Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2014, 03:29 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
It's a bit unfair to criticize the scenery based on the apartment blocks. Most of the "architecture" in scenic parts of the USA is very ugly. Florida beach towns have 3rd world looking high rises, mountain towns in Tahoe/Colorado have the hideous 1970s ski lodge look, the desert southwest has the golf course McMansion, the Pac Northwest has the bizarro aluminum box prefab "modern," etc. The cities and suburbs aren't that much better.
OK, but take away the apt. blocks, and what's left of the scenery?

I live in the desert Southwest, and we have adobe Pueblo-style architecture. It's very attractive. Aluminum boxes in the Pac NW? Where? Maybe it's a new thing, since the early 2000's? Some of the most beautiful architecture, IMO, is the mediterranean tile-roofed style in many parts of California.

Finland has some nice historic architecture and neighborhoods, as Ariete has shown us before. But those apt. block parts of the city aren't inspiring. Though at least there's some greenery around.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Ariete, thanks for posting the pictures - I thought they were very interesting. One thing that surprised me is the vistas you can see from whatever viewpoint you took those shots from. Were those taken from a hillside, an apartment, an office building, what? You could see a very long way. For a cityscape, I can see how it would be impressive, especially at night with lights twinkling.

I took this photo last night while walking at dusk in my neighborhood (it's so hot during the day that I usually wait till after 8 pm to take a walk). I was trying to take a picture of the full moon but I only had my cell phone with me. Still...here's a picture of some "Texas suburban sprawl" that some people seem to have an aversion for. Doesn't look too hellish to me!

Now - this isn't the most scenic part of east Texas - just one street in my neighborhood in the evening. But it's a nice walk to take every night - very peaceful. I love walking past the houses and seeing lights on, with families eating dinner together, or people sitting out on their porch, waving at fellow walkers. Our neighborhood is criss crossed with creeks and little walking paths and bridges going over the creeks, so there are crickets chirping, frogs croaking, and birds fluttering, and we have rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, even deer in our neighborhood! They become pretty active at night. The raccoons are bold - I've gotten to within five feet or so of one before it goes scurrying off!

Old 07-12-2014, 05:40 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,730,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It's nice, but I'm definitely prefer hills with at least some forest. And endless flat landscape where you can see for dozens miles looks empty and blank to me, though interesting to experience. Also like the somewhat more compact towns of the Northeast. But no, not arguing with your taste, just saying it's not my style.

Oddly, checking from streetview, some parts of France that is flat farm country looks a bit similar. Perhaps deep blue sky is less common and of course the towns are a very different style though even quainter.

Here's some New England landscape.
From a fire tower:
we got fields, too!
hills
and mountains:
Awesome!!

Old 07-12-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Here's some eye candy then. Taken from the hills above my city with 180k inhabitants:

In Finland, I've only been to Helsinki and nowhere else, and LOVED IT, but not at first. Unfortunately, the day we flew into Helsinki, I was feeling a bit off-kilter. Didn't quite know what, but I had a headache and a backache. We landed in Helsinki, went to the hotel, went out for a while to enjoy the people enjoying the summer (LOTS of people!!), then went back to the hotel and I got in bed to rest. By the a.m. (hard to tell since it was summer and the whole day was light!), I felt deathly ill.

The hotel tried to get me a housecall doctor, but I insisted on dragging myself to a doctor's office that they referred me to. We got there and the doctor was SUCH a nice man! He diagnosed me with bronchitis. How's that for luck - summer bronchitis on our vacation. I think the doctor felt quite sorry for me. Then we went to the apteekki (I dragged myself there too - no energy), where they felt sorry for me too and gave me a glass with water to start taking the antibiotics right away, then we went back to the hotel taking the bag of meds with us, and I crawled under the covers to sleep. The hotel sent up a pitcher of fresh orange juice to us for free that day, and the next day the manager brought us up some rolls and butter and coffee and asked if there was anything at all he could do for us. Kindness, really!! I don't recall the name of the hotel, but I've got it somewhere. What a bunch of nice people there.

About forty-eight hours later (about 3 days lost with illness, in total) ... I felt better, got energy, took a hot shower and said, "I'm going to see Helsinki!"

Loved it! People everywhere, cafes, pubs, things to see everywhere! I told my husband I wanted to live there.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:18 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,659,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Ashes, ashes and more ashes on my poor ol' grey head. Multitasking can create embarrassing moments. Am I forgiven as i immigrant to the US and Texas?

It’s possible that you meant to say that geographically Texas would be considered Mid-west not the South.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:33 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,245,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwindsforever View Post
That is beautiful Natsku! But what is the name of that little run down community to the left? You know the answer!!!
The delightful town of sh*tsville I love it here

Old 07-12-2014, 07:35 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,245,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That's a beautiful view! I'd like to visit the Nordic countries some time - the furthest north I've gone is the Netherlands. One of my best friends is Norwegian (married to an American and living in Texas - talk about culture shock!) and she tells me a lot about how beautiful it is. She also throws a huge Christmas party every year and serves traditional Norwegian food that she orders online and also has family ship to her. It's fantastic!
The Nordics are certainly worth a visit.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:07 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
. Still...here's a picture of some "Texas suburban sprawl" that some people seem to have an aversion for. Doesn't look too hellish to me!
Here is the view of "Texas suburban sprawl" from my deck.

Do Europeans envy the American lifestyle?-deck-view.jpg

Old 07-12-2014, 09:08 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
It’s possible that you meant to say that geographically Texas would be considered Mid-west not the South.
Actually, most of it would be considered the West or Southwest. Not Midwest.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Here is the view of "Texas suburban sprawl" from my deck.

Attachment 132754
So you're living in the wilderness.

I go to the wilderness when I want some wilderness. Unless I'm "doing wilderness" I like the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe