Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 05:05 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,427,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
This thread isn't about "looks" so do one.
O.K. Are you telling people what to do now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 05:17 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
O.K. Are you telling people what to do now?
Yes I am.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Yes I am.
Please don't!

Old 03-12-2014, 09:30 AM

603 posts, read 1,631,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
To look Iberian/Greek is not a sin, but I agree with you that the majority of Scottish and Irish people are more similar the other people of Northern Europeans.
For example this Scottish rugby player is similar to typical Dutchmen looks.

http://www.wasps.co.uk/uploads/image...3203squad1.jpg
I know looking Iberian/Greek is not a sin but they still are different from myself and other Europeans in my view.

Thank you for agreeing about Irish and Scottish.

The Scottish rugby player does really look Dutch.

Many Scottish look really Dutch/Belgian looking.

Many Irish look Norwegian and sometimes Slavic.

Scottish fans
http://sluggerotoole.com/wp-content/...-band-fans.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-eoPzO67rsu...s1600/fans.jpg

Irish fans
http://news.images.itv.com/image/fil...9j-4aaqsk.jpeg
http://f0.thejournal.ie/media/2012/0...ts-390x285.jpg

Old 03-12-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
I think you mean "migrated". In the UK the Vikings invaded then migrated after. The Anglos Saxons, from north Germany and Denmark, migrated. Vikings never took women with them, mixing with the local women. I do believe Viking women migrated to the British Isles.
Viking women did migrate to the parts of the British Isles which were under Viking rule for a while. However they were not that numerous, Viking expeditions usually comprised of males, when they reached the British Isles, they would take Celtic or Anglo-Saxon women for wives/concubines. Actually a good number of people in Manx, Herbrides ,Shetlands, Orkneys, Faroes Isles and Iceland are descended from unions of Scandinavian males and Celtic females dating from the Viking Age.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
They're often lumped together for their supposed 'Celtic' connection but Scotland seems to be just as if not more connected to northern England and Norway as it does to Ireland. The exception would be Northern Ireland and Donegal which in some ways have more in common with southwestern Scotland than they do with the rest of Ireland.

Good question! Well according to a genetical study titled, "Population structure and genome-wide patterns of variation in Ireland and Britain". Genetically across the greatest levels of haplotype diversity is found in southern Europe( Iberia/Balkans) and lowest levels in Ireland and Scotland. Thus population of both countries are genetically close, the very slight differences are that the Scottish somehow lay between the English and the Irish.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:42 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Well, Scotland was inhabated by the 'Picti'. These Celtic peoples, so called by the Romans because they painted their bodies and faces, were locked off from England by Hadrian's wall. When the Western Roman Empire fell in 476, Hardrian's wall was no longer defended. The Angles and Saxons to the south largely reverted to paganism. The Picti, however, who were never under Roman (or Christian) influence anyway, remained unchanged in their Pagan and iron age life. But once Ireland was fully converted and adopted Christianity, the Picti were slowly taken over by the Gaels (Irish) who from Iona (western Scotland) set up a power base that included a way of life that revolved around monasteries. For more information, research the name, Saint Columba. The Picti adopted the name Scots and then spoke Gaelic.

Slightly off topic: Gaelic sounds so beautiful to me. It is a tragedy that it is spoken by so few. I know a speaker in LA. I only wish she had taught it to her daughter.

By the way, there are differences between Irish (Gaeilge) and Scot's Gaelic (Gaidhlig).

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 03-15-2014 at 01:58 PM..

Old 03-16-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloxias View Post
I know looking Iberian/Greek is not a sin but they still are different from myself and other Europeans in my view.

Thank you for agreeing about Irish and Scottish.

The Scottish rugby player does really look Dutch.

Many Scottish look really Dutch/Belgian looking.

Many Irish look Norwegian and sometimes Slavic.

Scottish fans
http://sluggerotoole.com/wp-content/...-band-fans.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-eoPzO67rsu...s1600/fans.jpg

Irish fans
http://news.images.itv.com/image/fil...9j-4aaqsk.jpeg
http://f0.thejournal.ie/media/2012/0...ts-390x285.jpg
True this red-headed Irishman looks Norwegian, many famous Vikings were known to have red hair like Eric the Red.

for-redheads, pandabearish: whataBEAUTY

This Irish girl could easily blend in any Northern European population.
500px / Stesha by Nataly Frigo

Old 03-17-2014, 04:45 AM

81 posts, read 108,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I don't think it is that simple. Scotland has just as much in common with Ireland as it does with England. Scotland and Ireland both share a similar culture. Both Irish and Scots Gaelic are from Old Irish. This is why both countries have names using the Mc/Mac prefix. They also share a similar music tradition and a lot of their folktales are the same.

Both were Celtic in the past and both were invaded by England and are now majority English speaking countries.

I think all the countries of the British Isles are connected and have a lot of history and culture in common if truth be known.

I guess that Scotland would be very similar to England had not Saxons expelled from England by French would not have settled the lowlands....if Henry the VIII would have had beautifuls inheritors with Catherine, if Cromwell had not decided to exterminate the Irish and settled the island with Scots....had the UK not occupied and not starved the country to death packing their inhabitants in death ships to America, etc, etc, etc.

If those things would have never happened, maybe they would be very similar.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:30 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,062,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litri View Post
I guess that Scotland would be very similar to England had not Saxons expelled from England by French.
The Normans were not French. They were from Scandinavia, hence the name Nor-Man. Men from the north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe