Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 10:51 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,077,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not at all. It's mostly international cuisine that can be spicy: Thai, Mexican, and a few regional cuisines (Cajun). Typical American food--meatloaf, roast beef, roast chicken, various vegetable dishes, aren't spicy at all.

In fact, traditional American food does not even has garlic..and any seasoning comes from sauces, from foreign sauces such as Ketchup (Chinese), Lea Perrins, etc. Take the most typical American food, baked beans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 11:03 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Yes, the US have better and healthier ingredients for a price. I just said that Italian-American cuisine is tastier, more delicuous and usually more caloric, not talking about simplicity.
No, Italian cuisine in Italy changes every few kilometers, that's their advantage.
Italy is packed with franchises, there are many vomitive Italian franchises and the MAMMA doesn't have time to cook nowdays!!
Italian cuisine is considered the best in the world by Italians, your MAMMA's food is always the better.
lol
Italy has one the strictest law in the world concerning food and you expect us to believe that in the US, motherland of McDonalds, GMO etc, you can find "better and healthier" ingredients?
Double lol
Many franchises? Like in the US? triple lol
Sure, when you'll find an Italian-American restaurant outside the US give me a call.
Plus, what would it be the "American" contribution? Ketchup and fries? Pizza with "salami" and "macaroni" ?
For God's sake, don't play riddicolous.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:39 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,077,991 times
American invented Health Food, and the term "Health Nut" and "Slow Food", "Kilometer Zero" and the theory about "Mediterranean food" almost 40 years ago.
Most Italian Restaurants/Chinese Restaurants sell dishes created in the US.
Pizza came through NY, not through Naples.
Until Sinatra started to eat American pizza, PIZZA was completely unknwon outside Naples.
Italy has no serious law for nothing.
I know that you feel very proud of your ancestors, but I live here and I own a restaurant.
Italian American restaurants in Europe, give it or take 60 percent outside Italy.
Italian wine yucks, by the way.
Their extra virgin olive oil, a fraud.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:59 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
Quote:
American invented Health Food, and the term "Health Nut" and "Slow Food", "Kilometer Zero" and the theory about "Mediterranean food" almost 40 years ago.
Why does anyone need to invent healthy food? What is health nut or kilometer zero? Never heard those.

And there's no point in denying that many things that are a common practice in the US, like almost unrestricted GMO, growth hormone in meat, some artificial colours and preservatives are banned by law in the EU. Even the amount of trans-fats consumed is hundred times lower in the EU than the US.

Maybe the Americans had to invent "health food", because a lot of what the Americans consume daily would never get past the EU countries' food inspection departments. And many Europeans learn to eat "health food" immediately from their mothers' breasts. And that is done in public as well.

A challenge: give the reasons why Americans think of McDonald's to be the ultimate gross crap.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:45 PM

338 posts, read 334,915 times
I'm more jealous of the lack of a cuban tobacco ban. The reason why gas station cigars are so crappy in the US is the embargo and subsequent loss of nearby production and demand. Phillies was once worth smoking on its own according to my granddad, now the only thing its good for is something else.

American cuisine is European cuisine, everything is the result of immigrants. German and Czech immigrants combined with caribbean people moving to the south brought BBQ, Scottish immigrant and African slaves brought fried chicken, the Acadians created Cajun food, its a shame their dialect is dying, and many others creole food.
But we could attribute every dish to some other place, how far back should one go?

Old 06-15-2014, 01:01 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,687,950 times
Are we taking just the USA? Corn products and Chocolate are from the Americas. Squash and all sorts of pumpkin dishes are ours . New England has some very unique regional cuisine. My home state of RI has some pretty unique foods, much of it seafood based. Quahogs, Stuffed clams, clam cakes , fried clams etc etc.
There are some really really good regional specialties in the USA, like in Europe.
Not all of us head for fast food daily. I'd say most of us don't.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:40 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,127 times
Quote:
Until Sinatra started to eat American pizza, PIZZA was completely unknwon outside Naples.
I know that you feel very proud of your ancestors, but I live here and I own a restaurant.
Italian American restaurants in Europe, give it or take 60 percent outside Italy.
Sure, keep dreaming pal.
You see one point in common with all your sentence? "Italian", don't you wonder why?
By the way, eat and let eat, pay me a call when the US will be on the top of cuisine ranking in the world lol

Old 06-15-2014, 04:44 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Maybe the Americans had to invent "health food", because a lot of what the Americans consume daily would never get past the EU countries' food inspection departments.
This is what I've been saying throughout this entire thread. European food is already health food, they don't need special grocery stores for it. It's ordinary.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:44 PM

217 posts, read 277,113 times
Quote:
Slow food, like all the other things youre talking about, started in Italy: Slow Food - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There is corruption with food though in Italy though, and most olive oil in the world is produced in Spain. Sometimes spanish olive oil is bottled in Italy and labeled italian for example. Ive liked quite a lot of actual Italian wines though, dont know how you could just generalize all of them as yuck.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:19 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
In Germany you can get a cheeseburger in a can.

I assume you throw away the cheesburger and just eat the can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe