Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 08:17 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,253,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I didn't want to start a polemic. Just pointing out to Maks that North America's Native people's weren't wiped out. That's all.
Ok, thank you, you're right. The word "destroyed" is not quite right for the situation. But I think that the American colonization took place more severely than the colonization of the Russian land. And this means that the problems of with the indigenous population is less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 08:30 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,845,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Ok, thank you, you're right. The word "destroyed" is not quite right for the situation. But I think that the American colonization took place more severely than the colonization of the Russian land. And this means that the problems of with the indigenous population is less.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:27 PM

102,240 posts, read 108,130,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I think there are many reasons. Look at the map.

http://storage2.static.itmages.ru/i/...7e9efa081b.jpg

ISIS:

http://islamreview.ru/files/news/par...-500-isis2.jpg

ISIS is the organization that can only fight. ISIS can not exist without wars. Iraq was destroyed as a secular state, there is a war. Afghanistan is also ready for this, there are bands that are subject to ISIS. What will happen if Syria falls? Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Qatar can not be targets for ISIS, since these countries have a business with terrorists. The objectives of the terrorists will be the destruction of Iran. After the formation of the chain Syria - Iraq - Iran - Afghanistan terrorists will start military campaign in the north. Caucasus, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan is the Muslim country.

The Caucasus is very unstable region. Since the time of the war in Chechnya terrorists have ties in this region. The post-Soviet Central Asian countries - is a powder keg. Many of the disputed territories (for example, the Fergana Valley), large number of poor, radical Islam, weak protection of state borders - this is a good nutrient broth for terrorists.

The next step is Kazakhstan, also the Islamic state. Kazakhstan has several thousand kilometers of the state border with Russia. If Russia does not want problems on its borders, Russia must destroy ISIS and all the groups that collaborate with ISIS. It is a question of survival of the country and Russia will do it in spite of the sanctions of the Western world.

Israel has borders with Syria, Russia is doing a lot of combat missions in Syria. During the combat missions, Turkey was hit by the Russian jet. But Israel and Russia have no such problems. Despite the fact that Russia is cooperating with Iran, which supports the enemies of Israel (the Hezbollah). Netanyahu and Putin can to agree and each party are respecting the agreements.

Russia (and Putin) also are deciding in Syria other tasks.

Trying to keep the United Nations as a real organization. Since the bombing of Serbia, NATO acts without UN resolutions. If this is not stopped, then the question of a new World War - is a matter of time. Sooner or later, Russia and United States enter into direct combat contact. Only a collective decision in the UN Security Council can end the chaos.

Also, Syria is very longtime Russian ally. Russia must protect Russian allies.

Also, Russia is testing new weapons. Demonstrations to potential buyers.

Also, Putin is using the war to strengthen propaganda.
Thanks for all this, Maks. Sorry I've delayed in getting back to you on this. The "powder keg" aspect is certainly helpful for understanding Russia's concerns, along with the "what happens if Syria fails?" comment.

Still, Syria's current regime has been oppressive toward its own people, bombing indiscriminately, targeting innocent citizens, not only ISIS. Which is why there's a refugee crisis in Europe now. And yesterday on the news there was a report about Russia committing "war crimes". It was not 100% clear what that was about, but it was said in the context of a school being bombed yesterday, with many children dying, and more--wounded. But no one stated whether this was Assad's work, or Russia's. However, the "war crimes" issue came up in the UN yesterday, according to the report.

And btw, this was not a corporatist news source, it was independent radio, National Public Radio, which is a very good and reliable "alternative" news source that specializes in investigative journalism into all manner of scandals, including US gov't ones. It is not a propaganda source. The discussion quickly broadened to the situation in Syria overall, and whether anyone at all should be intervening there. That was interesting. I have no idea what the other media outlets were reporting. I don't watch TV. Maybe it will be in today's newspapers. But this isn't my point at all.

To back up a little, is Russia supporting Syria, thinking that any stability is better than the resulting chaos if the regime were to collapse? If so, it wouldn't be the first time a country has supported a repressive regime for the sake of stability, *ahem*, not to mention any historical examples in particular, of which there were many during the Cold War. I'm just trying to clarify Russia's rationale.

As for "war crimes", it wouldn't be the first time a country hit innocent citizens and children while trying to fight rebels in the region, *cough cough*, not to mention any country in particular.

Anyway, it's a mess. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of the situation. Thank you for your help.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-28-2016 at 02:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe