Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 08:00 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times

Advertisements

Is IBIZA as hedonistic as people make it sound to be?

I've never been to Ibiza. But for some reason, it sounds like Europe's Spring Break...mostly for college students who can't control their alcohol very well, or like Australia's 'Bali' where again the young kids go off to mess up someone else's back yard.

However, without having been to Ibiza. Am I completely wrong about that? If I am wrong about it, what is it really like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 09:02 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,489,409 times
I haven't been there either but I am not atracted, I have many fligths per day to that island but it doesn't catch my attention, prpbably just for beach tourism. I know some people that have been there and most of them were drunk almost all the time, famous for discos and hard parties, disco entries cost around 80€ and so on... It is also known as the hippy island as well.

My aunt and uncle are retired and went there for a vacation to visit the island and do healthy tourism, they say the landscapes and beaches are awesome, it is a shame that it is only known for the party.

The cheap version of Ibiza could be maybe Magaluf or Lloret de Mar.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:19 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,094,084 times
Never been to Ibiza yet but from what I heard, it is the party capital of the world.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:17 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,877,240 times
It used to be hedonistic (as a young guy in 1975 I smoked dope there I experienced sex for the first time whereas in my country -France- girls at that time were too shy and uptight). You could be naked on the beach, and girls were splendid back them (many all-natural chicks, long -haired, breasts bare, suntanned).There was (I still it still exists) a hippie market nortwest of Ibiza city. No need to have a lot of money back then (I slept in a tent and ate at cheap restaurants). Now it has become a noisy, polluted package tour/clubbing/hard drugs/booze/blingbling destination, where botoxed plastic dolls show up with their skinhead tattoed boyfriends. I'm actually happy that I was 20 in 1975, not in 2014. And sure as hell I won't go back to that doomed island, ever.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:32 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,031,690 times
Swinger's paradise??

Old 07-29-2014, 07:15 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
No, OP. The hedonism is just in isolated parts of the island, mostly around the principal town where all the clubs are. The rest of the island just has regular vacationers, retirees, and locals just living their lives. The whole island is not one big drug induced, orgy fest

Old 07-30-2014, 03:02 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,080,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is IBIZA as hedonistic as people make it sound to be?

I've never been to Ibiza. But for some reason, it sounds like Europe's Spring Break...mostly for college students who can't control their alcohol very well, or like Australia's 'Bali' where again the young kids go off to mess up someone else's back yard.

However, without having been to Ibiza. Am I completely wrong about that? If I am wrong about it, what is it really like?

It used to be a "Hippy Paradise" for rich hippies back in the 60's, lots of dope, LSD, their own fashion, a place were the irreverent childs of rich/high middle class mixed.

Then came massification and Ibiza was divided in two, Ibiza for "springbreakers" with their discos, pills, etc, and Ibiza for the "connoisseurs", people with properties, yachts in their marinas, exclusive clubs, exclusive towns with "faux peasants" playing the flute and making expensive cheese probably brought from someplace else. Everithing very "faux bucholic".

Old 08-02-2014, 09:15 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,068,175 times
My niece is a DJ and she keeps getting invited to DJ at the clubs there, and few in Dubai as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe