Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 07:08 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,984,059 times

Advertisements

If people could share with me how often they do the following, I'm interested to see what kind of difference there is in what is suggested vs what is practiced in Europe? My previous thread irked a few nerves, and I see how the manner in which I asked the question could offend people. So now I'm looking for a more introspective account of how people take care of their teeth and the value they place into these routines.

-How often do you brush your teeth per day?
-How often do you floss?
-How often do you use mouthwash?
-How often do you visit the dentist for a checkup or a cleaning if necessary?

Secondly

-How often is it suggested you brush per day?
-How often is it suggested you floss?
-Is it suggested to use mouthwash at all?
-How often are you advised or suggested to visit the dentist?

Answer all or none or some, doesn't matter, any kind of feedback helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 07:43 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
If people could share with me how often they do the following, I'm interested to see what kind of difference there is in what is suggested vs what is practiced in Europe? My previous thread irked a few nerves, and I see how the manner in which I asked the question could offend people. So now I'm looking for a more introspective account of how people take care of their teeth and the value they place into these routines.

-How often do you floss?

Secondly

I'll put my reply here instead.

- Twice a day. After breakfast and before going to sleep.
- Sometimes/when necessary. When something gets stuck, but routinely only once in a while. (Maybe 1-1.5 times a week on average.)
- Never use mouthwash.
- In school (elementary and high school) we had a checkup every year. The last time I went was 2 years ago after a break of something like 5 years. Had some problems with calculus when younger and went more often earlier, but been free from it the last years. I've had caries in a tooth once in my lifetime and I'm 30

Secondly

- Twice or three times
- Three times a week, OR every day if you have problems with your teeth.
- Only if you have problems with smelling breath or caries. They instead suggest that you chew chewing gum with xylitol, which is good for your teeth.
- Once a year.

Could add that small kids sometimes eat fluorine pills, as the water isn't fluoridated in Europe except for Ireland.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:46 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,984,059 times
Interesting. Your dental hygiene habits are on par with probably what the average American does.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:47 PM

326 posts, read 471,388 times
Quote:

-How often do you floss?

Secondly

What is the American diet regime like ?

Old 03-25-2014, 08:47 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,539,324 times
My girlfriend is German and gets annoyed because I never brush for the two full minutes.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:22 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,348,019 times
Quote:
Interesting. Your dental hygiene habits are on par with probably what the average American does.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:36 AM

579 posts, read 762,619 times
Beer > mouthwash

Old 03-26-2014, 01:54 AM

61,752 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Quote:
Really!! Are you shocked?

Old 03-26-2014, 04:18 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,254,996 times
- Twice a day usually
- Only when something gets stuck there
- Once a day
- I haven't been for years though I know I need to go.
I have terrible teeth despite going to the dentist regularly as a child and following all their instructions. They've been discoloured for as long as I remember (most likely due to undiagnosed Coeliac Disease).

I have no idea what the recommendations here are apart from being told to give my child xylitol pastilles after every meal. And its recommended for adults to chew xylitol gum after meals.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:00 AM

667 posts, read 941,086 times
I still clean my teeth only once a day -- after breakfast. Yeah I know I should do it in the evening as well, but somehow either forget or can't force myself to do it. Well, sometimes I manage to do it, but not too often I must admit...
I usually go to the dentist whenever I have toothache which bothers me. Sometimes it's 2 times a year, sometimes once in 3 years.
My dentist recommended me to use floss every day, which I did for a couple of years, but then I gave up on that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe