Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2014, 07:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Every country has it's shining stars. For me, Germany excels in beer, and breads, and desserts. Oh and sausages if you're into that, which I'm not. France has fabulous cheeses. I love fish and chips and afternoon tea in England. Japan has amazing seafood. So does Korea for that matter.

The US has Cajun and Tex Mex cuisines as well as BBQ and southern/aka soul food.

Healthy, organic, natural foods are available in just about any western country. You just have to know where to shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 08:51 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Healthy, organic, natural foods are available in just about any western country. You just have to know where to shop.
I liked HEB in Texas but good food is just way too expensive in the US. Prices at places like Trader Joe's in other parts of the US are like 3 - 5 times what you pay over here in Europe. Oddly enough, they sell Trader Joe's products here at ALDI in Europe, which is a discounter. You may be able to find good food in the US but you overpay for it very much.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:45 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svicious22 View Post
I've found very mixed results in Europe. Overall, definitely no better in Europe and more expensive for equal quality but for certain things much better on average. Tomatoes in Italy are amazing compared to most of the crap here in the US. Produce in Greece and France is also good. Meats are much less convincing, I've had but one steak that was anywhere near as good as a typical top quality US steak, and it was imported to London from Argentina. I've given up on steak in France. But cold cuts and sausages tend to be better in Europe. Cheeses are a toss up, although it's easier to avoid crap in Europe. Chicken tends to be more flavorful in Europe, but seafood is a crapshoot anywhere.

Worst pizza in the world-Belgium, worst American-style bar food, England...and Mexican food in France isn't so good. Chinese food is the same on both sides of the Atlantic. The lowest common denominator food is a cut above in Europe vs. the US but if you are willing to spend a little more the US will typically reward you with superior variety and value..but all too often mealy tomatoes and tasteless fruit as well.

Here's something that will make you all pass out. I prefer Pizza Hut pizza over Italy's pizza. I know, I know, don't even say it. Pizza Hut (on a par with Papa John's, Domino's, and all well-known, national U.S. pizza makers, U.S. pizza restaurants and U.S. pizza products) are made with nasty ingredients, toxins, all kinds of trash. Still, I can't help it. Pizza Hut's pizza has such a crispiness, the taste is yummy... Ah, just put me in a double wide, stick me in Texas, and call me white trash when it comes to that. I also love Twinkies, and they are probably worse than a dose of hemlock.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:47 AM

26,773 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I liked HEB in Texas but good food is just way too expensive in the US. Prices at places like Trader Joe's in other parts of the US are like 3 - 5 times what you pay over here in Europe. Oddly enough, they sell Trader Joe's products here at ALDI in Europe, which is a discounter. You may be able to find good food in the US but you overpay for it very much.
That would be my observation as well.
Overall in Europe food is more expensive of course, but if you try to find food of European quality in the US, you pay twice as much.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Here's something that will make you all pass out. I prefer Pizza Hut pizza over Italy's pizza. I know, I know, don't even say it. Pizza Hut (on a par with Papa John's, Domino's, and all well-known, national U.S. pizza makers, U.S. pizza restaurants and U.S. pizza products) are made with nasty ingredients, toxins, all kinds of trash. Still, I can't help it. Pizza Hut's pizza has such a crispiness, the taste is yummy... Ah, just put me in a double wide, stick me in Texas, and call me white trash when it comes to that. I also love Twinkies, and they are probably worse than a dose of hemlock.
Ha-ha, I prefer American pizza to Italian one as well...

Old 06-28-2014, 11:59 AM

24,471 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Ever checked what "the rest of the story" costs in the US versus Europe versus European pay checks? A decent rib eye will run you anywhere from 15-20 Euros in Germany. That makes up for the butter lettuce.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:04 PM

1,470 posts, read 2,077,681 times
Restaurants are cheaper and more competitive in large, cosmopolitan US cities.

As to quality, better quality for the price, (I'm excluding regional cuisines).

Why? Taxes are lower, more space, and the survival rate in shorter, proving that competition is tough.

I'n talking about family-owned goid quality restaurants.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:13 PM

1,470 posts, read 2,077,681 times
Quote:

Trader Joe is junk food.
Aldi is a German chain of supermarkets that sell wursts, greek yogurts in pails and assorted German junk food.
The only quality restaurants that are more expensive in the US are those kitschy premises were Americans take their sweethearts for some reason. The rest are way cheaper.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Trader Joe is junk food.
Aldi is a German chain of supermarkets that sell wursts, greek yogurts in pails and assorted German junk food.
The only quality restaurants that are more expensive in the US are those kitschy premises were Americans take their sweethearts for some reason. The rest are way cheaper.
Hmmm... here in the US ( at least in my neck of woods) Aldi is a discount store when it comes to the US products. German products ( or whatever they have left of them, since their assortment dwindled down in the last few years) is anything but "junk food." No "wursts" there, but whatever I bough (mostly sweets and marinades ( mushrooms, artichokes,) or fruit preserves were of the finest quality.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Every country has it's shining stars. For me, Germany excels in beer, and breads, and desserts.
I am not into "sausages" all that much, but if you even take breakfast - coffee, bread and cold cuts ( cheese, cold cuts of meat) it bursts with flavor in Germany, where in the US - not so much, ( be that bread cheese OR meat.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe