Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 07:06 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakral View Post
I prefer shopkeepers/employees to stay in the background and let me explore what the shop has to offer. I dislike those who are all over me as soon as I enter the shop: "Can I help you?". For me that is rude. If I need help, I'll ask for it. Culture thing, I guess.
Well I don't always expect them to ask if I need help, but I do appreciate it if I am looking for something, though if I really need help I will ask for it. Either way, they should always appear ready to help and helpful when you do ask for help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 11:26 AM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,215 times
Quote:
I prefer shopkeepers/employees to stay in the background and let me explore what the shop has to offer. I dislike those who are all over me as soon as I enter the shop: "Can I help you?". For me that is rude. If I need help, I'll ask for it. Culture thing, I guess.
This is why I prefer continental Europe shopkeepers.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:12 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,869,262 times
Well it would be different here to England. But here people are very open and will ask you like what you did today or how you are, it's kind of like america except its not false. People actually want to know.

You will sometimes get a grumpy old woman who will do nothing but say '£59.48' in a grumpy and loud voice.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I didn't find the UK 'fake polite'. I'd say they're sorta similar to Australia, but less friendly. Some here criticise Australian customer service but seriously, more friendly than the UK. Plus you don't get the ridiculous extremes of the US, with some people being downright nasty to you for no reason. We're still pretty influenced by British mores.
They aren't like that in america at all sorry. In america they are trained from day dot to be fake nice.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
No I like that to happen it makes me feel welcome. If they don't do that in a shop like Maplin then I think 'how rude'

Old 01-27-2014, 12:31 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,285,979 times
worst country in Europe ive been to when it comes to customer service is hungary

Old 01-27-2014, 12:40 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,486,550 times
Quote:
I agree, it is completely annoying... and most people hate it but shops still consider it polite and cool.

Another rude and annoying thing is when the shop assistant spies you from somewhere in the shop to avoid people stealing things, of follow customer with that purpose, some of them can't act naturally.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I agree, it is completely annoying... and most people hate it but shops still consider it polite and cool.

Another rude and annoying thing is when the shop assistant spies you from somewhere in the shop to avoid people stealing things, of follow customer with that purpose, some of them can't act naturally.
Oh that is really annoying, I hate it.Here we have this thing in the supermarkets where the security guard will stand at the door in a box with a camera. It is so uncomfortable as you can tell they are watching you and if you make eye contact they stare at you the whole time you are in the store. It is so uncomfortable, maybe its just me but I feel like they watch us teenagers constantly. It is not fair because most of us are innocent.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:34 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,573,670 times
Quote:
I prefer this way too.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:42 PM

8 posts, read 24,970 times
I can compare Greece and Germany because I've lived in both of them. Germans are not quite friendly but that's not bad at all. They are polite and quite helpful even when you don't understand the language. On the other hand, Greeks are not anywhere near that. Many of the salesmen are quite rude and it's no big deal for them to insult you when you don't like their stuff. This condition is totally different when you visit a shop belonging to a big chain. Usually employees there are young people, underpaid but with direct orders to be as helpful as possible. Sometimes they ask you so many times if you're satisfied with the service that it gets really annoying.

From other European countries, I found Swiss very rude. Once in Zurich I couldn't find my way to the city centre and I went into a shop to ask for directions. Normally if I was in Italy or Germany or any other country, it was no big deal for the salesman to help me. Instead the answer from the Swiss guy was: You should get an iPhone. Maybe it was just this guy, I don't know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe