Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 07:14 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,085,932 times

Advertisements

Citing Italy is also a pretty bad example, since southern Italy particulary is one of the most corrupt places in Europe.

How could you possibly compare Romania with Italy?
Really, you should compare Romania with Ukraine, Turkey or Moldavia and not with first world countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 08:11 AM

319 posts, read 396,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Citing Italy is also a pretty bad example, since southern Italy particulary is one of the most corrupt places in Europe.

How could you possibly compare Romania with Italy?
Really, you should compare Romania with Ukraine, Turkey or Moldavia and not with first world countries.
I was talking specifically about corruption. And why are you grouping Turkey with those countries? It is clearly more developed than them. I'm guessing that by "Moldavia" you mean Moldova.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:32 AM

659 posts, read 943,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofi32 View Post
Sabiya, why do you want to go to Romania? Spain's economy might not be good right now but it has way better infrastructure and less poverty than Romania
Romania is my family's home country, my parents were born there, my cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc. were all born there. In fact, only those that are below the age of 35 in my family were born somewhere else other than Romania (here and Canada for example).

I lived in Romania for two years, and other than some Romanians charging my parents triple for everything because they thought we were rich Americans or snobby and stuck up, I had a wonderful time there. People's misconceptions can change over time, my Romanian friends that I've met online are only jealous of Americans because of their perceived advanced medical technology. But when I told them that it costs an arm and a leg to pay for medical stuff and surgeries even WITH insurance.... they definitely changed their tune haha.

Overall, I would say that my friends' quality of life in Romania is tons better than my quality of life here in the USA. Especially when it comes to education and work/life balance. However, I'm pretty sure all of Europe is better than North America when it comes to quality of life any how .

I am not moving to Romania or Spain to put up roots and live forever, my husband and I have severe wanderlust. We agreed that when we move abroad, we'd stay there for 5 years... 10 years maximum before we go on our next adventure to some other country in a different continent

Old 10-05-2014, 03:20 AM

9,440 posts, read 14,391,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
Romania is my family's home country, my parents were born there, my cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc. were all born there. In fact, only those that are below the age of 35 in my family were born somewhere else other than Romania (here and Canada for example).

I lived in Romania for two years, and other than some Romanians charging my parents triple for everything because they thought we were rich Americans or snobby and stuck up, I had a wonderful time there. People's misconceptions can change over time, my Romanian friends that I've met online are only jealous of Americans because of their perceived advanced medical technology. But when I told them that it costs an arm and a leg to pay for medical stuff and surgeries even WITH insurance.... they definitely changed their tune haha.

Overall, I would say that my friends' quality of life in Romania is tons better than my quality of life here in the USA. Especially when it comes to education and work/life balance. However, I'm pretty sure all of Europe is better than North America when it comes to quality of life any how .

I am not moving to Romania or Spain to put up roots and live forever, my husband and I have severe wanderlust. We agreed that when we move abroad, we'd stay there for 5 years... 10 years maximum before we go on our next adventure to some other country in a different continent
I understand that sometimes family, or the illusion of family, as well as the quality of life, or the illusion of the quality of life, trumps everything else.

But 5-10 years should be long enough to trump any illusions.

Nonetheless, your plan could work out if you do not plan on having any children and/or setting yourself up in your own business.

But, sometimes, man plans (or doesn't plan) and God laughs.

Good Luck!

Old 10-05-2014, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPATHIAN View Post
Most of those doing this don't want to trash, they really believe Romania is that bad (when in fact is the opposite, is better than most other European countries). This is the result of some misinforming tv documentaries and reportages in the 1990s, combined with how some Romanian citizens behave abroad (both Romanian and Roma ethnics), against the background of total lack of knowledge about the country and of them (the prejudiced foreigners) being superficial, not very smart individuals.

During the communist period, people used to steal from the factories they worked in, but crime against individual property and person was very low. After communism, it was a little increase in crime, organized groups appeared (mostly Roma) but their activities were not making big fuss, perhaps because we don't have immigrants which would create a fragmented society.

Romania is much better that the decadent west packed with crime and corruption. Romania is a magnificent country and the "spiritual reserve" of the world. Romania is different because the country has a different "ETHOS". Some bad Romanians misinform about the country because they are evil...bla..bla...

Franco used to say exactly the same idiotic things about Spain 40 years ago, so I guess that Romania is now in the year 1974.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:49 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,573,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Romania is much better that the decadent west packed with crime and corruption.
I didn't say this. Crime is higher in west but is not decadent, is just at least in last decades it became a little depressed.
Quote:
Romania is a magnificent country and the "spiritual reserve" of the world.
The nature and culture is magnificent, that is what people who visited it say. I created that picture thread, have you visited it? It will be lot of breathtaking pictures of breathtaking places so to make a realistic opinion about Romania, check it often.

Quote:
Romania is different because the country has a different "ETHOS"
I refered to our ethos in two circumstances, once saying that we're less violent than the West. This is because of the Orthodox religion, which in its phylosophy and practice was more mystical and less expansionist than the Catholic Church, leading to more 'dormant' mentalities.

Other time I refered to our ethos as result of accumulation of experiences of countless nations and cultures that passed over our territory over millenia, saying is more sophisticated for this reason. If you would know a little history (which obviously you don't) you would know that most migrations from Eurasia toward western and southern Europe passed through Romania and for that reason whast I've said is not exageration.

Quote:
Some bad Romanians misinform about the country because they are evil...bla..bla...
That is from you.

Quote:
Franco used to say exactly the same idiotic things about Spain 40 years ago, so I guess that Romania is now in the year 1974.
Fact is, in each domain or aspect, some countries will always be better than others. I didn't say Romania has a better economy, infrastructure, education or human quality, because it doesn't. I refered to what we are good / best at.

You seem to reject any positive thing about Romania only because you assume that if there was something good about this country, there wasn't such a general bad opinion about it. And the reality is that some years ago situation was really bad, but things change fastly and the differences between "first world" and "second world" are becoming smaller, not only in Romania but also in other former communist countries. At present, Romania has no more the communist, decrepit atmosphere and look but one of a young, dynamic, enthusiast country, with decent infrastructure, people having more and more money etc.

In this last message you made a failed tentative to compromise me, manipulating people, attributing me things I didn't say or believe.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:55 AM

What I reject is that you people keep comparing pears with apples, and that you are using the old fascist/communist technique of putting down countries that have no relationship whatsoever with Romania to defend your cause, Pravda's poshlost.

What is really maddening is that one of the Romanian staltwarts accused Italy if being a place packed with criminals, when most criminals are Romanian.

You should compare Romania with a similar country, Moldava, Transdnieper, Ukraine.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:44 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,573,706 times
Quote:
What I reject is that you people keep comparing pears with apples, and that you are using the old fascist/communist technique of putting down countries that have no relationship whatsoever with Romania to defend your cause, Pravda's poshlost.
You call others fascists in the same message in which you say some countries are by definition inferior and should not be compared with others.

Ofcourse comparisons can be made between every category of countries, even between the most developed and the most underdeveloped. Making a comparison doesn't mean we state they are equal in the aspects the analysis is made. The fact that you fear such comparions, on the other hand, is a sign that you feel insecure about the very thing you defense, the pretended western superiority.

Quote:
What is really maddening is that one of the Romanian staltwarts accused Italy if being a place packed with criminals, when most criminals are Romanian.
So Mafia is Romanian?

To say most criminals are Romanian is a lie, even if you refer to crime by ethnic group, because it sounds like the majority of criminals are Romanians, which is false. Is true that among ethnic groups, Romanians commit the most crimes, but they are the most numerous ethnic group after Italians and the percentage of crime / immigrant is lower for Romanians than for other ethnic (immigrant) groups in Italy, like Moroccans:

52% of Rapes in Rome Committed by Immigrants, 59% in Milan, 40% in Italy | FrontPage Magazine

Old 10-08-2014, 11:15 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,911,943 times
Why not both?

Old 10-09-2014, 03:08 PM

Most Romanians..also Bosnians. There are so many and they are so prevalent than they paled other ethnicities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe