Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What part of Italy is that skin tone most common?
North 8 47.06%
Central 5 29.41%
South 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 03:55 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,841,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora72 View Post
The poster is not trying to categorize people, they are not over the top with their Italian ancestry. They are just interested in family roots and wondering where to begin. This is a common interest or ancestry.com or "Who Do You Think You Are?" on TLC wouldn't exist. I have a family tree dating back to the 1600's based on a lot of work a relative put in years ago. I am named after a relative. All of the 8 of us are. I have a painting of Cora that I have restored. And I discovered a famous landmark named after one family I am related to. One of my favorite reads was left by a relative who immigrated to the USA from Lithuania and wanted to summarize her simple life as a poor immigrant traveling with just a few items inside a bag she could carry with her husband. I come from coal miners, farmers and eventually this turned to business men, doctors, scientists with some things in between. Like many in the US today. I am Italian, Lithuanian, Irish and even a little Spanish and Indian. It doesn't define who I am but it is nice to know how I finally ended up here....
they are over the top with their italian ancestry

Ive been to NY/NJ and you see these ridiculous stereotypes walking around telling everyone how italian they are, and how traditional they are, and how momma is so important to them because momma is important to all italians and then they do that neapolitan hand gesture on your face and go momma mia!!!!

in reality none of them speak lick of italian, know nothing of italy and the only italian thing they know is how to emulate stereotypes

there are MILLIONS of italian descendants in south america and you don't see them acting like that.... it's mostly Italian-Americans.

you go to Argentina and the italians there act normal and don't think italians walk around saying momma mia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 04:23 AM

985 posts, read 1,854,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid55 View Post
I'm not asking to be racist, I'm Italian ...

You certainly are American. An Italian would not pose this question.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:59 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,297,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njusa2013 View Post
Silvio Berlusconi is from Milan (or the area that surrounds it) therefore northern Italy. Although, honestly italian skin color is very tricky as it is not a good indicator as where someone is from in Italy. For instance, Americans wrongfully believe the more south in Italy you go the darker the skin. My family is from Campania and for instance my mothers side (Benevento) is so light their skin type is Casper the Friendly Ghost and many of them have red hair and light eyes. My father side also from Campania (salerno) is a bit darker although still very light. To think I see a lot of italians from veneto which is in North Italy and their complexion seems much darker than many from Campania.
Their are even many sicilians that are blonde with light eyes. I'm currently in Abruzzo, Francavilla al Mare and again here people are very fair skinned although there are also a few "what americans would call typical olive complexion dark haired italians as well"
Italy has been settled for at least 30,000 years and people have always been mobile so it's almost as it's not easy or rather possible to say "the italians from Veneto have this skin tone whereas the Italians from Umbria have that skin tone"
For goodness sake there are many here in abruzzo who could pass for irish with red hair and white skin!
Anyway, good a free way to start off would be go to this website....
Turismo, viaggi e tradizioni in Italia | Gens
type in your last name or last name of your italian family and click "cerca". It will show you where on the map of italy people live that have your same last name. Of course you can spend 100 bucks and have your DNA tested although I still feel that can't pin point it.
Let's say you do find a town where your ancestors come from. If you ever take a trip there go to the office of the ANAGRAFE which is where the municipal building is. Give them your last name and ask for "Albero Genealogico" which is family tree.
This post is totally on point. I've said it before; I have southern friends who have light/red hair and northern friends with black curly hair. People have lived here for thousands of years and have had a lot of time to mix and interbreed.

The only truth is that it is sunnier in Calabria than in Veneto or Lombardy.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:06 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,905,698 times
Quote:
I'm not asking to be racist, I'm Italian ant just want to know my roots.

Dark, but reddish (not pink)

An example

Silvio Berlusconi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is it Italic (roman)? Southern italian? Northern Italian/ Germanic?

You won't gain any useful information on your roots from this question.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:47 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
The thread is over a year old and the OP is most likely not active anymore.

Open your eyes goddamnit.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:44 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,905,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The thread is over a year old and the OP is most likely not active anymore.

Open your eyes goddamnit.
Your a grouch today.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:50 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,443,000 times
Quote:
I'm not asking to be racist, I'm Italian ant just want to know my roots.

Dark, but reddish (not pink)

An example

Silvio Berlusconi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is it Italic (roman)? Southern italian? Northern Italian/ Germanic?
Berlusconi is Italian, his skin tone could be found all over Italy. There is absolutely nothing wrong with him. He looks Mediterranean as his the majority of ethnic Italians. In anthropology he would fit in the Dinaricized-Mediterranean (a blend of Dinaric/Alpine-Mediterranean mix). Most Italians are of this type.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:27 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
This post is totally on point. I've said it before; I have southern friends who have light/red hair and northern friends with black curly hair. People have lived here for thousands of years and have had a lot of time to mix and interbreed.

The only truth is that it is sunnier in Calabria than in Veneto or Lombardy.
Stop talking so much sense, it doesn't suit this thread!! For some reason (some) people STILL believe that Italians are 'pure bred' Roman, English are 'pure bred' Anglo Saxon, Norwegians are 'pure bred' Vikings etc, it is completely and utterly beyond them to realise that Europe is a VERY mixed continent. As an example as to how 'close' we all are apparently MOST Europeans can trace back ancestory to Charlemagne. People just need to do the maths - just 20 generations back we ALL have 2,097,152 DIRECT ancestors and if people seriously believe that all of their 2 million DIRECT ancestors came from their particular corner of Europe then they are not very bright.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:11 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,841,280 times
REAL ITALIAN PEOPLE
http://www.nuok.it/wp-content/upload...0/italiani.png
http://www.lindipendenzanuova.com/wp...i-Italiani.jpg
http://torino.repubblica.it/images/2...28cab7d2a6.jpg
These are normal people from italy, who speak italian, vote for italian presidents, pay italian taxes.

AMERICANS WHO TELL YOU THEY ARE ITALIANS BECAUSE THEIR GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GRAND FATHER WAS FROM SICILY
http://www.janetcharltonshollywood.c...spire70cut.jpg
http://randomoverload.org/wp-content...-a-feather.jpg
http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/fonzie703699.jpg
these are Americans who think that eating spaggeti and saying EEEEEEH MAAMAAA MIAAA!!! makes them really italian, cannot speak italian, don't know anything about italy and are pathetic!

Last edited by Rozenn; 05-09-2015 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 05-09-2015, 07:05 AM

98 posts, read 112,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Stop talking so much sense, it doesn't suit this thread!! For some reason (some) people STILL believe that Italians are 'pure bred' Roman, English are 'pure bred' Anglo Saxon, Norwegians are 'pure bred' Vikings etc, it is completely and utterly beyond them to realise that Europe is a VERY mixed continent. As an example as to how 'close' we all are apparently MOST Europeans can trace back ancestory to Charlemagne. People just need to do the maths - just 20 generations back we ALL have 2,097,152 DIRECT ancestors and if people seriously believe that all of their 2 million DIRECT ancestors came from their particular corner of Europe then they are not very bright.

Very good, whatever survived high and low middle ages was carried way by the five waves of bubonic plague. Most people descend from a very small group of survivors that scattered all around. People forget that the big European "impregnators" were mercenaries, rape was a "fringe benefit" during many centuries.

Americans think Europe is some sort of Walt Disney, and tourism focus on that to bring non-european tourists.

Russian tourists are the only cultured ones, they do love to visit old churches, shrines, etc. I hope they return coming in big numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe