Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 03:19 AM

121 posts, read 389,310 times

Advertisements

There is no "western" culture or phenotype. That's nonsense spread by self hating Iberians.

@Frenchuser how can Iberia be the center of the European culture when it was under non European occupation for most of its history? The non European cultural and genetic influences in Iberia are massive. Think about the Phoenicians, the Moors and the Sephardi Jews for example.

Moreover Iberia has barely produced any significant figures for the European culture. If we excludes the Jews, then England, France, Italy and Germany, in that order, are the centers of the European culture and so the world one.

Please read Charles Murray's book Human Accomplishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 04:21 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,741,740 times
Conversations about ethnicity are prohibited on this thread.

Last edited by Rozenn; 10-12-2014 at 09:09 AM..

Old 10-20-2014, 04:39 AM

76 posts, read 97,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Look at this thread. You are arguing with people who are basing what they're saying on shallow things like outward physical appearance. They're different because they don't look the same. Everything you're saying makes sense but you can't argue with that kind of ignorance.

And the saddest thing is that the entity has never been to Europe, and I would bet that never has ventured out of some farm in Middle America...and you find the entity discussing with French people or with people that know those coiuntries.

I remember that the entity said once that France was a Germanic country and that Napoleon coined the phrase "Mare Nostrum", or that Vikings were from France, really....if they hire people like that in the CIA or in any responsible organization....

Once the entity posted his pic and he looked sort of caucasic from Abjasia, he looked like Beria but with hair..maybe all the problem all comes from that, he's sort of Abjasian that wants to be aryan.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:14 PM

50 posts, read 108,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo vidal View Post
The division between Germanic and Latin is only political and not ethnocultural. For example up to 60% of English words are of Romance origin.

English language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the other hand French is the least conservative and the most Celto Germanic influenced latin language.

The degrees of evolution of the Romance languages with respect to the ancestral Latin were found to be as follows.

Sardinian: 8%;
Italian: 12%;
Spanish: 20%;
Romanian: 23.5%;
Occitan: 25%;
Portuguese: 31%;
French: 44%.

Classification of Romance languages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you can see, almost half of the French language does not derive from latin, but rather from various Celto-Germanic borrowing. Any question?
It was saying phonetic evolution plus the French grammar is nearly the same as other Romance languages.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:45 AM

76 posts, read 97,738 times
As you can see, almost half of the French language does not derive from latin, but rather from various Celto-Germanic borrowing. Any question?

The text above is the most idiotic and ignorant writing I have ever seen in City Data.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:13 AM

109 posts, read 144,426 times
As a French native living in Strasbourg (Alsace), I'll just give my point of view that is NOT based on history, geography and whatever else. Just my opinion, my feeling.

As an Alsatian, I feel closer to Germany, and not only geographically. Our mentality is closer to the Germans's than to the French. We often joke about wanting to be annexed to the Bade Wurtemberg rather than to Lorraine (in the recent project of fusioning different regions). A lot of Alsatians also say "We're not French, we're Alsatians..." The dialect is a German dialect. I can go to Germany whenever I want, I live just a few minutes away.

People of the South can do the same with Spain. I see the south of France as being more Latin than the rest of the country. Again, their mentality, the way they work and live seems closer to the Latin countries for us, Alsatians and Northerners.

So I'd say Alsace has more in common with Germany. South has more in common with Spain. The rest of the country is French.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:53 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,907,307 times
France has many cultural elements and commonalities with Spain and Germany that are intertwined, overlapping, and intersect

Old 10-25-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I am not from Spain, far from it in fact; I am just very direct so often people assume I am being defensive!

Germany is 50% catholic but it is not a latin-European nation like France, Portugal, Italy or Spain... Germany is Germanic.

The problem here lies in the fact that France is diverse enough and you cannot define it as if if was just black or white, there is too much diversity inside it to simplify it and water it down so that we can asnwer the question the thread creator asks!
Germany is Teutonic and Germanic!

Old 10-25-2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Thereil is a much sharper division on the Pyrennes than on the Rhine for sure. At least when it comes to pigmentation. A map of light eyes frequency by Topinard.

Look how areas bordering Germany, Italy and Belgium are extremely light compared to other areas.
We can't forget the French overseas departments (departments d'outres mers) which are all also integral parts of the Republic of France/French Republic

Old 10-26-2014, 06:06 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,434,323 times
Quote:
There is no "western" culture or phenotype. That's nonsense spread by self hating Iberians.

@Frenchuser how can Iberia be the center of the European culture when it was under non European occupation for most of its history? The non European cultural and genetic influences in Iberia are massive. Think about the Phoenicians, the Moors and the Sephardi Jews for example.

Moreover Iberia has barely produced any significant figures for the European culture. If we excludes the Jews, then England, France, Italy and Germany, in that order, are the centers of the European culture and so the world one.

Please read Charles Murray's book Human Accomplishment.
You mean racist, sexist, "white nationalist" "libertarian" ideologist Charles Murray? Is that where you get your worldview from? And you have the arrogance and ignorance of trying to shed light on us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe