Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 11:27 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,432,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Indeed they are quite pale and can often be spotted while on vacation because they sunburn very badly.
Yes it's true that people of British descent have a very fair pigmentation.

Some examples:

Naomi Watts.
File:Naomi Watts.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Andrea Riseborough
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...iseborough.jpg

Old 05-06-2014, 11:50 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Brown hair is much more common than Blondes for Germans and British, yet Germans and even Dutch are more blonde than the British. However red hair is more common among British than Germans.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:19 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,432,149 times
Blonde hair is common in the British and German groups, both groups are equally blonde, just that the Germans have a stronger tendency towards ash-blondism and the British have a stronger tendency towards golden-blondism. Red hair is definitely more common among the British. The Dutch are slightly more blonde than the British, but similar to the British in and Germans overall, rather more equivalent to the eastern English, red hair is common among them than Germans, but less than the British. Belgians and French have less blonde and red hair than the British.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:41 AM

Well Northern Germans I find are more Blonde than British. Irish are even less blonde than the British. Yet the far most common for a British person hair colour is dark brown hair and light coloured eyes.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:43 AM

237 posts, read 673,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well Northern Germans I find are more Blonde than British. Irish are even less blonde than the British. Yet the far most common for a British person hair colour is dark brown hair and light coloured eyes.
Northern Germans would be more blond than the British as a whole. But that's taking one specific region and comparing it to large generalized one. Eastern England and Scotland would be comparable to Northern Germany. Genetically speaking, many eastern coastal areas are near 100% Norse according to Walter Bodmer's autosomal study. The most common hair colour among the British is medium brown, and that would be true of Germany as well.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:18 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
All you had to say was that you don't like it when someone says there are blonde-headed/red-headed Brits/English people, but someone says all British are dark or look like Spaniards then you're O.K. with it. Yes I live maybe 4,000 miles away, so what? I've been almost all over Western Europe, in France, Belgium, the Netherlands, England, Spain( in Valencia many times!), Germany(When it was West Germany). I'm actually fluent in French and Dutch too. What estimates are you talking about? I didn't post any estimates on this thread. All I said was that the frequency of blonde-headed people among white English is not much different from that of white Germans. I never said that the percentage of blondes in England is higher than those of brunettes. Anyway, you've got a hard time understanding studies, genetical studies, so when you get there you'll understand it.
[/quote]

Im sorry but this is just bollox, I am simply pointing out you are wrong thats all! I dont give a **** what colour hair 'Britons' have, all I see is people from other parts of the world claiming to be some kind of 'experts' on how the British 'look', people claiming that ALL Britons are pale skinned and burn easily is just bollox, the British (just like other Europeans) have a WIDE range of pigmantation from the darkest brown to the palest white and everything inbetween, I am British, I live in Briton, I think I know how the people around me look, this (the British are all red heads and burn easily) stuff is just stereotypical nonsense spouted by people that don't even live anywhere near Britain!!

Old 05-07-2014, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmega View Post
Northern Germans would be more blond than the British as a whole. But that's taking one specific region and comparing it to large generalized one. Eastern England and Scotland would be comparable to Northern Germany. Genetically speaking, many eastern coastal areas are near 100% Norse according to Walter Bodmer's autosomal study. The most common hair colour among the British is medium brown, and that would be true of Germany as well.
A majority of Scottish people have brown hair. I met and know Scottish people and I can't recall a majority of them blonde or redhaired. Scotland may have the same latitude as Denmark, yet there are higher percentage of Blondes in Denmark than Scotland.

Last edited by other99; 05-07-2014 at 03:59 AM..

Old 05-07-2014, 04:11 AM

237 posts, read 673,904 times
Im sorry but this is just bollox, I am simply pointing out you are wrong thats all! I dont give a **** what colour hair 'Britons' have, all I see is people from other parts of the world claiming to be some kind of 'experts' on how the British 'look', people claiming that ALL Britons are pale skinned and burn easily is just bollox, the British (just like other Europeans) have a WIDE range of pigmantation from the darkest brown to the palest white and everything inbetween, I am British, I live in Briton, I think I know how the people around me look, this (the British are all red heads and burn easily) stuff is just stereotypical nonsense spouted by people that don't even live anywhere near Britain!![/quote]

The problem with you is that you have no concept of statistics and how they work. You're post are all littered with strawman arguments, like "British are ALL redheads and burn easy". No one says the British Isle are all type 1 skin types or red haired and burn while never tanning. In fact the the statistics have been posted NUMEROUS times which shows the percentage breakdown, and shows a distinct variation. You don't get it, because you are at odds with what is typical. So you turn typical into 100% everyone in order to make this absurd. Typical doesn't mean EVERYONE. If you're darker than average, deal with it, instead of being a baby. I guess no one wants to feel like an outsider in their own ethnicity, but you need to know and understand statistics a little better.
No European has a darkest brown skin tone, let alone a Brit. This whole Pakistani's are also ethnic native English because the English are made up "immigrants" from Celts to Vikings and between is bull. The English are European and precisely north European. Their genetic makeup consists of mostly northern European, with tiny Middle Eastern/North African. Unmixed fresh Pakistani is not European let alone British. You clearly have a dark fetish, so how can you be taken seriously?

Old 05-07-2014, 04:49 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,064,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Yet the far most common for a British person hair colour is dark brown hair and light coloured eyes.
I would say light brown, the same as the north Germans. Southern Germans are medium to dark brown overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmega View Post
No one says the British Isle are all type 1 skin types or red haired and burn while never tanning. In fact the statistics have been posted NUMEROUS times which shows the percentage breakdown, and shows a distinct variation. You don't get it, because you are at odds with what is typical.
Mr Easthome clearly does not understand stats. He is one of those people that can only go on personal experience of matters immediately around them. Sad but true.

Last edited by John-UK; 05-07-2014 at 05:10 AM..

Old 05-07-2014, 05:15 AM

84 posts, read 225,138 times
According to this mas both countries have the same number of blondes per cent, but should we trust maps? From my point of view there are more in British Islands, I can be wrong though.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.