Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 06:07 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,548,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I see absolutely no reason for an American to envy the European lifestyle. Almost everything is cheaper here, we have much better gun rights, where a person in most cases can act in self-defense if his property is threatened(home invasion for example)

In most European countries, if you shoot a home invader, you go to jail which leads me to the next point, European societies are extremely politically correct, which is something I personally abhor.

The environmental movement in Europe is fanatical, almost totalitarian. Very similar to places in the United States that have been destroyed by Liberalism. I love going to Europe once a year but in term of values, I prefer the USA
^^^^ Several reasons I'm happy I live in the UK now instead of the US.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:09 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,548,229 times
Quote:
What bothers me in Europe is the groupthink mentality, no room for individuality and critical thought. In Norway, they were thinking about keep raising gas prices on purpose to discourage people from driving all together.

I abhor this type of mentality because people should have the freedom to drive, walk or use public transportation. I probably would never own a Suburban with a 6.2 L V8 engine because it is not practical, me being a single person with no kids but if someone wants to buy it and they can afford it. Let them have it, WHO CARES?

In Germany, there is this whole campaign to encourage men to not pee standing up. Europeans accuse Americans of being dumb and brainwashed, but they embrace these stupid politically correct things without even criticizing it.

In Sweden, they banned homeschooling and now they are experimenting with "gender neutral" schools. Any person with a bit common sense would understand that these thing are ridiculous but European societies have become so politically correct that it does not matter how irrational some of these things may be, people just embrace it whole-heartedly.

The environmental movement is so fanatical that many grocery stores don't even have plastic bags anymore. Instead of being so radical, they could encourage people to bring their own bags and still have plastic bags at a premium cost, but no, they just take radical measures and do away with everything because some pseudo-intellectual Liberal decided that what is good for him, must be good for everybody.
A wild guess, your main source of news is Fox.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:15 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,066,627 times
Quote:
I can only imagine the LAPD going into a neighborhood like Watts or South Central Los Angeles armed with batons. This is the perfect example of what I am talking about- irrational political correctness.
By the time they went in with batons guns would be outlawed and not for sale and eliminated from the population, and any possession faces severe penalties.

Having an unarmed police service is not being politically correct. It is fact in the UK. It is the way it is. I like it that way.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:18 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,066,627 times
Quote:
Another perfect example of someone who has no understanding of guns and what they are for.
They were designed to kill people. That is easy to figure out.
Quote:
If someone tries to break into you house or steal your property, what are you going to do? Call the police?
So he deserves to be dead for house breaking. Wow!

Owning a gun for protection from wildlife is very different to blowing away a housebreaker.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:57 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,876,278 times
Owning a gun for protection from wildlife is very different to blowing away a housebreaker

Pesronally I have less fear from wildlife (extinct in most of Europe anyway) than from violent thugs. The US guy has a point there, in my opinion.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Driving your SUV from your suburb to the grocery store but claiming you protect the environment by reusing shopping bags. That's like ordering a diet coke with your BigMac at McDonalds and pretend you live healthy.
I didn't ever claim to be protecting the environment -LOL. That being said, my SUV gets decent gas mileage - it's a smallish SUV and good gas mileage was important to me when I was choosing a vehicle, for environmental reasons as well as my pocketbook.

And I don't eat at McDonalds.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:57 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
By the time they went in with batons guns would be outlawed and not for sale and eliminated from the population, and any possession faces severe penalties.

Having an unarmed police service is not being politically correct. It is fact in the UK. It is the way it is. I like it that way.
You sounds exactly like your fellow Brit Piers Morgan. He would make some of the most clueless statements on CNN, no wonder he was sent back to the UK. He was extremely stubborn and made some outrageous anti-gun comments which truly showed that he had absolutely no understanding of American culture and how things work here.

We have a 2000 mile(3218 km) long border with Mexico. Do you even understand how many guns get smuggled across the US/Mexico border every year?

It would be idiotic to outlaw guns here in the USA. It would basically mean that criminals would have access to all types of illegal guns and law-abiding citizens would be unable to defend their properties or act in self-defense legally when needed.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:17 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
When I was starting out in full time working I was sent by my company to Prague which was behind the dreaded Iron Curtain. I was impressed with the way they preserved culture and history and the range and quality of the beers. A few months later I went on a holiday in he USA driving coast to coast and back. I was appalled that a continent had about 4 poor quality beers in the whole place and all lagers. It was a beer no-go zone. The corporations dictated what you ate and drank, morso than in these so-called public controlled countries.

Since my bad experience to my delight I have found that the emergence of micro-breweries in the USA has transformed the brewing industry with a superb range of beers and ales. The 1970s backpackers doing Europe made an impression

Recently Germany produced 50% of its electricity via renewable sources. That is a fantastic achievement.
I never thought about critiquing countries based on their beers.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:18 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
It would be idiotic to outlaw guns here in the USA. It would basically mean that criminals would have access to all types of illegal guns and law-abiding citizens would be unable to defend their properties or act in self-defense legally when needed.
This is a gun lobby marketing ploy that you have fallen for. "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns". It's a very effective fear-mongering slogan. Congratulations. You've joined the lemmings. Corporate America wins again!

Old 08-13-2014, 01:38 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,689,188 times
As a retired Marine, I know very well what a gun is for. I would not have one in my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe