Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 07:34 PM

788 posts, read 1,249,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Were you going to address the point that tasing people is just as effective in deterring them, as shooting to kill?
Why don't we test that? We go live next to each other and will have a clear sign that says that burglars in your house get tasered and in my house get shot between the eyes. The winner will be the ones with the least burglaries.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:13 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
Why don't we test that? We go live next to each other and will have a clear sign that says that burglars in your house get tasered and in my house get shot between the eyes. The winner will be the ones with the least burglaries.
Dude, you sound over-eager to blow people up. Hostile, much? Why blow a guy's brains out if he's unarmed? If you hear someone breaking in, or prowling around, call the cops. If you try to shoot him, he might be armed, and he might be a better shot than you. Let the cops handle it, that's what they're for. And get a better house alarm.

This is one part of the American lifestyle Europeans don't envy. How can you envy a country where little kids get a hold of their parents' gun and accidentally shoot a sibling or a friend? And where mentally disturbed young people have easy access to guns, and shoot up a theater, a restaurant or a school?

Last edited by NewbiePoster; 08-14-2014 at 10:22 PM..

Old 08-15-2014, 05:49 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
They can't sue you for tasing them.
Google "law suit taser" and get ready to spend some time.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:51 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
Texas Castle Law is well and alive. Our neighbor has a huge sign on the house (metal artwork showing two pistols). It reads "we do not call 911".

Old 08-15-2014, 06:11 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Texas Castle Law is well and alive. Our neighbor has a huge sign on the house (metal artwork showing two pistols). It reads "we do not call 911".
I've heard many Americans wear T-shirts which reads "I DON'T CALL 911".

Old 08-15-2014, 06:11 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
First, in most countries in Europe armed burglaries are very uncommon. So you end up shooting an unarmed person. Organised crime groups seldom break into homes, often the burglars are desperate people who probably aren't even prepared to use violence. Might be kids, even.

It's easy to have violence-fantasies on the Internet and be so macho and bloodthirsty, but has actually anyone here shot anybody? I don't think so, and neither have I. It's a very long path from taking the weapon from the cabinet to pulling the trigger on someone. What if it's a Latvian 18-year old boy? Or a Guatemalan 20-year old escaped prostitute and human traffic victim? You just blast their brains out on your Persian mat and go back to sleep? Not bloody likely.

As in for example rape, it's equally easy to depict burglars and rapists as evil heartless drug-addict criminals that deserve to die, when in fact the majority of rapes are committed by husbands or family members. You really want to castrate your brother and feed him his balls as you might preach? I don't think so.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:21 AM

788 posts, read 1,249,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Dude, you sound over-eager to blow people up. Hostile, much? Why blow a guy's brains out if he's unarmed?
Great another one who is mostly concerned with telling victims that they have not right to, but shutting up towards the real criminals. What is if with you people that when a real victims defends himself or herself you all come running saying that defending should not happen but you people never ever go to criminals telling them that they should not commit crimes. Telling criminals that committing crimes is wrong and that not cimmitting crimes solves all the problems.

No I do not blow people up, I am fed up with crime and the impact it has on the lives of victims. Why do you not write "why break into a person's home when you know it is illegal and has a serious impact on the victim?".

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
This is one part of the American lifestyle Europeans don't envy.
First, Europeans is a group of 350 million people, do not speak for all of them. Second, which is that part? The part where people do have a right to defend themselves against criminals? Or the next part that you write, which occurs much less in other countries like Canada and Australia.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
I've been home twice when there was breaking and entering happening. (2 different locations.) Both times, the burgler didn't know anyone was home. The first time, I left and called police from a safe distance. Not a big deal. The second time, it turned out to be a kid who ran as soon as he realized there was someone home. I didn't even have to say "boo".

There's no reason to go shooting people up, most of the time. And again, a taser would do the job if you had to immobilize someone.
Well, you and I have had different experiences. I've actually had to protect myself using a gun (didn't have to shoot it - only had to hold it up, thank goodness), so I have a little different take on it. And if I'd called the police, I would have been a victim of crime by the time they got there, because I was in a very rural area. And I hate to think what sort of crime that would have been.

This leads me to another point. Especially in the South and West, many Americans live in very rural areas. Frankly, I prefer not to have to wait for the police to arrive if someone's breaking into my home in the middle of the night when I'm living out in the boonies.

And often, as in my case, it's merely the PRESENCE of a gun that does the trick. Like I said, all I had to do was hold that gun up for them to take off like bats out of hell.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:53 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, you and I have had different experiences. I've actually had to protect myself using a gun (didn't have to shoot it - only had to hold it up, thank goodness), so I have a little different take on it. And if I'd called the police, I would have been a victim of crime by the time they got there, because I was in a very rural area. And I hate to think what sort of crime that would have been.

This leads me to another point. Especially in the South and West, many Americans live in very rural areas. Frankly, I prefer not to have to wait for the police to arrive if someone's breaking into my home in the middle of the night when I'm living out in the boonies.

And often, as in my case, it's merely the PRESENCE of a gun that does the trick. Like I said, all I had to do was hold that gun up for them to take off like bats out of hell.
And this would be the exception for me personally. In a rural area I might have a gun, especially now that my kids are adults. I'd probably never live in arural area though.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:35 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
And this would be the exception for me personally. In a rural area I might have a gun, especially now that my kids are adults.
Sounds reasonable to me. In rural areas of Finland many have indeed locked gun cabinets. But the difference is that they seldomly shoot on unarmed people stepping on their property. Like in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe