Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 02:53 PM

20,767 posts, read 19,992,197 times

Advertisements

Germans have less preservatives and less sugar in their products as the US.

If you eat a pie, it is fresh. No pink or bright green stuff on it.

The baked goods are good for 2-3 days, not weeks.

Can't beat the taste of fresh prepared food.

Also, when you go in a restaurant in Germany and order food, it is not uncommon that you wait 30-50 minutes until you get served with your dish. I am not sure, but I don't think the cook is slow - it might mean the food is prepared freshly and not precooked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 03:27 PM

293 posts, read 317,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I don't know, but food and drink always taste better on vacation.
Association with causation fallacy.

Also spending a summer somewhere for work or study isn't exactly a vacation for most.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:30 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,464,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthejetplane View Post
A few years back I had spent a summer in Europe, particularly in Berlin. I also traveled from place to place throughout central Europe. I had to admit, whether I would have a beer or enjoy a snack or meal the food and quality of drinks seemed to exceed the average mark of their North American counterparts. Most everything I tasted, from cheese to certain types of meat and produce, seemed to have a higher quality of taste. It was often more rich and had a more unique burst of flavor. Beer for example was always incredibly smooth and not overly carbonated or bitter. Cheese have a rich and soft texture that wasn't salty. Bread, above all, concisely tasted fresh with a crunchy crush and soft interior texture.

I hate to stereotype as North America is still a large bread basket and produces quality food. Something about European food however really sets it apart in quality from North America. Things such as beer is understandable considering that there is a long tradition of strict brewing laws in parts of central Europe. Other food though still seems to bring up questions though. It is usually reasonably priced and the quality seems amazing. If you want the same taste in North America you would need to pay extra for imported products.

Anyone care to share their thoughts? So far the only conclusion I came come to is Europe is more strict in protecting small farms and small business related to food service and food production.
I think you're right, bread tastes better over there, as do a lot of things.

But think of it as quality over quantity.

Here when Kraft makes cheese they're making it for 300 million people. When a small local farmer makes cheese it's going to be an artisan product.

You can get the same quality of food in the USA as in Europe, it's just more expensive and made in smaller batches.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:53 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,438,741 times
There's something special about the food there in Europe.
Does pizza in America ever taste the same once you've experience a slice of pizza in Italy ....

Old 06-10-2014, 09:18 PM

79 posts, read 111,624 times
Actually I found quite the opposite; many ethnic foods taste way better in America than what they do in Europe. Spanish, Italian, French, Greek and other nationalities food taste better in many American restaurants than what they do in Europe. Obviously this may vary by country and restaurant.

My professor from France said that you can get better French food in NYC than you can find in France.

Food in Sweden is amazing, but in other countries not a fan.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,465,558 times
5 years in france.
yes the food is better. but there is a lot less of it and it costs a lot more.
but of course you are rich so that is not an issue.
like my friend gloria says in the hood
huck when you got money every place is mardi gras.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:08 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,134,711 times
It's difficult to find really good bread here in the U.S., even at the supermarket bakery. In Spain, everywhere you went had delicious bread.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:23 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,448,827 times
I too prefer European food - and it bears repeating - quality over quantity. Especially when dining out.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:28 PM

103 posts, read 129,132 times
I also prefer the food in many areas of Europe.

Event the fast food was better... the McDonald's in the area have to use local farmers' meats and their pastries are locally baked.

SO GOOD!

Old 06-11-2014, 11:32 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,539,324 times
Germany seems to take bread and cheese very seriously. I think basic ingredients tend to be more or less the real deal and there are fewer options for super processed, crappy ingredients like Ja!. I also love how herbs come in little pots with soil and you have to pull them off the stems yourself.

I noticed that here I can buy a huge variety of weird tropical fruits and vegetables that are imported year round, but Germany seems to use more localized produce. I noticed the same in Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe