Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 08:03 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,545,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I don't know that people "buy the BS in movies, etc" but rather people generally enjoy being entertained and sometimes distracted from their everyday lives...much like the many participants here on the city-data forum, it may be an escape of sorts.

I've never heard the NL being described as boring and that has not been my experience either. But we are all different with different perspectives concerning life and this big world we live in, so I think that you are very, very fortunate that you have found a country to feel at home in. It also speaks volumes in terms of your general contentment that you plan on staying right where you are. I know that it certainly makes me happy...for you!

Ameriscot, sincerely, may you always have fire in your chimney (also known as 'long may your chimney smoke') or as they may say in Scotland...Lang may yer lum reek!

Cheers!
Cheers!

From the many Scots and English I've spoken to during my 14 years here I get the distinct impression that many think the US is just like the movies. For many people, the country you don't live in or have never been to seems exotic.

I should have said I've been told (by some Dutch as well as others) that the landscape in NL is boring, not the country itself. Of course, during tulip season I wouldn't say that. I've only been to the airport and gone through by coach so can't say for myself.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:04 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The downside though was the dark, dreary winter. The overcast, wet, dripping cold winter is something that I don't much care for - in either Oregon, Washington state, or much of central Europe and the UK. Of course, that being said, I just dealt with it while I was there and learned to bundle up and make the most of each day anyway.
Up here, it's seems like those climates are a trade-off of getting milder winters at the expense of sunshine. A week in the UK in the winter felt like a bit of a break.

Quote:
Also, since our daylight hours don't fluctuate as much as they do in much of Europe, we enjoy daylight even in the wintertime from about 6:30 am till about 6 pm just about all winter. And I despise activities like putting on snow chains, shoveling snow, scraping ice off my windshield, etc.
Sunset is about 4:20 PM here in December. Even in San Francisco it's around 5 pm, with sunrise about 7 am. It's about as warm as Tyler, TX in the winter though and less prone to extreme cold.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:07 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,545,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Up here, it's seems like those climates are a trade-off of getting milder winters at the expense of sunshine. A week in the UK in the winter felt like a bit of a break.

Sunset is about 4:20 PM here in December. Even in San Francisco it's around 5 pm, with sunrise about 7 am. It's about as warm as Tyler, TX in the winter though and less prone to extreme cold.
In my part of Scotland it's still light out at 11pm in summer. In winter it's dark before 4pm. It snowed once last winter and melted by the next day. Not to say winter isn't cold - it's windy and rainier. Solution: go to a warm climate for a couple of months.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Solution: go to a warm climate for a couple of months.
LOL that's what I do in reverse. When it gets too hot here for me in the summertime, I go someplace cooler!

We're headed to the Smoky Mountains next week in NC and I'm so excited! Highs in the upper 70s...nice!

Old 07-13-2014, 08:12 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
In my part of Scotland it's still light out at 11pm in summer. In winter it's dark before 4pm. It snowed once last winter and melted by the next day. Not to say winter isn't cold - it's windy and rainier. Solution: go to a warm climate for a couple of months.
Most people don't have the money nor time to go someplace else for a few months.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:13 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,610 times
Today in Minneapolis dawn is 5 am and dusk is 9:30pm. We are around the same latitude as Montreal, Portland OR and Milan.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We're headed to the Smoky Mountains next week in NC and I'm so excited! Highs in the upper 70s...nice!
I went to the White Mountains in NH last weekend. Up in the mountains highs around 50°F with 50 mph winds. Down in the lowlands, high of 73°F Saturday, 81°F Sunday.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
I should have said I've been told (by some Dutch as well as others) that the landscape in NL is boring, not the country itself. Of course, during tulip season I wouldn't say that. I've only been to the airport and gone through by coach so can't say for myself.
Outside of towns, a lot of it lots like flat farm county. Maybe some here might find it pretty.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I don't know that people "buy the BS in movies, etc" but rather people generally enjoy being entertained and sometimes distracted from their everyday lives...much like the many participants here on the city-data forum, it may be an escape of sorts.

I've never heard the NL being described as boring and that has not been my experience either. But we are all different with different perspectives concerning life and this big world we live in, so I think that you are very, very fortunate that you have found a country to feel at home in. It also speaks volumes in terms of your general contentment that you plan on staying right where you are. I know that it certainly makes me happy...for you!
I second this. I love hearing that people are happy where they've chosen to live - or where life has taken them. I sincerely WANT people to love their countries, their states, their cities, their towns, etc. I don't take any pleasure in criticizing where others live or perpetrating negative, and often inaccurate, stereotypes or misconceptions. What's the point? I'd rather focus on the positives.

For instance, on this thread - I've really enjoyed looking at the photos of other people's cities, areas, etc. I don't consider it any sort of contest, because of COURSE different people like different settings and climates and have different expectations of amenities. Why would I want to make fun of their personal preferences or try to make them feel inferior or silly for rejoicing in what they love about their home and their country?

That's exactly why I posted the pictures of my little corner of suburbia. No spectacular vistas, no oceanfront property, no towering mountains...but I love turning the corner into my quiet, green neighborhood and driving past the immaculately manicured lawns and well tended homes. The joy and dignity of home ownership is evident and that makes me feel so good for my neighbors. I love walking in the neighborhood every evening, stopping to talk with other neighbors as they're walking, or working in their yards. It's nothing earth moving or stupendous, but it's the sort of quiet peaceful setting that I love.

When I lived in Germany, in a completely different setting, I also loved opening the door of my apartment (walking up those four flights of stairs with four kids and groceries kept me in shape, that's for sure!), and looking out my window, across the busy street below, to the monastery across the street and the Spessart mountains a short distance away.

I love drinking my coffee on my front porch and looking across my green lawn to the creek or up and down the quiet street, and I love walking in the evening and listening to the doves coo and the frogs croak, the distant sound of a lawn mower, the smell of freshly cut grass, the sound of kids riding their bikes, and the tinkle of the bell on the ice cream truck. When I lived in Germany, I loved drinking my coffee sitting at my open, lace draped window, watching the sun's patterns thru the lace and listening to the city sounds below. I loved walking to the backerei and metzgerei with my kids, with the busy city all around us, and the fabulous smells of fresh baked bread, smoked meat, and rich coffee filling our senses as we made our daily selections.

Life can be so good in so many different places. We can find beautiful blessings and soul-fulfilling experiences just about anywhere.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I went to the White Mountains in NH last weekend. Up in the mountains highs around 50°F with 50 mph winds. Down in the lowlands, high of 73°F Saturday, 81°F Sunday.
That sounds fabulous! I cannot WAIT for our New England trip. I'm really looking forward to it and wish it wasn't so far in the future! But in a couple of months we're going to Myrtle Beach in South Carolina and I haven't been there before either so I'm really looking forward to it. There's so much to see in this wide world - I'll never get to all of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe