Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 02:55 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,538,990 times

Advertisements

Immigration can work or not work. It's neither inherently good or bad. The problem with the wave of refugees that came to Europe in 2015 is most were single men with few work skills, they came on foot and were not vetted, and the enormous number. There's no way even affluent Germany can properly house the refugees they have now and more are coming. This is a disaster, no doubt the greatest crisis Europe has been through since WW2. And it's self inflicted due to Pathological Altruism.

By comparison how does the refugee system work in the USA? The most recent Syrian refugees arrived in my metro area. They are sponsored by a church, are given a house in a rough neighborhood that is home to a few other Middle Eastern refugee families. They can walk to a small mosque and several Halal restaurants. They are given help to learn English and adjust to the American way of doing things. And it was an entire family, not 750k single men in their 20s.

The average Muslim in the USA is above average in income and education. Many are engineers, doctors, or small business owners. We take in the elites. Europe mostly takes poor, angry, fundamentalists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 04:42 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,895,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
After all this fearmongering, one have to realise that Europe recieved some 1.1 million refugees last year. There are 550 million people living in the European Union. 60-70% of these refugees are eventually deported, so you have to understand that the sudden and dramatical refugee situation is a drop in the water. It's like comparing to that the US congress gets one person from a third party, and suddenly Democrats and Republicans say the congress is overwhelmed with communists.

After WWII, tens of millions of people were displaced, and the population was way lower. How did Europe do? They did well.

In 2016 there will be less refugees coming to Europe, as we don't have an open border policy.

I can't stress these facts enough. A DROP IN THE WATER.
I would love to see the source of your 60-70% of deported because I doubt it.
Why?
Because to deport a person you need an infinitely long bureaucratic process, you need to ascertain that he/she won't be harmed in his/her country (and the immigrant will lie), you need to have an agreement with the , you have to triple-check their status and so forth.
Secondly,EU Refugee Crisis 2016: 10 Million More Asylum Seekers Heading To Europe, German Official Warns
Even cutting the number by half there are 5,5 million people supposedly headed for Europe.
Thirdly, we may not have an 'open border policy' but on average 3,500 people have got inside Germany per day this winter.
Let's imagine in spring and summer.
Do you remember the outcry when Hungary built its wall?

Old 01-13-2016, 01:49 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,341,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
After all this fearmongering, one have to realise that Europe recieved some 1.1 million refugees last year. There are 550 million people living in the European Union. 60-70% of these refugees are eventually deported, so you have to understand that the sudden and dramatical refugee situation is a drop in the water. It's like comparing to that the US congress gets one person from a third party, and suddenly Democrats and Republicans say the congress is overwhelmed with communists.

After WWII, tens of millions of people were displaced, and the population was way lower. How did Europe do? They did well.

In 2016 there will be less refugees coming to Europe, as we don't have an open border policy.

I can't stress these facts enough. A DROP IN THE WATER.
Alone Germany has received about 1.1 million "refugees", Germany has a population of 80 millions, 16 having a migration background, this is 25% of the population, of course not all people having a migration background are Muslims, I guess half of them, the rest are Russian-Germans, Italians, Greeks, etc. no problem with them, but you must consider the demographical aspect, the 1.1 million refugees are for the most part young men, this is what the New York Times has written:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/10/op...rink.html?_r=2

Quote:
In Sweden, for instance, which like Germany has had an open door, 71 percent of all asylum applicants in 2015 were men. Among the mostly-late-teenage category of “unaccompanied minors,” as Valerie Hudson points out in an important essay for Politico,” the ratios were even more skewed: “11.3 boys for every one girl.”
[...]
In the German case the important number here isn’t the country’s total population, currently 82 million. It’s the twentysomething population, which was less than 10 million in 2013 (and of course already included many immigrants). In that cohort and every cohort afterward, the current influx could have a transformative effect.
Personally I see little hope for Germany and other countries like the UK, France, Belgium, the Netherlands and possibly Sweden, I am thinking about imigrating either to Northern-Italy or eastern Europe, hopefully they will withstand the ongoing Islamization.

At least in Germany, nobody will deport them soon, of 1.1 millions "refugees" the minor are Syrians, the rest are the de facto illegal immigrants from the Balkans or Northern Africa, disguising themselves as Syrians with fake passports, none the less nobody will them throw out, this will take no good end.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:56 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,883,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
I would love to see the source of your 60-70% of deported because I doubt it.
Why?
Because to deport a person you need an infinitely long bureaucratic process, you need to ascertain that he/she won't be harmed in his/her country (and the immigrant will lie), you need to have an agreement with the , you have to triple-check their status and so forth.
Secondly,EU Refugee Crisis 2016: 10 Million More Asylum Seekers Heading To Europe, German Official Warns
Even cutting the number by half there are 5,5 million people supposedly headed for Europe.
Thirdly, we may not have an 'open border policy' but on average 3,500 people have got inside Germany per day this winter.
Let's imagine in spring and summer.
Do you remember the outcry when Hungary built its wall?
You have to look in individual countries. There is no harmonised deportation process. In 2015 Finland gave roughly 35% of the refugees asylum. The rest are deported in due time, IE, we put them on a plane and off they go.

If it trend continues like in the first weeks of January, Finland will recieve 50% of the refugees it got last year. Sweden and Germany have speeded up the deportation process.

Browse the news. I find the whole debate quite tedious, boring, and totally out of any proportion, and won't do the job for you.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:28 PM

102,293 posts, read 108,390,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Immigration can work or not work. It's neither inherently good or bad. The problem with the wave of refugees that came to Europe in 2015 is most were single men with few work skills, they came on foot and were not vetted, and the enormous number. There's no way even affluent Germany can properly house the refugees they have now and more are coming. This is a disaster, no doubt the greatest crisis Europe has been through since WW2. And it's self inflicted due to Pathological Altruism.

By comparison how does the refugee system work in the USA? The most recent Syrian refugees arrived in my metro area. They are sponsored by a church, are given a house in a rough neighborhood that is home to a few other Middle Eastern refugee families. They can walk to a small mosque and several Halal restaurants. They are given help to learn English and adjust to the American way of doing things. And it was an entire family, not 750k single men in their 20s.

The average Muslim in the USA is above average in income and education. Many are engineers, doctors, or small business owners. We take in the elites. Europe mostly takes poor, angry, fundamentalists.
There are, or have been in the past, single men among Muslims entering the US. But they're able to get jobs fairly quickly. Others in their communities offer them simple jobs so they can get started, or they drive taxicabs. This gives them a means to support themselves at least minimally, and to feel useful, to feel like they have a role in society. And English language courses at community colleges are free to refugees. I don't know about Germany, but I know they're free in Sweden, too.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:30 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,538,990 times
Those of you in Europe... how accurate is the following video? It's done by Vice News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD6L7KezAA4

Here is the Washington Post story about refugees who were just settled near me. No overcrowding, they get their own house.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...a4d_story.html

Old 01-13-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Those of you in Europe... how accurate is the following video? It's done by Vice News

Here is the Washington Post story about refugees who were just settled near me. No overcrowding, they get their own house.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...a4d_story.html
It sounds like they got a house in a derelict neighborhood, surrounded by boarded-up houses. I suppose that's one way to revitalize a neighborhood, but is it safe to live in an area like that? Will the kids get health insurance automatically? It sounds like a couple of them need it--asthma and seizures.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:02 PM

22 posts, read 18,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There are, or have been in the past, single men among Muslims entering the US. But they're able to get jobs fairly quickly. Others in their communities offer them simple jobs so they can get started, or they drive taxicabs. This gives them a means to support themselves at least minimally, and to feel useful, to feel like they have a role in society. And English language courses at community colleges are free to refugees. I don't know about Germany, but I know they're free in Sweden, too.
The number of refugees that enter the US is minute compared to the mass of people that are entering Germany, both the migrant (economic) and refugees. Of course, if Germany would have accepted even one-fifth of the number they receive (about 220 thousand people), they could have managed. If the US suddenly would have had 1.1 million people enter the country, it would be another story.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMFC View Post
The number of refugees that enter the US is minute compared to the mass of people that are entering Germany, both the migrant (economic) and refugees. Of course, if Germany would have accepted even one-fifth of the number they receive (about 220 thousand people), they could have managed. If the US suddenly would have had 1.1 million people enter the country, it would be another story.
True, the current situation is a serious crisis.

The US has a whole other refugee problem it's been contending with for generations; economic refugees/illegal entrants, refugees from wars/violence in Central America, and so forth.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:

There was a very good article on this in the NY Times last Sunday. The columnist said that the reason the Turkish immigrants from decades ago integrated without problems in spite of being Muslim is that there were manageable numbers of them coming in, and that they had time to gradually get used to the culture and fit in over years, decades, even.

Now the numbers are overwhelming, and there hasn't been any time for them to get used to the culture of their adoptive countries. Also, I would say that it makes a big difference, coming in as a guest worker, so there's some guarantee of work and they had legal paperwork, vs. coming in as a desperate and undocumented war refugees or economic refugees. If one has work, one can at least begin the process of fitting in, one has a constructive role in the new country's society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe