Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 05:54 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,080,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Why does anyone need to invent healthy food? What is health nut or kilometer zero? Never heard those.

And there's no point in denying that many things that are a common practice in the US, like almost unrestricted GMO, growth hormone in meat, some artificial colours and preservatives are banned by law in the EU. Even the amount of trans-fats consumed is hundred times lower in the EU than the US.

Maybe the Americans had to invent "health food", because a lot of what the Americans consume daily would never get past the EU countries' food inspection departments. And many Europeans learn to eat "health food" immediately from their mothers' breasts. And that is done in public as well.

A challenge: give the reasons why Americans think of McDonald's to be the ultimate gross crap.

There are many things banned in the EU..and many things banned in the US and not in the EU.

It all depends on Lobbies on Washington and Brussels..not on consumer's health. Don't forget that Americans also invented "Consumerism" (Ralph Nader).

Of course, Americans generalized "Health Food", invented the marvels of the "Mediterranean Diet", "Slow Food", "Kilometer Zero"...etc, etc...because they were the first to industrialize food.

After all, they have been eating TV Dinners and frozen pizzas for generations, not to talk about franchises that emerged during the 50's.

And most of those alerts and prohibitions also come from the US.

Healthy eating habits in the US and in Europe are correlated with culture and income level. In other words, poor peole tend to be obese.

What makes the US..and the EU is striding fast...a country packed with obese people is the way of life, not food.

I mean, my grandparents that lived high in the mountains only ate sausages stored in fat, cheese and bread during the winter...but they were sheppards..had to walk many kilometers.

Last edited by Miserere; 06-18-2014 at 06:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 10:31 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,737,287 times
I love the vast choices available in Europe, and the fact that you can get fresh food. In Spain, supermarkets have fish delivery daily, and cooking was awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthejetplane View Post
A few years back I had spent a summer in Europe, particularly in Berlin. I also traveled from place to place throughout central Europe. I had to admit, whether I would have a beer or enjoy a snack or meal the food and quality of drinks seemed to exceed the average mark of their North American counterparts. Most everything I tasted, from cheese to certain types of meat and produce, seemed to have a higher quality of taste. It was often more rich and had a more unique burst of flavor. Beer for example was always incredibly smooth and not overly carbonated or bitter. Cheese have a rich and soft texture that wasn't salty. Bread, above all, concisely tasted fresh with a crunchy crush and soft interior texture.

I hate to stereotype as North America is still a large bread basket and produces quality food. Something about European food however really sets it apart in quality from North America. Things such as beer is understandable considering that there is a long tradition of strict brewing laws in parts of central Europe. Other food though still seems to bring up questions though. It is usually reasonably priced and the quality seems amazing. If you want the same taste in North America you would need to pay extra for imported products.

Anyone care to share their thoughts? So far the only conclusion I came come to is Europe is more strict in protecting small farms and small business related to food service and food production.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:30 AM

338 posts, read 335,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Sure, keep dreaming pal.
You see one point in common with all your sentence? "Italian", don't you wonder why?
By the way, eat and let eat, pay me a call when the US will be on the top of cuisine ranking in the world lol
What is "US Cuisine"?
Cajun/Creole? BBQ? Steamed seafood?
Who are Americans? How would they create food without drawing some inspiration from their immigigrants? Should a brand new cuisine have popped up with no borrowings whatsoever right in the middle of the US?

Or is this the defining dish:
Chemical Apple Pie (No Apple Apple Pie) Recipe - Allrecipes.com
People on the Oregon trail would make this with leftover crackers as apples were to hard to find.
This screams American doesn't it?

Italian cuisine seems to have a strong foot there, and I do notice, Italian Americans still seem to be easy to distinguish in appearances at times, sometimes you may ever refer to them as "Italian" not as an nationality but more of a race, same with some Irish-americans I have met, they are "Irish" the same way a person can be "black", they aren't "Irish people". Many other americans on the other hand are all but fully diluted. Hence Italian is possibly mentioned so much.

Last edited by Mahhammer; 06-18-2014 at 11:40 AM..

Old 06-19-2014, 10:21 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Maybe because you have had to wait longer to have it served. Even airline food tastes good, after sitting there for 30 minutes watching the dinner cart being slowly wheeled down the aisle. Even hospital food tastes good, after listening for a half hour to the cart being rattled in the corridor.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:17 AM

338 posts, read 335,330 times
I usually ask if they have leftover indian vegetarian meals on some flights, I have at least 2 of them.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:01 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Fifteen years ago I would have agreed with the OP about better food in Europe. Not really Berlin, though. However, times have changed and now I greatly prefer the quality and options available in the US. Especially in California.
We are blessed in CA. In every sense of the word.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
This is interesting, because Americans continue to get fatter and fatter, and while Americans were at one put the tallest and arguably the healthiest people in the world, this is no longer the case - not even remotely.

I guess large portion sizes are to blame.
It is far more complicated than that - but large portions do contribute. People tend to overeat foods that are processed, and a whole lot of processed food is consumed here. Further, nearly every processed food item contains genetically modified corn, genetically modified soy, or a combination of both.

People also live very sedentary lives for the double-whammy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
American wine in general is awful, especially when price is taken into account. And while there is very good food in the US, it is not common other than in big cities and expensive areas. It is hard to find bad food in much of western Europe. And the wine is what the world looks to emulate.
Maybe you should make a distinction between California wine and American wine. Have you not heard of the Judgment of Paris? Amazing what happens when the so-called experts must taste test blind. Hmm.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment_of_Paris_(wine)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahhammer View Post
I usually ask if they have leftover indian vegetarian meals on some flights, I have at least 2 of them.
This made me laugh.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:53 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,080,580 times
Food tastes better when you are on holidays. Tourists usually eat tourist food.
We have a town packed with radical left rednecks four KM inland from where I live...one of them visited NY and came back explaining that Americans don't have restaurants, but eat hotdogs they buy in little carts by the road...

Old 06-25-2014, 10:44 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
There is great food on both sides of the pond. There are local specialties on both sides of the pond. OK food, good food, great food - what makes it that? Environment, ambience, mood, unusualness, hunger, ... Most of us tend to spend more and be more adventurous when not in our normal environment. Spaghetti in a school cafeteria and spaghetti overlooking a plaza in Rome:>)
You get what you pay for. Some things are less because of locale and demand, some things are more because of locale and demand. From wild game to chips. Buffalo steak in Montana versus Buffalo steak in Munich, Doritos in Los Angeles versus Doritos in Paris.
Food decisions are an individual's choice. It is easier if you do not have financial constraints but you can live healthy on a low budget everywhere in the US and in Europe. Convenience is also a choice. I have not seen as many convenience products from pizza to pre-sliced cold cuts and vacuum packed sushi as in Germany/Italy/France.
So far we lived in seven US states - fresh food is available from WA to TX. I had a hard time finding steak cuts in Germany and Spain but alcohol is a lot more readily available (nothing like drunk teenagers hanging out at bus stops) and dirt cheap. No-smoking seems to get interpreted as more-smoking going by the butts in public transportation, on the streets, all over.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:59 PM

271 posts, read 369,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthejetplane View Post
A few years back I had spent a summer in Europe, particularly in Berlin. I also traveled from place to place throughout central Europe. I had to admit, whether I would have a beer or enjoy a snack or meal the food and quality of drinks seemed to exceed the average mark of their North American counterparts. Most everything I tasted, from cheese to certain types of meat and produce, seemed to have a higher quality of taste. It was often more rich and had a more unique burst of flavor. Beer for example was always incredibly smooth and not overly carbonated or bitter. Cheese have a rich and soft texture that wasn't salty. Bread, above all, concisely tasted fresh with a crunchy crush and soft interior texture.

I hate to stereotype as North America is still a large bread basket and produces quality food. Something about European food however really sets it apart in quality from North America. Things such as beer is understandable considering that there is a long tradition of strict brewing laws in parts of central Europe. Other food though still seems to bring up questions though. It is usually reasonably priced and the quality seems amazing. If you want the same taste in North America you would need to pay extra for imported products.

Anyone care to share their thoughts? So far the only conclusion I came come to is Europe is more strict in protecting small farms and small business related to food service and food production.

It is all about where you go both in United States and Europe. France has a lot of terrible and cheap places but also luxury restaurants. The average is pretty good in France. When it comes to food we all know that the average is great in a few countries in Europe. The worst food country in Europe is Finland. Finland has likely the most disgusting cuisine in Europe. It does not matter if you are a pizza, a burger, fish or whatever – when you get your plate you will see a boiled dead animal on it with some lingonberry jam on the side and when you tell them that it was not what your order they will stare at you and say “Hirvi” and point at your plate. You may be out jogging and jump into a restaurant just to order a soft drink or something. Instead of getting a soft drink you get a mini-bottle of vodka. You tell the waiter that you order a Sprite and not liquor. The waiter will just stare at you and say one word: Koskenkorva.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:36 PM

905 posts, read 791,912 times
I've found very mixed results in Europe. Overall, definitely no better in Europe and more expensive for equal quality but for certain things much better on average. Tomatoes in Italy are amazing compared to most of the crap here in the US. Produce in Greece and France is also good. Meats are much less convincing, I've had but one steak that was anywhere near as good as a typical top quality US steak, and it was imported to London from Argentina. I've given up on steak in France. But cold cuts and sausages tend to be better in Europe. Cheeses are a toss up, although it's easier to avoid crap in Europe. Chicken tends to be more flavorful in Europe, but seafood is a crapshoot anywhere.

Worst pizza in the world-Belgium, worst American-style bar food, England...and Mexican food in France isn't so good. Chinese food is the same on both sides of the Atlantic. The lowest common denominator food is a cut above in Europe vs. the US but if you are willing to spend a little more the US will typically reward you with superior variety and value..but all too often mealy tomatoes and tasteless fruit as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe