Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 04:31 PM

719 posts, read 2,670,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, this is interesting. Most of it isn't in Europe. Is Turkey considered a European country for these comparisons? just wondering.
Good point. In my own personal worldview, I would consider Russia a European economy based on the fact that most of it's economy and population lies West of the Ural Mountains as well as the fact that Russia has historically been more involved and integrated with Europe than with other regions of the world.

I would myself group Turkey as a Middle Eastern country at this point simply because it is Muslim and only a tiny portion of it is in Europe. But I don't know how integrated Turkey is in the European market. I imagine considerably seeing as they've considered the EU as an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 03:26 AM

32 posts, read 32,434 times
Quote:
I would, if it weren't for issues re: medical care and availability of medicines. I wouldn't live there permanently--Germany would be better for that; better retirement benefits, medical care, etc. But I'd love to spend a few years in Russia.
with it problems in Russia? you opened for me something new!
in my city every quarter has the drugstores.
for that money which the German pays for the medical insurance, on Russia him in a back place will kiss in addition.

Problem of Russia not in number of the population.
Gorbachev and Yeltsin deliberately destroyed large industries. They aren't restored so far. It is a problem.
For example the most part of the population puts on in clothes from China. buys ware from China. To electrical equipment from China. and further...
I don't think that we outstripped Germany. Germany strong industrial state. Russia - no.
you tell the population. No. In Germany with this problem is worse. every third "German" is Turk...

Old 07-19-2013, 07:06 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,885,660 times
Quote:
Well, this is interesting. Most of it isn't in Europe. Is Turkey considered a European country for these comparisons? just wondering.
Historically Russia has always been an European country and linked much more closely to Europe than Asia. Even Asiatic Russia is culturally pretty similar to European Russia, at least among ethnic Russians. Even in Vladivostok the two largest nationalities are Russian and Ukrainian.

And around 78% of Russia's population lives in the European part, so I'm pretty comfortable saying that Russia is an European country.

Turkey, despite its historical ties is culturally, socially and politically more Middle Eastern than European. Istanbul may be an European-influenced city, but rural Turkey is no way European.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_rus View Post
every third "German" is Turk...
Around 5% of Germany's population is Turkish, at least with one Turkish parent. Not even close to "every third".

Old 07-19-2013, 07:10 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,496,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
Currency exchange rates are based on trade.
If you and I are neighbors and each produce ten apples of equal quality in our respective gardens in a given month, but (for external reasons based on trade) apples are valued more in your yard than in mine, you have a larger nominal GDP. But we still retain the same PPP GDP, which to me seems more relevant.
Even better yet, we could say 1 Ruble = 1 Dollar. If we twist it this way, they make a lot of money.Richest country on earth.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:49 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,765,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Holy cow, can people use some common sense? Russia is much, much poorer than Germany.. but they have more people.
If country A has a GDP of 1 Dollar per capita and has 100 people living there, they have a GDP of 100 Dollars. Country B has 10 people, but a per capita of 9 Dollars, then they have a GDP of 90 Dollars. Country B is 9 time richer than country A, but country B's collective GDP is higher because they have more people. Seriously, it's not that hard.

But their population is declining..rapidly.
it is significant because it means Russia is economically more powerful.
Per capita GDP is only meaningful in measuring living standard.

also higher nominal gdp doesn't necessarily means people are richer. Norway is a much higher per capita GDP than the US, would we say Norwegians are richer than Americans (higher purchasing power)? hardly.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:50 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,765,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Even better yet, we could say 1 Ruble = 1 Dollar. If we twist it this way, they make a lot of money.Richest country on earth.
you are not making any sense here.
the value of one unit of a currency is arbitrary. PPP is not. It measures how many stuff you can actually buy.

going back to the question, do you think an apple made in Germany should count more than an apple in Russia?

Old 07-19-2013, 07:52 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,572,704 times
Russia's strenght doesn't come from their number but from the immense natural resources of Siberia. Something simlar to Saudi Arabia.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:01 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,280,662 times
first of all, russia is A LOT POORER than Germany.. or even Poland
Russia have over 100 million people and germany 80 million so their economy will be larger.. which does not in any way mean people lives are good. its like china 2nd largest economy... while poeople live in poverty.

and russia population is falling fast, low birth rates, high immigration, and alcoholism - theres nothing Germany could learn from Russia

Old 07-19-2013, 10:40 AM

32 posts, read 32,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Around 5% of Germany's population is Turkish, at least with one Turkish parent. Not even close to "every third".
I can't challenge your information. Quite possibly they are faithful. My information is subjective opinion of my friend from Germany.
I read statistics that every seventh "Swede" is Arab. It is the truth more possibly.

Quote:
Russia have over 100 million people and germany 80 million so their economy will be larger.. which does not in any way mean people lives are good. its like china 2nd largest economy... while poeople live in poverty.
142 million people.+/-
Quote:
and russia population is falling fast, low birth rates, high immigration, and alcoholism - theres nothing Germany could learn from Russia
you have information for 1991
Quote:
Even better yet, we could say 1 Ruble = 1 Dollar.
before Gorbachev's treachery was 0,6 Ruble=1Dollar

Old 07-19-2013, 11:47 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,885,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_rus View Post
I can't challenge your information. Quite possibly they are faithful. My information is subjective opinion of my friend from Germany.
I read statistics that every seventh "Swede" is Arab. It is the truth more possibly.
There are only estimates, as collecting data on ethnicity is illegal in Sweden. But the absolute maximum is 500,000 people, around 5% of the population. 110,000 muslims are registered in congregations, so called 'ethnic muslims' are estimated to be around 350,000 people, less than 4% of the population.
And the second largest muslim group in Sweden are the Bosniaks, definitely not Arab.

The Islamic Association of Sweden was founded in 1974. For comparison, the Finnish Islamic Association was founded in 1925.

You are reading some weird white-power "statistics".

Every seventh Russian is muslim, BTW. And that's a real fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe