Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 06:07 AM

9,424 posts, read 14,376,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Peanuts are not nuts. They are legumes. Their name is misleading.

The Peanut Institute - Peanut Facts
I had no clue. Thanks. I just looked it up, fascinating plant.

So, peanuts, lentils, peas, chick peas, beans and then some on the one hand, but also walnuts, almonds, cashews and pistachios on the other.

Folks, I think there is no doubt that the original list in the link is a facetious joke, or at least purposely exaggerated for laughs, and in any case not to be taken too seriously.

It would have been more interesting if posters had provided a more serious list of things missed when relocating from the US to Europe based on personal observations, experiences and priorities, instead of trying to make an objective science out of a joke.

Last edited by bale002; 06-21-2014 at 06:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 06:18 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,271,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Assimilating well, I see!

Did they really? We have screens at home, but I've lived in, uhm, 6 places on my own and not a single one has had screens. Neither have anyone of my girlfriends' flats had them.

Remember chasing out renegade sparrows etc several times from my dwellings.
You must have just lived in really crappy places Actually wait, one place didn't, my student apartment in Tampere didn't have screens but all the other places did (5 different flats and houses)

Old 06-21-2014, 06:33 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,557,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I had no clue. Thanks. I just looked it up, fascinating plant.

So, peanuts, lentils, peas, chick peas, beans and then some on the one hand, but also walnuts, almonds, cashews and pistachios on the other.

Folks, I think there is no doubt that the original list in the link is a facetious joke, or at least purposely exaggerated for laughs, and in any case not to be taken too seriously.

It would have been more interesting if posters had provided a more serious list of things missed when relocating from the US to Europe based on personal observations, experiences and priorities, instead of trying to make an objective science out of a joke.
I did post what I missed. As hard as it is for those in America to believe, I miss VERY little there.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:31 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,501,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
True but my Dutch friends looked at me really strange when I used it in a sandwich with jam.
So how do the Dutch eat their PB?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrannosaurusZack View Post
Haha ohh OP, you should have known you can't talk about anything positive about the US while portraying Europe as equal or less than it. The Europeans and a portion of Americans will always tell you how horrible the US is, and how everything here is terrible, and garbage, and shabby, cheap, tacky, uncultured, so many other disparaging adjectives compared to "Europe."

I've never lived in Europe but my cousin married an English girl, and according to her in the UK peanut butter is extremely rare, and there's almost nothing PB flavored.
I lived in Europe for just shy of a decade, and strangely, I did think of PB first when I read the topic of this thread. Bear in mind though, this was back in the 90s and in Eastern Europe where people would offer to buy the jeans off your body for the equivalent of a months' salary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Bull**** is bull****, whether it´s american or european.
And Europe is not one country.
I'd noticed that many Americans refer to Africa as if it is one solid country, which is mildly annoying at this point. I'm noticing more and more that folks on the Internet are referring to Europe as if it is one big monolithic entity as well - but I think this is useful because it gives a pretty solid indication of that person's lack of experience and knowledge about the continent. Don't you think?
Quote:
I don't understand why anybody should use peanut butter for anything. Tastes foul and destroys the whole sandwich.
It is an acquired taste, like the Norwegian's lutefisk - if you weren't introduced to it as a youngster then it will seem foreign. As I mature, I have shifted my preference from peanut butter to cashew butter and almond butter. Steak tartare seemed like a no-go from the get-go, but with heavy persuasion I finally agreed to try it and how glad I am for pushy people. Sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
Oslo. I fell in love with that place. My husband felt right at home there, which did not happen anywhere else in Europe

Can you recommend a good sushi place in Oslo?And can you tell me the name of the awesome brown cheese that is all over Norway

I don't care about 7-11 when there are Deli DeLucas all over Oslo.
I think the cheese you are referring to is brunost.

My contribution to this thread - I missed very little while living in Europe, because I was there to discover and absorb, not to recreate the US while living abroad. I've always adapted to my environment swimmingly, it helps to have a happy-go-lucky vibe. When I developed a hankering, I improvised with locally sourced items. Fast food restaurants in any country would close shop if they were to rely on my patronage - along with the sweetened carbonated beverage industry.

I don't think AC is particularly good for the human body, so didn't miss that either. The screens on the windows, yes - all sorts of wilderness flies into your home especially in the summer. However, I see this also as a learning experience, because I am now a warrior with any beast, great or small. When others scream out like little girls, I come in with my Wonder Woman cape and kill the intruder like it's nobody's business.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:38 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,750,442 times
Quote:
Tried and didn't like it. I prefer cheese, brie for example.
I love cheese, but there's nothing like peanut butter and chocolate to get me in a great mood.

Quote:
3. Ice is unnecessary <-- NO WAY! Ice is heavenly
13. We have peanut butter. Don't expect to be served it, though. The answer will be "WOT? We not hav dis in Finland. That is Anglo-Saxon crap, perkele!" <--
15. LOL, yes, Finns are reaaaaaally touchy-feely and have no respect for personal space. PS, get out of my face. <-- Oh?
16. Don't like Law & Order <-- You have to like law to like Law & Order
27. In a restaurant you'll always be asked if you want to pay separately. We are, after all, genetically related to the Dutch. <-- Oops! A penny drops and all conversation ceases?
30. What's wrong with a water bottle? Dunno anything more unsanitary than a drinking fountain <-- only if someone gives the drinking fountain a big tongue kiss

Old 06-22-2014, 10:54 AM

168 posts, read 252,001 times
Quote:
Tried and didn't like it. I prefer cheese, brie for example.

Nothing wrong with nuts, I just prefer them au naturel instead of in the form of sweetened peanut butter.

No, growing avocados and olives here would be the worst business idea ever. We import them instead from the Western Roman Empire.

For the actual list and my take on it:

1. Lots of convenience stores here. No, they don't sell pharmacy products, it's against the law and IMO quite stupid
2. Yes, we have diet soda
3. Ice is unnecessary
4. Lots of iced coffee here
5. Finland has netflix
6. You won't survive in the countryside without a car. Heard of Finnish F1 and Rallye world champions? Driving is a national sport here
7. What the hell is froyo? Dunno what it is, so cant miss it
8. Most countries use the universal Europlug
9. Lots of outlets here... and you go there with a car
10. 24/7 drive thru exists, but there's really not a big market for them. My local burger joint closes at 2am on weekdays and 5am on Fri-Sat
11. Wi-Fi everywhere
12. True. No public bathrooms on the streets.
13. We have peanut butter. Don't expect to be served it, though. The answer will be "WOT? We not hav dis in Finland. That is Anglo-Saxon crap, perkele!"
14. And disposable cups as well
15. LOL, yes, Finns are reaaaaaally touchy-feely and have no respect for personal space. PS, get out of my face.
16. Don't like Law & Order
17. Smoking in public spaces is banned in most of Europe. Here as well.
18. Hardly a Finnish city exists where you can't find sushi
19. American football sucks. We have a league, though.
20. Don't care
21. Uhm, totally false. Only US phones don't work
22. Scared of some skin, eh? Join me in the sauna in a moment?
23. Water is free here
24. You'll forget Thanksgiving after one Vappu and Midsummer festival
25. Ketchup is everywhere
26. Household appliances are everywhere
27. In a restaurant you'll always be asked if you want to pay separately. We are, after all, genetically related to the Dutch.
28. Try a Finnish thin pancake fried on a big black pan outside a summer evening, and you'll never touch an american one again http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CiTqxTubrA...ohjaletut3.jpg
29. Public transport without AC is hell in summer. Luckily the summer lasts only for 3 weeks.
30. What's wrong with a water bottle? Dunno anything more unsanitary than a drinking fountain
31. Pizza delivery is a national sport in Finland
32. Birds and insects flying in is annoying. True dat.
33. Stores are usually open to 21:00 and 18:00 on Sundays, grocery stores to 22:00-24:00.
34. Whatever, and finish your porridge
35. Finland isn't a cash economy, only mobsters use cash and envelopes. Neither do we have the 1 and 2 cent coins
I've only been as North as the Netherlands, but the Nordics are someplace that really interests me, and seem like they live pretty well. Every photo I've seen of Finland, has been beautiful, hoping to plan a trip next year.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:34 AM

217 posts, read 278,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
True but my Dutch friends looked at me really strange when I used it in a sandwich with jam.
Yeah that is pretty odd for us, but both things are available so just weird looks shouldnt stop you from eating what you like

Old 06-23-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Do they eat it off a spoon as I do?
Some might, i know i have. We also really like this peanutsauce , i can eat it on everything

Old 06-23-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
So how do the Dutch eat their PB?
Just the way it is, or with this magical stuff: Foreign Grocery Friday: Freaky Deaky Dutch 'Hagelslag' Sprinkles || Jaunted

Theres some mistakes in the article, but well, cant have everything

Old 06-23-2014, 09:56 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,750,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lamb View Post
Just the way it is, or with this magical stuff: Foreign Grocery Friday: Freaky Deaky Dutch 'Hagelslag' Sprinkles || Jaunted

Theres some mistakes in the article, but well, cant have everything
I think if I were going to eat chocolate sprinkles on a piece of bread, I'd roll the bread up like a crepe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe