Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 08:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Paris, but I've been to London, and I've also traveled extensively in central and eastern Europe.

I LOVE London!!!! It's very clean, felt safe, I didn't see any panhandlers or homeless people laying in doorways or on park benches, it was very easy to get around in, and the people were without exception friendly and helpful (that has not been my experience with the French - I've been to France numerous times, just not to Paris). London has some beautiful architecture and TONS of history, not to mention many first class museums.

It really depends a lot on which culture interests you the most though. I am very into British history, so I was thrilled to explore London. I do want to go to Paris one day, and am looking forward to exploring it as well, in spite of having to deal with some rude people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 08:20 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,549,179 times
To be fair I've only visited Paris once, but I've visited London many times (including living there for 7 months). London is my very favourite city in the world.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:36 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,693,962 times
I've been to London several times and Paris once. They are 2 of the best cities in the world for sure. Almost a coin toss.

To someone who hasn't been to either city, I would recommend London first and then Paris - simply because that is their order of importance overall. I will say, however, that I always found the French language, culture, cuisine, etc. especially fascinating. It's just a different experience altogether. Before you go to Paris, it will help to know some French, as the locals will be sure to tell you.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:01 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,267,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I do want to go to Paris one day, and am looking forward to exploring it as well, in spite of having to deal with some rude people.
Feel welcomed in France!

As long as you do not act rudely, french people have no reason to be rude with you.
Bad experiences come usually from "ugly" people who expect France to just like be a Anglophone country, with the same social codes then in the US... which it isn't.

As long as foreign visitors recognise and acept this fact (just learning the basic rules of french politness; such as saying "bonjour madame, monsieur" before adressing to someone, and to ask to people if they speak English before speaking English to them (not all people speak or understand English fluently, far from it, it is seen as very rude to not realizing this) otherwise this will be enough they are more then welcomed in our beautiful country!

Also, just being aware that especially in Paris (big city effect maybe) many shopkeepers, waiters or taxi drivers are not especially sympathetic; but that is just the way they are... You just don't have to take it bad, we as french people experience that too..

Old 07-29-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Feel welcomed in France!

As long as you do not act rudely, french people have no reason to be rude with you.
Bad experiences come usually from "ugly" people who expect France to just like be a Anglophone country, with the same social codes then in the US... which it isn't.

As long as foreign visitors recognise and acept this fact (just learning the basic rules of french politness; such as saying "bonjour madame, monsieur" before adressing to someone, and to ask to people if they speak English before speaking English to them (not all people speak or understand English fluently, far from it, it is seen as very rude to not realizing this) otherwise this will be enough they are more then welcomed in our beautiful country!

Also, just being aware that especially in Paris (big city effect maybe) many shopkeepers, waiters or taxi drivers are not especially sympathetic; but that is just the way they are... You just don't have to take it bad, we as french people experience that too..
I've been to France several times, just not to Paris. In my personal experiences there, the French people were generally polite, though not as outgoing or friendly as some other Europeans in general. In my experience, the smaller the town, the friendlier the people.

There IS a reason for the idea that Parisians are a bit ruder than average. It's because many people who have traveled throughout Europe come back to report just that. I mean, German culture, Dutch culture, Italian culture, etc all differ from Anglophile cultures as well, but Parisians have apparently earned a reputation for being among the less friendly types when it comes to how they interact with tourists.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger! I usually really enjoy friendly and pleasant interactions with locals in foreign countries, because, as you suggested, I take the time beforehand to research local customs and to learn a few handy phrases. I did this as well, before visiting France. Most people were what I would call "guardedly helpful" in my travels there, though I did meet a very pleasant antique store owner in a small town in the Alsace Lorraine region, who actually gave me a beautiful antique plate (why, I have no idea, but I count it among my favorite traveling souvenirs!).

Like I said, I haven't been to Paris, but I hope to visit one day. I have been to London, and spent some time in northern England as well, and I was VERY pleasantly surprised at just how friendly and pleasant and helpful everyone - without exception - was as we traveled throughout London and England. I mean, I expected the locals to be more reserved, but they certainly were not. Not anywhere, not even in London. On several occasions, locals went out of their way to be helpful. In one case, in London, a man actually stopped to help us with a map, then turned around and walked with us to the next intersection and pointed to a landmark down the street, rather than just telling us "Go to the corner, turn right and then take the second right." It was great! We will definitely take another trip to the UK as soon as possible.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:55 AM

I love France but was not that impressed with Paris. I prefer the villages and towns.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Feel welcomed in France!

That's good advice. I've travelled with Americans who expect everyone to speak English and don't even bother to ask if they do. I practice all the basics before I visit as I enjoy using the language. I get a sense though that many waiters/clerks etc are very annoyed at my not speaking the language perfectly with a perfect accent. I'm working on learning enough French to actually have a conversation (spoken slowly) as I intend a two week trip alone, possibly next spring.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
That's good advice. I've travelled with Americans who expect everyone to speak English and don't even bother to ask if they do. I practice all the basics before I visit as I enjoy using the language.
We've had this conversation before - I guess your traveling companions differ quite a bit from mine. I've never known an American, let alone traveled with one, who expected people in foreign countries to speak to them in English. That's ignorant beyond words. I figure that most people, American or otherwise, KNOW that people in most foreign countries speak in a foreign language!

That being said, sometimes nervousness and unfamiliarity with a language, especially one as difficult to pronounce correctly as French, can cause people to inadvertently blurt things out in their native tongue. I wouldn't consider that to be an expectation that others respond in English though, or even understand it. It would be more along the lines of a nervous default.

I'm not saying what you've experienced with your traveling companions didn't happen. I'm just saying that I wouldn't assume that's the mindset of many international travelers - nope, not even Americans!

Quote:
I get a sense though that many waiters/clerks etc are very annoyed at my not speaking the language perfectly with a perfect accent. I'm working on learning enough French to actually have a conversation (spoken slowly) as I intend a two week trip alone, possibly next spring.
I get that sense too - in France. I have no idea why I get that feeling - but it's like there seems to be a lot less PATIENCE (ie, COURTEOUS GENEROSITY OF SPIRIT) with people who are struggling with unfamiliar pronunciations and grammar.

What did surprise me in my travels was just how patient and helpful most Germans are - in fact, they will usually jump right in, in English, to move the conversation along. (Same thing in Japan and in Korea for that matter.)

Of course, in London there was no language barrier for me as an American, but I was still very favorably impressed with just how courteous and friendly the people there are.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
We've had this conversation before - I guess your traveling companions differ quite a bit from mine. I've never known an American, let alone traveled with one, who expected people in foreign countries to speak to them in English. That's ignorant beyond words. I figure that most people, American or otherwise, KNOW that people in most foreign countries speak in a foreign language!

That being said, sometimes nervousness and unfamiliarity with a language, especially one as difficult to pronounce correctly as French, can cause people to inadvertently blurt things out in their native tongue. I wouldn't consider that to be an expectation that others respond in English though, or even understand it. It would be more along the lines of a nervous default.

I'm not saying what you've experienced with your traveling companions didn't happen. I'm just saying that I wouldn't assume that's the mindset of many international travelers - nope, not even Americans!
It's not that they weren't aware that they speak a different language, but assumed that everyone in Europe also spoke English.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:33 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
There IS a reason for the idea that Parisians are a bit ruder than average. It's because many people who have traveled throughout Europe come back to report just that. I mean, German culture, Dutch culture, Italian culture, etc all differ from Anglophile cultures as well, but Parisians have apparently earned a reputation for being among the less friendly types when it comes to how they interact with tourists.
For the record, I found Parisians to be very friendly and welcoming. I was pleasantly surprised by this since I had heard the negative stereotypes before going.

When I was in Paris, I felt like I could easily strike up a conversation with just about anybody there - even the ones that didn't speak English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe