Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 12:21 PM

32,116 posts, read 34,753,293 times

Advertisements

Things I missed about home...

Taking each class with the same group of students. In the States, your math class and your history could be composed of totally different people.

More flexible school system. Not as much focus on failing students in the States.

More extra-curriculars in American high schools.

Better television programming. Better movies.

Stores have better hours.

Using the English language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 12:38 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,737,287 times
Are Canadian burgers more like they used to be? Old fashioned burgers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm Canadian but I'll answer anyway.

Things have changed in a lot of countries in Europe over the last 27 years since my first visit so this might not apply as much as before, but what I used to miss was convenience. 24 hour restaurants, 24 hour supermarkets. Bakeries open seven days a week. Banks not closing for lunch as they did in the south. Banks open on Sundays. Department stores open on Sunday. Surprising things like in Amsterdam laundromats closed on Wednesdays…again not sure if that's changed.
Oh, one last thing. It's silly, but a real burger. NOT the fast food type that most Europeans think of as burgers, but you know the type that I have only found in Canada, the U.S. and parts of Mexico. Last trip to Paris, tried on that they claimed was "authentic " American burger….nah…didn't live up to it.
I agree on the Mexican food as well….

It wasn't the end of the world, just took some getting used to and I adjusted fine. The list of things I loved is longer than the things that I missed.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:06 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Are Canadian burgers more like they used to be? Old fashioned burgers?
Burgers in Canada and the US are mostly the same, but yes I'm talking old fashioned burgers but also the amazing array of creative burgers that you find in Canada and the US. Some places in Europe try, but I've yet to have a burger in Europe that comes close to one in North America. ( Yes people I know I shouldn't be eating burgers in Europe….but ya get a craving sometimes ! )
Too many people I've met in Europe only know burgers from Mcdonald's or Burger King type places and think all burgers are created equal.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:04 PM

I love burgers with blue cheese. Mmm!

Quote:
Burgers in Canada and the US are mostly the same, but yes I'm talking old fashioned burgers but also the amazing array of creative burgers that you find in Canada and the US. Some places in Europe try, but I've yet to have a burger in Europe that comes close to one in North America. ( Yes people I know I shouldn't be eating burgers in Europe….but ya get a craving sometimes ! )
Too many people I've met in Europe only know burgers from Mcdonald's or Burger King type places and think all burgers are created equal.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:07 PM

Do they eat it off a spoon as I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
True but my Dutch friends looked at me really strange when I used it in a sandwich with jam.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:10 PM

22 posts, read 40,700 times
As an American with 5 weeks left of my 3 years in Germany, that list is trying to be comical or just not informed.
I will leave off the food items as I have access to the Ramstein AFB commissary. So I can get pretty much everything I want that is available in the States.

1. Not true

3. Ice is available, but refills are not for free in most cases so the locals want to make sure they get the full 250ml, 500ml etc.

4. Available.

5. Netflix is available in the UK, Ireland and I believe Holland. Germany and other countries are getting it this fall. For me I use a VPN so I can stream US sites such as ABC, Fox etc and I use it for Netflix. The good thing using that is I can switch my IP address from Germany to the States for US shows and US Netflix. I can also use a UK address and get different Netflix shows and movies.

6. I drive a car everyday. I am going to miss driving here vs. the States. Much better drivers here in Germany.

8. Get an adapter.

9. Have them

10. Available

11. Have 3G and WiFi is readily available if I am in another country. Quite possibly the dumbest thing on the list.

12. If you are dining at a restaurant or out for drinks they are free. Stopping at a rest stop or gas station and yes it may cost 50 cent.

15. Facepalm

16. See #5

17. Plenty of no smoking areas.

18. Really? Everywhere.

19. I have US TV, but I do miss it.

21. You realize they are different countries, right?

22. Yes there are speedos, just not many

23. Not a big deal now that I am use to it.

25. Heinz is everywhere

26. I have both.

27. Complete BS

29. I do miss this in the house. Probably only need it 15 days a year though so no big deal here.

31. Available.

32. Miss them.

33. Shopping on Sundays would be nice.

35. After using the 1 and 2 euro coin, I like it better than the USD $1 bill.

I do miss having closets and storage space in general, attached 2-3 car garages, good wings and Mexican food, Chicago style pizza, a good burger joint and US craft beer.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:22 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I love burgers with blue cheese. Mmm!
Or this, from a pub in my provinces capital, Victoria.

"IRISH BACON & BRIE BURGER
an Irish Times classic. grilled beef patty topped with Irish bacon and melted brie"

Irish Times Pub - Downtown Victoria BC - Bastion Square

Old 06-19-2014, 03:28 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,438,741 times
The last point is the funniest:
35. The USD
It all comes back to the dollar, dollar bill, y’all. The USD/EUR exchange rate is not in our favor. And all that loose change gets heavy! There are eight different euro coins currently in circulation, as opposed to the four we use in the United States (five, if you include the half-dollar).
Why would anyone miss the USD, a currency? Loose change get's heavy....

Old 06-19-2014, 03:32 PM

omg that sounds soooo good!

Quote:
Or this, from a pub in my provinces capital, Victoria.

"IRISH BACON & BRIE BURGER
an Irish Times classic. grilled beef patty topped with Irish bacon and melted brie"

Irish Times Pub - Downtown Victoria BC - Bastion Square

Old 06-19-2014, 03:33 PM

Okay, am I being picky, or did anyone else miss their own personal beloved brand of toilet paper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe