Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 06:16 PM

545 posts, read 866,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Well the racial issue isn't really that "up there" in europe...
I don't know anyone who've spoke much about race since my history teacher in 6th grade talked about adolf hitler...

but in america it's still a "thing"
True. Just using the word race about humans is seen as quite racist around here..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 11:38 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishviking View Post
well the racial issue isn't really that "up there" in europe...
I don't know anyone who've spoke much about race since my history teacher in 6th grade talked about adolf hitler...

But in america it's still a "thing"
Y A W N

Willfiully ignoring social tensions is a terrible way to create a peaceful, diverse society. And if you believe that Sweden is a colorblind, religiously harmonious utopia, please do yourself a favor and avoid the inevitable flying bricks and flames.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:20 AM

81 posts, read 108,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
I was confused what a Moor was since Shakespeare's play depicted a Moor as black while most Europeans depict them as Middle Eastern.

During the Middle Ages all "heathens" were depicted as black, red and blue and even checkered.

During those times, fresco paintings were "instructive" and people were iliterate so they had to use colours to teach.

Moors at that time were Berbers, since blacks were a extreme rarity both in Europe and North Africa. Black were a "luxury" item that showed that his owner was extremely rich.

The Holy Wise Men are a perfect example, the Egyptian wise man in portrayed as black, and people only knew about blacks from Roman literature.

Chinese were sometimes portrayed as blue men dressed in shiny silk.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:38 PM

603 posts, read 1,632,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Was there ever a Moor 'race'? If you look at medieval depictions of Moors, they ranged from people who looked like Sub-Saharan and Nilotic Blacks, tan Berbers, and even European looking. All those 'looks' can be found today in North Africa.

Here is an interesting page on the subject: Who the Moors really were. | Mathilda's Anthropology Blog.
True Indeed.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:14 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
are there people in europe who still consider themselves of the moor race?
if so. where are they mostly populated?
Gee, I would not even dare use that word, it is almost as bad as ni**er.
There are some older words left, though, which include the word moor, for instance Mohrenkopf ("moor's head") in German, which is a dark chocolate coated marshmallow candy stuff

Old 03-26-2014, 05:48 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Sorry but it's 'Moops'
Thank you!

Old 03-27-2014, 04:21 AM

32 posts, read 34,354 times
Moor is not derogatory, but historical, Moors come from Maurus, the roman province of Mauretania.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:25 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,584,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Y A W N

Willfiully ignoring social tensions is a terrible way to create a peaceful, diverse society. And if you believe that Sweden is a colorblind, religiously harmonious utopia, please do yourself a favor and avoid the inevitable flying bricks and flames.
I'm not saying everyone is evolved, but most people discussing "race" as being an issue here are seen as unintelligent/uneducated/ignorant by the vast majority, kind of like you would view an illiterate person or a person proclaiming earth is flat...

Old 04-21-2014, 03:55 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S.Marshal1488 View Post
No, the human species. But there are several races (caucasian, negroid, mongoloid, australoid), like all creatures on earth.
I am a rather progressive person, but I never really got that saying, either. It is pc bs in my view. Races come about via the separation and isolation of groups of the same species, which applies to dogs just like it applies to humans. There is nothing bad about the fact that there are races, nor does race mean pure. After all, each group already started out diverse to begin with, and often groups would overlap at the borders of their regional distributions. The fact all modern humans can mix and reproduce, also is in line with what race usually means, i.e. not different enough to prevent mixing. The same applies to dogs.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:24 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Moor or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe