Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 12:16 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,652,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Nuts in general are a source of high quality fat and protein, a substitute for beef and other meats.

Among nuts, peanuts are the cheapest.

Peanut butter is a cheap, effective, and fun way to get a mass of kids to eat a source of high quality fat and protein, but somewhat offset by the addition of sugar. That's America, for better and for worse.

Other sources of high quality fat are olive oil and avocados.

You grow nuts, avocados and olives in Finland?
Peanuts are not nuts. They are legumes. Their name is misleading.

The Peanut Institute - Peanut Facts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 12:19 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,652,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I don't understand why anybody should use peanut butter for anything. Tastes foul and destroys the whole sandwich.
Some people cheat when making Satay and use peanut butter. Here's a recipe that doesn't

Satay Peanut Sauce Recipe | Easy Asian Recipes at RasaMalaysia.com

Satay is delicious.

Also when I buy peanut butter, I buy the brands that DON'T add sugar. It contains only peanuts.

It is also delicious. If you can find a good peanut butter in your area, try this out. It sounds weird but actually works.

A peanut butter and Iceberg lettuce sandwich.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:28 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,559,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Thai Peanut Sauce on noodles. Mmm!
Yum!

Old 06-20-2014, 12:43 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,753,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
DEFINITELY go to Romania! You'll be glad you did!
I'll do that!

Old 06-20-2014, 12:46 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,693,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Norway:

1. Plenty of 7-Eleven stores here
5. Netflix. Avaliable since 2012. Just use Unblock US to watch American content. I only subscribe one month each year to watch House of Cards.
13. Most grocery stores got peanut butter
15. A lack of personal space will never be an issue in Scandinavia. Ever!
17. Smoking is only allowed outside
18. Sushi is very popular in Oslo. I am not a fan, though.
22. Speedos are uncommon here
25. Ketchup is available everywhere (like McDonald's)
26. Dishwashers and dryers are very common
29. A/C is pointless in Northern Europe. Only cars got 'em.
31. Food delivery (like pizza, Asian, Sushi) is very common
35. I only use my debit card. Cash is for old people.

Oslo. I fell in love with that place. My husband felt right at home there, which did not happen anywhere else in Europe

Can you recommend a good sushi place in Oslo?And can you tell me the name of the awesome brown cheese that is all over Norway

I don't care about 7-11 when there are Deli DeLucas all over Oslo.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:20 PM

27,739 posts, read 28,853,639 times
BTW, my understanding is that most of the homes in the far northern U.S. don't typically have AC either. However, where I live everybody has AC.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:46 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,894,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Okay, try this. Put some peanut butter on a cracker, and some Nutella. Eat. Tastes good.
Tried and didn't like it. I prefer cheese, brie for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Nuts in general are a source of high quality fat and protein, a substitute for beef and other meats.

Among nuts, peanuts are the cheapest.

Peanut butter is a cheap, effective, and fun way to get a mass of kids to eat a source of high quality fat and protein, but somewhat offset by the addition of sugar. That's America, for better and for worse.

Other sources of high quality fat are olive oil and avocados.

You grow nuts, avocados and olives in Finland?
Nothing wrong with nuts, I just prefer them au naturel instead of in the form of sweetened peanut butter.

No, growing avocados and olives here would be the worst business idea ever. We import them instead from the Western Roman Empire.

For the actual list and my take on it:

1. Lots of convenience stores here. No, they don't sell pharmacy products, it's against the law and IMO quite stupid
2. Yes, we have diet soda
3. Ice is unnecessary
4. Lots of iced coffee here
5. Finland has netflix
6. You won't survive in the countryside without a car. Heard of Finnish F1 and Rallye world champions? Driving is a national sport here
7. What the hell is froyo? Dunno what it is, so cant miss it
8. Most countries use the universal Europlug
9. Lots of outlets here... and you go there with a car
10. 24/7 drive thru exists, but there's really not a big market for them. My local burger joint closes at 2am on weekdays and 5am on Fri-Sat
11. Wi-Fi everywhere
12. True. No public bathrooms on the streets.
13. We have peanut butter. Don't expect to be served it, though. The answer will be "WOT? We not hav dis in Finland. That is Anglo-Saxon crap, perkele!"
14. And disposable cups as well
15. LOL, yes, Finns are reaaaaaally touchy-feely and have no respect for personal space. PS, get out of my face.
16. Don't like Law & Order
17. Smoking in public spaces is banned in most of Europe. Here as well.
18. Hardly a Finnish city exists where you can't find sushi
19. American football sucks. We have a league, though.
20. Don't care
21. Uhm, totally false. Only US phones don't work
22. Scared of some skin, eh? Join me in the sauna in a moment?
23. Water is free here
24. You'll forget Thanksgiving after one Vappu and Midsummer festival
25. Ketchup is everywhere
26. Household appliances are everywhere
27. In a restaurant you'll always be asked if you want to pay separately. We are, after all, genetically related to the Dutch.
28. Try a Finnish thin pancake fried on a big black pan outside a summer evening, and you'll never touch an american one again http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CiTqxTubrA...ohjaletut3.jpg
29. Public transport without AC is hell in summer. Luckily the summer lasts only for 3 weeks.
30. What's wrong with a water bottle? Dunno anything more unsanitary than a drinking fountain
31. Pizza delivery is a national sport in Finland
32. Birds and insects flying in is annoying. True dat.
33. Stores are usually open to 21:00 and 18:00 on Sundays, grocery stores to 22:00-24:00.
34. Whatever, and finish your porridge
35. Finland isn't a cash economy, only mobsters use cash and envelopes. Neither do we have the 1 and 2 cent coins

Last edited by Ariete; 06-21-2014 at 12:58 AM..

Old 06-21-2014, 02:59 AM

102,310 posts, read 108,488,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Tried and didn't like it. I prefer cheese, brie for example.

Nothing wrong with nuts, I just prefer them au naturel instead of in the form of sweetened peanut butter.
Most peanut butter isn't sweetened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete;
28. Try a Finnish thin pancake fried on a big black pan outside a summer evening, and you'll never touch an american one again http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CiTqxTubrA...ohjaletut3.jpg
These are popular in Russia, too. Best stuffed with "farmer's cheese" (tvorog) and black currant or raspberry jam, and topped with sour cream. American pancakes can't compare.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:19 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,275,464 times
Urgh peanut butter

There's at least one free public toilet in Tampere, I bet other places have them too, and big shops often have free toilets too.

All the places I've lived here have mosquito screens on the windows (nearly all of them had tears in though *sigh*)

Old 06-21-2014, 05:40 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,894,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Urgh peanut butter

There's at least one free public toilet in Tampere, I bet other places have them too, and big shops often have free toilets too.

All the places I've lived here have mosquito screens on the windows (nearly all of them had tears in though *sigh*)
Assimilating well, I see!

Did they really? We have screens at home, but I've lived in, uhm, 6 places on my own and not a single one has had screens. Neither have anyone of my girlfriends' flats had them.

Remember chasing out renegade sparrows etc several times from my dwellings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe