" you.
My GF is kind of a conservitive Polish Catholic, I am somewhere between Agnostic and Atheist and we get along.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:45 AM

6,472 posts, read 8,213,881 times
Quote:
Not really. College degree jobs such as doctors, pharmacist, engineers, etc. in the U.S. typically pay more than in Europe, and less income taxes. However, low skilled and retail jobs in Europe may pay more, but again taxes are higher and things cost more.
Have you factored in all benefits?

4-5 weeks paid vacation (statutory) is common in Europe. The average American employee received 12 days in 2012. This year I have got 7 weeks of paid vacation. I transferred 8 days from last year (27+8 days).

Most European countries offer paid maternity leave. In Norway we got from 46 (100%)-56 weeks (80%). In the U.S. it is 12 weeks of unpaid leave.

Many European countires have paid sick leave. In the U.S. it is only unpaid leave. I have got over 20 days of paid sick leave.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:49 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,103,215 times
Quote:

Germany's unemployment rate being lower is an exception. But what about rest of Europe? Not all of Europe is Germany, Switzerland and Austria.

Regards to the many different national languages - it sucks that driving to other countries and you have no knowledge of the language. But that's a minor thing though.

I care about central air, because it is nicer, you could pick your own exact temperature, and not having ugly big heater things below the windows.

Quality of life depends on what you like.

In Europe, it is very common that families only have 1 car even in outer cities, while in the U.S. almost every person has their own car.
That makes it interesting...like getting out of Portugal, you hear Spanish, then you drive more and reach France, it's already French language. That's what I like about Europe, it's so diverse.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Have you factored in all benefits?

4-5 weeks paid vacation (statutory) is common in Europe. The average American employee received 12 days in 2012. This year I have got 7 weeks of paid vacation. I transferred 8 days from last year (27+8 days).

Most European countries offer paid maternity leave. In Norway we got from 46 (100%)-56 weeks (80%). In the U.S. it is 12 weeks of unpaid leave.

Many European countires have paid sick leave. In the U.S. it is only unpaid leave. I have got over 20 days of paid sick leave.
In the United States the government do not mandate any law regards to give any employees paid/unpaid days off from work, so individual companies decides what to give employees for benefits. This does NOT mean people only get 2 weeks off from work, or get only 12 weeks unpaid maternity leave.

Most people working 9 - 5 jobs, or outside of retail sector gets anywhere from 3 - 6 weeks paid vacation + national holidays. I myself get 4 weeks off + 10 paid holidays. My brother gets 6 weeks off + 12 holidays after working in the company for 5 years. Nobody in EU gets that much as my brother. My sister works at a bank and get 4 weeks off + 10 paid holidays + 10 sick days.

In Sweden there is no minimum wage, does that mean people get payed only 50 SEK an hour? No.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:55 AM

48,502 posts, read 97,003,010 times
Well I can think of one right offf thebat. because thier likely facing what japan has for 15 years for who knows now long. Four years now and the economies are not Growing and many contracting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe