Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it true?
Yes 7 70.00%
No 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 07:11 AM

4 posts, read 19,877 times

Advertisements

I often compare the Tyroleans and Bavarians (not Franconians and Swabians). I noticed that they have almost the same culture: clothes, music, dialects. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 07:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Tyroleans are from the Alps region, which is in Bavaria (and Austria and Italy). Tyrol is a region and it's also a state in Italy and in Austria.

Tyrolean - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So some Bavarians are Tyrolean, but not all of them. And not all Tyroleans are Bavarians!

Old 01-01-2014, 07:44 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
You may as well call a New Yorker a Southerner.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:52 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You may as well call a New Yorker a Southerner.
I second that. The most obvious similarity are Lederhosen. But even they look pretty unique in Tyrol.

Some areas in Salzburg and Upper Austria (Innviertel) are pretty much like Southern Bavaria.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So some Bavarians are Tyrolean, but not all of them. And not all Tyroleans are Bavarians!
Tyroleans are either from Italy or Austria... They are certainly not Bavarians since those people have their roots in the federal state of Bavaria, formerly known as the Kingdom of Bavaria.

Both groups mostly use a Bavarian dialect, though, which is probably what you wanted to suggest by that statement. I don't consider myself to be a Bavarian just because I speak a (Austro-)Bavarian dialect.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Tyroleans are either from Italy or Austria... They are certainly not Bavarians since those people have their roots in the federal state of Bavaria, formerly known as the Kingdom of Bavaria.

Both groups mostly use a Bavarian dialect, though, which is probably what you wanted to suggest by that statement. I don't consider myself to be a Bavarian just because I speak a (Austro-)Bavarian dialect.
True. I was speaking more from a cultural and linguistic perspective. Tyrol itself is only in Austria and Italy, but the clothing style, dialect, etc can be found in areas of the German Alps near the Austrian and Italian Tyrol as well. There's some overlap.

I voted "no" on the above poll.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:54 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,013 times
Having been to both areas I don't see much of a similarity. They may have been effected at one time by the Celts but, over the centuries, each has developed their own cultures.

Is there still a movement in Austrian and Italian Tyrol to unite as one government entity? There was when I was there in the late 70s to even include some militant activities.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
Is there still a movement in Austrian and Italian Tyrol to unite as one government entity? There was when I was there in the late 70s to even include some militant activities.
Yeah, there used to be the BAS, which was responsible for the Feuernacht. Some members still have to stay in Northern Tyrol because they would face persecution in Italy, if they choose to return. The BAS had supporters in Southern Tyrol, who genuinely fought for the right of self-determination, and Austria, mostly people who support the idea of German nationalism and members of the FPÖ. Oddly enough, most Austrian supporters came from Vienna and not from Northern Tyrol like one would assume. They were just troublemakers...

Nowadays, there seems to be broad consensus that the status quo is quite convenient for both sides... They enjoy autonomy, most tax revenues stay in Südtirol, public authorities are obliged to use German and because of the European Union it doesn't really matter if they have Austrian or Italian citizenship. Special agreements between Austria and the regional government of Southern Tyrol say that students from Southern Tyrol enjoy the very same rights as students from Austria (no fees, ...), so they can conveniently study in one of the Austrian university towns.

There are still three political groups who'd like to separate from Italy, though, and graffitis along the Autobahn stating things like "Ein Tirol" ([there is only] One Tyrol) or "Tirol isch lei oans" (basically meaning the same ) are somewhat common:

Süd-Tiroler Freiheit (South Tyrolean Freedom): A separatist party that wants to reunify with Northern Tyrol. 7.2% at the last regional elections. They were responsible for these signs on the Austrian side of the boarder: http://freiessuedtirol.files.wordpre...nweistafel.jpg ("South Tyrol is not Italy" on an Austrian flag).

Die Freiheitlichen (The Freedomites): The political offshoot of our FPÖ. Far-right. They propose the creation of a South Tyrolean independent and sovereign "Freistaat". 17.9% at the regional election. Hard to tell, if people who vote them actually want independence for Southern Tyrol or if they just like their far-right/xenophobic agenda.

Südtiroler Schützenbund (something like "South Tyrolean Marksmen Association"): Tyrolean traditionalists that have their roots in the battles against Napoleonic France. They aren't a political party, but rather a club or interest group. There is also a Schützenbund in Northern Tyrol.
They often stage protests against the government in Rome and insist on the right of self-determination.
They admire the life of Andreas Hofer. A song about his unlawful execution is sung on official occasions in Southern Tyrol and is the official anthem of Tyrol in Austria.
http://www.schuetzen.com/uploads/pic...von_Rom_03.jpg ("Away from Rome")

Südtirol - Offizieller Trailer Freiheitsmarsch Bozen 2012 - YouTube (2012 in Bozen/Bolzano)

I think both groups get along fine now... There are some occasions where troubles can occur, though...

- Mainly when the Italians celebrate the defeat of Austria-Hungary in WW1 (Alpinitreffen). That's seen as a pretty imperialistic move.
- Gatherings of Italian fascists in Bozen/Bolzano.
- and finally when the Italian government decides once again to not remove monuments of Mussolini, like the one on the facade of the tax office in Bozen or the Victory Monument, which states "From this point on we educated the others with language, law and culture." Not nice.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:01 PM

Tirol (Tyrol) from Zugspitze:

Bavaria from Zugspitze:

Looking from the Bavarian side across to the Tyrolean side:

I just thought these pictures were pretty cool since you can walk across the peak and be in the Tyrol one minute and Bavaria the next.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:32 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
I second that. The most obvious similarity are Lederhosen. But even they look pretty unique in Tyrol.

Some areas in Salzburg and Upper Austria (Innviertel) are pretty much like Southern Bavaria.
Real ones are easier traced than car tags - down to the family tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe