Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 02:39 PM

7,141 posts, read 12,678,151 times

Advertisements

Planning a visit next October...do you have knowledge to share? We'd like to rent a gite in a nifty town and do some canoeing, walking, touring, and lots of eating!

Could you recommend a favorite town that would make a good base? We're hoping not to rent a car--is it possible to get around without one? Is there bus/train service between towns?

Many thanks for your advice. Or I should say "merci Beaucoup, oui?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 04:32 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,737,715 times
For the base, Sarlat is one of the bigger towns and quite beautiful. Very touristy in summer, probably not that much in October. The south of the departement has the biggest concentration of touristy places: Sarlat, Beynac-et-Cazenac, Les Eyzies-de-Tayac, Lascaux cave... Basically the whole Dordogne and Vézère valleys bewteen Souillac (east), Trémolat (west) and Montignac (northeast). Not far towards the east, you also have other nice villages, the most well-known being Collonges-la-Rouge, Rocamadour and, a bit further away towards the south, Saint-Cirq-Lapopie. The Padirac cave is also worth checking. Pech-Merle too probably, though I haven't visited.
There isn't any river in Sarlat though. If you prefer being near the water, there are many villages along the Dordogne and Vézère valleys with canoe bases, for example Le Bugue with this company.
As the rule, the best food is found away from touristy areas.

As for visiting using public transportation, I haven't tried. There's a train line between Sarlat and Bergerac:
http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/I...m-11-72634.pdf

As well as one towards Périgueux:
http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/I...m-11-67792.pdf

Neither will get you everywhere worth checking. Buses don't either. Not sure if there are special bus companies for tourists. If not, you won't be able to get around without a car.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:29 PM

Many thanks, Rozenn...that's terrific information!

We love trains..we've found driving to be stressful where the native tongue is not our own...so perhaps we'll go where the trains will take us..or maybe we should just paddle the 300 miles of the Dordogne? Now that would be an adventure..and if going with the flow, maybe not too arduous...?

Last edited by LittleDolphin; 01-16-2014 at 07:44 PM..

Old 01-17-2014, 09:34 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,737,715 times
Some companies offer some week-long trips by canoe on the Dordogne and Vézère rivers. For example this one:
Canoe rental on the Dordogne with Canoe-France
http://www.canoe-france.com/dordogne...20Safaraid.pdf
Canoe run on the Vézère with Canoe-France

Looks like the depart bases are either accessible by train or bus, or a short taxi ride from the nearest station. Accomodation seems to be either on campsites or in chalets, not really charming gites. Maybe different with other companies? From this program, it sounds like they assume that you have a car:
Canoeing with chalets on the Dordogne with Canoe-France

If you don't want to drive and are able to bike long distances (and steep grades too!), biking might be an option. Also, in Europe, road signs display only pictograms so there's no language barrier when crossing borders. Though if you decide to drive, you'll still have to know the meaning of the most important ones.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:16 PM

Thanks again...we will explore paddling inn-to-inn...that sounds perfect. And if bad weather comes, we can lay-over in a town...

We do cycle, but as we're flat-landers, steep hills would not be that terrific for us...following a relatively level tow-path along a canal or river would be fun, though! We did a trip like that in No. Maryland, USA along the G.A.P. trail, and it was great. http://www.atatrail.org/

Old 01-22-2014, 04:45 AM

98 posts, read 268,896 times
"Do you know the Dordogne area of New-Kent ?"

Yes, I know. Very nice region, good climate. There are some people who speak french, not too numerous, fortunately.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:07 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,621,421 times
I'm real curious about those caves in the region. Sounds to me like a promising trip during the day while you're on the river to perhaps visit some of them and see how our ancestors once lived. I'd think there has to be tours there on that activity.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
I'm real curious about those caves in the region. Sounds to me like a promising trip during the day while you're on the river to perhaps visit some of them and see how our ancestors once lived. I'd think there has to be tours there on that activity.
Absolutely! Me, too. The prehistoric "history" and dwellings/artifacts of the cave-dwellers fascinate me. There's a Troglodyte village (Rochemenier) and a museum elsewhere. And their cave-homes seem everywhere.

I'm very curious about how our ancestors lived. And they had the good taste to do it in France! I wonder if they had good wine, too?

Cannot tell you how excited I am about my first trip to France..but it's not until next Autumn, darn it.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:08 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,621,421 times
Well from the looks of it you're ready and rarin' to go. Enjoy and take it all in. On my list is a visit there too plus those medieval towns like Sarlat which is a stunning environment from the pix I've seen. I'm eager to walk its streets and take in the Dordogne air.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:36 AM

39 posts, read 39,082 times
Default links

hello litlle delphin

I sent you some useful links for you
About Dordogne Perigord
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe