Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 07:52 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,064,550 times

Advertisements

You may find that there are more blond people in total in the UK than say in Sweden. UK population is 63 million against about 8-9 million in Sweden. Sweden has a high percentage of blonds than the UK.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:39 PM

69 posts, read 152,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigrinho View Post
According to this mas both countries have the same number of blondes per cent, but should we trust maps? From my point of view there are more in British Islands, I can be wrong though.
I think that map is pretty accurate.
Highest concentration of blue eyes and blonde hair is countryies around the Baltic Sea.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:30 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
I would say light brown, the same as the north Germans. Southern Germans are medium to dark brown overall.

Most British I encounter are medium brown and dark brown hair. That includes Scottish people. In addition a very large amount of people in the UK do dye their hair blonde.

Tigrinho you are right about that map. I not sure with Eastern Europe but it sure suits Western Europe.

Last edited by other99; 05-08-2014 at 12:38 AM..

Old 05-08-2014, 09:12 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,264,432 times
Default Ve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigrinho View Post
According to this mas both countries have the same number of blondes per cent, but should we trust maps? From my point of view there are more in British Islands, I can be wrong though.
This map seem to follow the common sense that European populations follow, on average, a north-south gradiant; with logically lighter features in iceland than in Britain, lighter featuers in Britain than in France, lighter features in France than in Spain... And if the maps included north Africa we could see that this gradient continues... Once again Injust can't understand why it should be so unbearable for some British people in this forum that every European countries have on average lighter populations than the country located further south than them?... That is common sense. From France everyone knows that Spanish people are on average darker than us and that British people are lighte, there is nothing to be ashamed of. I will never be angry against a Spanish person who will tell me that Spanish people are on average darkers than French people. Curiuously some British people just can't stand the fact that British populations have, on average, a lighter population. That´s OK, it does not makes British inferior, nor superior to french people, so why geeting angry?

Old 05-08-2014, 12:22 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
This map seem to follow the common sense that European populations follow, on average, a north-south gradiant; with logically lighter features in iceland than in Britain, lighter featuers in Britain than in France, lighter features in France than in Spain... And if the maps included north Africa we could see that this gradient continues... Once again Injust can't understand why it should be so unbearable for some British people in this forum that every European countries have on average lighter populations than the country located further south than them?... That is common sense. From France everyone knows that Spanish people are on average darker than us and that British people are lighte, there is nothing to be ashamed of. I will never be angry against a Spanish person who will tell me that Spanish people are on average darkers than French people. Curiuously some British people just can't stand the fact that British populations have, on average, a lighter population. That´s OK, it does not makes British inferior, nor superior to french people, so why geeting angry?
Why do you keep suggesting that people are getting angry?? You are very strange, its obvious to most people on this planet that generally British people are far superior to their French counterparts! 😃

Old 05-08-2014, 10:01 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,432,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Most British I encounter are medium brown and dark brown hair. That includes Scottish people. In addition a very large amount of people in the UK do dye their hair blonde.

Tigrinho you are right about that map. I not sure with Eastern Europe but it sure suits Western Europe.
Well that is your opinion. For I've also met plenty of ethnic British people of all hair colours from red(as mine is) or platinum-blonde to dark brown or even blackish-brown. Nevertheless we cannot rely on our opinions, this is why studies, statistics come into place. Overall, the most common hair colour of the ethnic Brits is mousy, the same could be said about the Irish people who are closely related to the Brits and their descendants elsewhere. Dark brown hair is common among the Irish, but is not the dominant hair colour. What you said about dyeing is totally irrelevant, there's one source which states that the Norwegians have a very high use for hair dyers, many Europeans especially women do dye their hair blonde too. There are also many Brits/Irish and other Northern Europeans who dye their hair jet-black especially those in the Gothic subculture like Punk rock which was founded in England.

The woman below is Gothic model lady:

File:Lady Amaranth.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These Gaelic(Irish) Hurling players show you what is the average hair colour of the British Isles:

http://www.breakingthrough.ie/wp-con.../07/754719.jpg

Old 05-08-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
A majority of Scottish people have brown hair. I met and know Scottish people and I can't recall a majority of them blonde or redhaired. Scotland may have the same latitude as Denmark, yet there are higher percentage of Blondes in Denmark than Scotland.
Lappland which is located in much more northern than both Scotland and Denmark is has a high frequency of brown hair too, so can you explain that too? Firstly you have to know that the highest frequency for blondism is in Northern Europe, particularly in the Baltic region, especially north of the Baltic, in the regions around the Gulf of Bothnia. Denmark is geographically closer thus will have a blonder-haired population than that of Scotland. Ancient Danes came from southern Sweden before living in Denmark today. However in the regions of Northern Europe which are west of the Baltic, there is an increase of red hair reaching the climax in Ireland and Scotland in the far northwest. Red hair is a much more recessive trait than blonde hair thus will usually masks itself behind brown/blonde hair, therefore cannot make-up the majority of a population. However the highest percentage of people with red hair are found in Scotland and Ireland. The ratio of red hair is much higher than of Scandinavia. This is why there is a higher number of brown-haired people in Scotland than Denmark, however since they have a higher percentage of the red hair genes, they usually have a lighter skin tone/ fairer skin, freckles than Danish folks. Scandinavians despite the fact that they're frequently blonde, as a whole have a much higher frequency of people who tan better than the Brits, especially the Scottish. This is why the lightest skin types are associated with Celtic people. So yes, both Scotland and Denmark are Northern European populations, but don't have to be identical.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Curiuously some British people just can't stand the fact that British populations have, on average, a lighter population.
I find that strange. I put it down to anti-nazi propaganda that has never been repealed. Being any shade does not make you better looking. The first time I travelled though France as a teenager, by rail, I was struck by all the brown eyes and swathy complextions. I had never paid attention to eye colour in Britain as we are mainly light eyed, thinking everyone was like that. Light haired French people to me always looked odd as they mainly had brown eyes.

I recall some South American girls being fascinated by my greeny blue eyes. I could not see the fascination.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Well that is your opinion. For I've also met plenty of ethnic British people of all hair colours from red(as mine is) or platinum-blonde
My brother was platinum-blonde.
Quote:
there's one source which states that the Norwegians have a very high use for hair dyers,
I lived near small hotels in London that Swedish tour agents used for short breaks. The local pub was always full of Swedes. Subsequently many of the girls went for me. I found that with many of them the blond hair and the colour of what was downstairs were different.
Dying fair hair to blond is not easily noticeable. Then I noticed that more of the Swedish girls had blond hair than the men - the general give away.

I noticed that French girls rarely dyed their hair.

Last edited by John-UK; 05-09-2014 at 05:43 AM..

Old 05-09-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:

As a whole Scotland is more blue-eyed than Germany. Regions of Germany similar to Scotland in terms of blue/light eyes are those in the very northern section. The same goes for very fair skin with northwest Germany which is the fairest-skinned in Germany is somewhat similar in frequency to the British Isles populations. Nevertheless Germany as a whole is "darker-skinned" than Scotland, some regions in northern Scotland have a high frequency of Scandinavian/Norse ancestry(mainly Norwegian). Ash-blonde hair is more common among the Germans than the Scots, but not golden blonde hair. Strawberry blondes, sandy-blondes are common among the Scots. So all in all, Scotland is equivalent to northern Germany or lighter. The combination dark brown eyes and blue eyes and a very fair skin is much more frequent among the Scottish especially Highlanders than it would ever be among Germans who have dark brown hair, who would be usually darker than their blonde counterparts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe