Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 05:58 AM

595 posts, read 721,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
The concept of Spain as a nation-state with a central capital, Toletum, was created by the Visigothic Monarchy duting the 5th century. Modern Spain was born in 1492 with the federation of Castile and Aragon.The concept of Hispania as a Roman province is much older, and the concept of Iberia..from the Everus river is Phoenician. The first city in the west of Europe was Spanish, Cadiz, founded by Phoenicians 3000 years ago. In 1715 the only thing that happened was that Spain changed from the Spanish Hapsburgs to the Bourbon dinasty..the royal house, not the whiskey after the sucession war.
The concept of Spain according to the Visigothic Monarchy was the entire Iberian Peninsula, without the Canary and the Balearic islands. Just as during the Habsburgs, to Spanish rulers Spain was the entire peninsula, a Portuguese was as Spanish as a Castillian, the title of king of Spain didn't exist, it was King of the Espanas because was the sovereign of the various Spanish kingdoms and principalities. That idea changed with the Bourbon dynasty.
The concept of Spain as the state it is nowadays did not appear until the Constitution of 1812.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 09:45 AM

400 posts, read 423,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
I doubt that people from Maryland think that about Spain..but now..an immigrant from Canada..that's third world..if not the economy..their people...and envious as hell. What are you doing there? you people hate and envy the US.
How would you, a spaniard, know anything about the people of my country? And we don't hate the US so much as we'd sometimes prefer to take a chart differing courses in many social and economic policies yet our proximity to the US makes that a difficult thing to pull off, so I guess that can breed a little frustration sometimes, . Envy..yeah, I'll give you that.

I liked Spain when I was there in '93 and '98 but I would hardly say that I saw anything during my travels that would have suggested to me that it was in any way more advanced than Canada...no way.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:52 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,083,756 times
It was Spain, the Spanish confederacy founded in 1492.
But since America was discovered by Castile, paid with Castilian funds and with ships departing from Castilian harbours, America belonged to Castile, New Castile.
Any Spanish could trade or go to America, but chartering ships from Castilian harbours.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
How would you, a spaniard, know anything about the people of my country? And we don't hate the US so much as we'd sometimes prefer to take a chart differing courses in many social and economic policies yet our proximity to the US makes that a difficult thing to pull off, so I guess that can breed a little frustration sometimes, . Envy..yeah, I'll give you that.

I liked Spain when I was there in '93 and '98 but I would hardly say that I saw anything during my travels that would have suggested to me that it was in any way more advanced than Canada...no way.

You have never been to Europe, and I have seen Canadians, always envious and putting down Americans.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
The concept of Spain according to the Visigothic Monarchy was the entire Iberian Peninsula, without the Canary and the Balearic islands. Just as during the Habsburgs, to Spanish rulers Spain was the entire peninsula, a Portuguese was as Spanish as a Castillian, the title of king of Spain didn't exist, it was King of the Espanas because was the sovereign of the various Spanish kingdoms and principalities. That idea changed with the Bourbon dynasty.
The concept of Spain as the state it is nowadays did not appear until the Constitution of 1812.

King of España since 1492 when Castile and Aragon formed a federation. There were no Spanish kingdoms from 1492 onwards since there was only one king. Different FORMER kingdoms had different former "laws" or "fueros", but they were part of the Spanish federation.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:37 AM

342 posts, read 512,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
There was a kingdom of Spain since the late 1400's. That's why every map and historian ever refers to it as the Kindgom of Spain. Not Castile, not Aragon, but Spain. That's why Mexico was part of the Spanish Empire, not the Castilian Empire. This has to be the dumbest revision of history ever.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:40 AM

342 posts, read 512,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post

Don't worry Misere is as his name suggests miserable. Spain is a relatively poor and backwards country compared to Canada. That's why so many Spaniards want to immigrate to Canada. Canada is richer, more advanced and overall superiour in every on every scale. The Spanish wish they were French and try very hard. I don't even really consider Spain a first world country. Spain and Portugual are more second world countries. Modern countries like France, UK, Germany and even Italy should kick Spain out of the EU.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
There was a kingdom of Spain since the late 1400's.
No, there wasn't.

Quote:
That's why every map and historian ever refers to it as the Kindgom of Spain. Not Castile, not Aragon, but Spain.
If you use Wikipedia as a reference it's your problem.

Quote:
That's why Mexico was part of the Spanish Empire, not the Castilian Empire.

Mexico was part of the Spanish Empire because Castille was part of the Hispanic Crown, aka the Iberian Peninsula, not because the nonexistent kingdom of Spain.

Quote:
This has to be the dumbest revision of history ever.
Coming from someone who said that Spain was formed in late 1400's and that Spain conquered Peru and colonized Argentina I can only see it as a compliment, so thank you.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:33 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,870,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I realize the peninsula has a long history with many kingdoms, but the concept of a Kingdom of Spain with roughly the present boundaries is pretty much goes back to 1492-1516.

The 60 year Iberian Union (1580-1640) didn't really end the concept of Spain and Portugal as separate nations.
Yes exactly. Unfortunately some are invested in revising history.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Yes exactly. Unfortunately some are invested in revising history.
Knowing the difference between the Spanish state, the Spanish crown and the Spanish Empire is historical revisionism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe