Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 10:32 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
Great another one who is mostly concerned with telling victims that they have not right to, but shutting up towards the real criminals. What is if with you people that when a real victims defends himself or herself you all come running saying that defending should not happen but you people never ever go to criminals telling them that they should not commit crimes. Telling criminals that committing crimes is wrong and that not cimmitting crimes solves all the problems.

No I do not blow people up, I am fed up with crime and the impact it has on the lives of victims. Why do you not write "why break into a person's home when you know it is illegal and has a serious impact on the victim?".
You're missing the point. Defending happens by calling the cops. The do-not-commit-crimes messages happens when the cops handcuff the bad guy and send him to jail. What's so hard to understand about that?

Old 08-15-2014, 10:34 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And often, as in my case, it's merely the PRESENCE of a gun that does the trick. Like I said, all I had to do was hold that gun up for them to take off like bats out of hell.
In that case, a toy gun would have done the trick.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:45 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That is not really accurate. In liberal areas of the country, it is not common for average middle-class people to have or carry guns. Among the lower class in inner cities, guns may be more common among gang members and people like that.

Also, some people may have rifles for hunting but that's different.
Aside of my brother who is a retired cop, I know only one other person with guns. That is out of the hundreds of people I know. She is retired military also.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:10 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwindsforever View Post
It just shows that guns are very much part of the "American lifestyle" and part of everyday life amongst so many.
:>) You just do not hear about what is going on in some parts of Europe unless you are "in". Paranoia? To a point. It can turn into a stigma. Why do children of registered gun owners have to go through psychological profiles?

Guns can be exquisite works of art. Strangely our most coveted ones were made and purchased in Germany. BTW Ruth4Truth - a decent shotgun will buy you a new Volvo. As far as value is concerned - I have seen user and collector guns go up by 500 to 1k % and more in the last ten years. Pre-paid waiting periods can be a year or more.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, you and I have had different experiences. I've actually had to protect myself using a gun (didn't have to shoot it - only had to hold it up, thank goodness), so I have a little different take on it. And if I'd called the police, I would have been a victim of crime by the time they got there, because I was in a very rural area. And I hate to think what sort of crime that would have been.

This leads me to another point. Especially in the South and West, many Americans live in very rural areas. Frankly, I prefer not to have to wait for the police to arrive if someone's breaking into my home in the middle of the night when I'm living out in the boonies.

And often, as in my case, it's merely the PRESENCE of a gun that does the trick. Like I said, all I had to do was hold that gun up for them to take off like bats out of hell.
You have me going down memory lane here
u tube bat out of hell - Bing Videos

Old 08-15-2014, 11:16 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
Aside of my brother who is a retired cop, I know only one other person with guns. That is out of the hundreds of people I know. She is retired military also.
You do realize that many people don't tell everyone they own/carry a gun, right? I legally carry almost everyday and almost no one knows it, and I'm not a cop. And I used to live in FL, and most people I knew owned a gun (at least the ones that told me).

Old 08-15-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
Your brother is a she?

Old 08-15-2014, 11:19 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwindsforever View Post
Sounds reasonable to me. In rural areas of Finland many have indeed locked gun cabinets. But the difference is that they seldomly shoot on unarmed people stepping on their property. Like in America.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Jeez, we all just shoot random people that step on our property? Unreal.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:21 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Your brother is a she?
Maybe my post wasn't clear. I was speaking of 2 people. One, my brother, a retiredcop who owns guns, and tw,oo a friend who is retired military and is female

Yes, it's possible I have friends who own guns who have never mentioned it, however it is not probable as ,generally speaking, I know how my friends view things such as weapons.

ETA, I've only been in FL for a couple of years and I don't really have friends here.I have no doubt that there are farmore guns down here than in New England Most of my friends are from the NE or Ca

Looking at some states my home states of RI and MA rate as 47th and 48th for gun ownership, which only 12% of people owning guns.
The rate for Fl is 25%

Old 08-15-2014, 11:39 AM

788 posts, read 1,249,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
You're missing the point.
No, you are missing the point. The point is, victims who defend themselves REact. They cause nothing, they start nothing, victimize nobody. The criminals act, the criminals cause, the criminals start.

And after they've been victimized - against their will, they encounter people like you who wave their finger in the faces of the victims, never in the faces of the criminals, that they, again, they being the victims, were wrong. People like you hurt the victims after they've already been hurt by the crime.

Last edited by Rozenn; 08-15-2014 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: Rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe