Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 08:43 AM

788 posts, read 1,248,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwindsforever View Post
But the difference is that they seldomly shoot on unarmed people stepping on their property. Like in America.
Are you intentionally framing? Americans do not shoot at unarmed people stepping on their property. They shoot at burglars and robbers. Someone coming on your property without malicious intent is not very likely to get shot. Unless you are referring to properties that belong to militia groups that shoot every everything and everyone.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
Are you intentionally framing? Americans do not shoot at unarmed people stepping on their property. They shoot at burglars and robbers. Someone coming on your property without malicious intent is not very likely to get shot. Unless you are referring to properties that belong to militia groups that shoot every everything and everyone.
LOL and those are hardly wide spread.

Not a problem. Don't try to rob my house and you won't get shot.

Here's the deal. In order to break into my house, a person would have to get past two 75 pound dogs who would be barking like crazy, and then the alarm system. If they are that hell bent to get in, I am pretty sure they're up to absolutely no good and the odds are that they're armed and dangerous. Once they've "breached the perimeter," all bets are off.

That being said, I doubt very seriously that I will ever have to actually shoot my gun to protect myself and my property. I live in a very low crime area and the only reason I've even got the level of protection I have is because I am alone so often (my husband works out of town a lot). It would be pretty easy for someone to figure that out and target my house for a break in.

A few years ago, when we lived in another area, our surveillance cameras actually caught someone going around my house trying to open windows. This was at 3 am and they were wearing all dark clothes, gloves, and a hoodie obscuring their face - and their accomplice was driving slowly around the neighborhood (that was caught on camera as well). The local police used our video in their investigation.

Yeah - if that guy had managed to get into my house, he would have probably been shot, and I don't apologize for having that attitude. Clearly he was up to no good, especially since he had actually already committed a series of robberies in the neighborhood. Now he's living off our tax dollars sitting in prison waiting to get out and do it again.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:03 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,815,620 times
This thread has taken a turn from "life style" to "gun control" and is going as stereotype as it can.
Does anyone who is not actively involved with ownership and handling bother do any research about LEGAL ownership and restrictions in the specific US states? NO! It was easier to get permits in Germany than in Texas. The best experience there was placing an order over the phone and the mail carrier dropping it off at a neighbors without signature. So much for gun control and restrictions:>)

Old 08-15-2014, 09:40 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,247,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
This thread has taken a turn from "life style" to "gun control" and is going as stereotype as it can.
It just shows that guns are very much part of the "American lifestyle" and part of everyday life amongst so many.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:06 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,061,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Owning a gun for protection from wildlife is very different to blowing away a housebreaker

Pesronally I have less fear from wildlife (extinct in most of Europe anyway) than from violent thugs. The US guy has a point there, in my opinion.
He, and you, have no point.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
You sounds exactly like your fellow Brit Piers Morgan.
The FACT is the police do not carry guns in the UK and there are very strict laws relating to owning and using such silly, needless items.
Quote:
It would be idiotic to outlaw guns here in the USA. It would basically mean that criminals would have access to all types of illegal guns and law-abiding citizens would be unable to defend their properties or act in self-defense legally when needed.
It would make sense to outlaw guns anywhere on earth. That includes the restriction of supply and ownership. Heavy penalties for breaking any gun law. If you do not want burglars get an alarm not a silly gun. My alarm works brilliantly and one has ever attempted to get in.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I never thought about critiquing countries based on their beers.
A good yardstick.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:19 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,247,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post

Pesronally I have less fear from wildlife (extinct in most of Europe anyway)
There is a place in Finland named Suomussalmi. A friend of mine saw ten bears there last weekend. 2 cubs were climbing in a pine. These bears wander over the border to Russia as they please.

If you don't believe me, do a Google search on bears and Suomussalmi.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 08-15-2014 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: 2 cubs not 3

Old 08-15-2014, 10:27 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,795,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
Ok, you want to shoot a burglar/robber or whatever. Say you have a .45 cal pistol. You shoot him/her once in the stomach and once in the head. You have never being so nervous in your life. Already pulling the trigger demands all your physical force you have. You do a bad hit in the head. Say you stand 2m from him, so you won't be hit by the residue, but the .45 makes a 2-3 cm carve in the side of his head. There will fly pieces of his skull and brain matter will be all over the place. The stomach will start bleeding the second you hit him there, and there will be a lot of blood. The blood will be all over the place, coming through his clothes and just spread out like termites. He will most likely not die in an instant, there will be 5 seconds of him sobbing, crying for his mother, the blood will pour out of his mouth and he begs for mercy and help, though it's too late. The stench will be intolerable, as his intestines will smell so bad, but the blood will smell sweet. You will see him drenched in his blood, his brain might be visible, and that's a sight you won't forget. The smell and residue will not just leave. You have to clean up the whole place over and over again. And every time you walk to the place of the incident, you will be reminded of what you did, every single time.

Then he comes in your sleep. You start to see dreams of him, either when he's alive or dead. Every single night. Then you start to have second thoughts. "What if he had a family, a wife, kids? What if he just was mistaken of the door, what if he was drunk? Could I avoid this situation by just giving him 3€ for the bus?" How much you'd wan't to depict him as a ruthless criminal who wanted to kill your children, you won't believe it yourself in the end.

Then the cops will interrogate you. "Am I charged with murder? Am I going to jail? Did I destroy my future?" You can't sleep, you can't get it off your mind. Whatever you think of, you'll be second-guessing. You start to figure out different scenarios, all ending to that you didn't kill him. You will start thinking what your family and co-workers think about it.

It's not like in the movies, when you just pop someone and he has a nice 9 mm shot in the head, or war, where you shoot someone from a 100-150 m distance. And even with that many people can't cope with. You blasted someone in your home, at a very short distance, saw what the result was, and you'll feel bad about it for the rest of your life. And you can't forget it. You're a murderer. You took someone's life.

Just think about it when you have these violence fantasies. It's ugly, it's dirty, it's terrifying - and it's wrong.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:27 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwindsforever View Post
It just shows that guns are very much part of the "American lifestyle" and part of everyday life amongst so many.
That is not really accurate. In liberal areas of the country, it is not common for average middle-class people to have or carry guns. Among the lower class in inner cities, guns may be more common among gang members and people like that.

Also, some people may have rifles for hunting but that's different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe