Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 07:46 AM

990 posts, read 1,944,855 times

Advertisements

In late December I have booked the cruise ferry from Copenhagen to Oslo a couple of days before Christmas. The ferry stays for approx. only 6 hours, from 10:00 to 16:30. It arrives in the Oslo Ferry Port which is pretty much in downtown with walking to distance to places such as Akershus Fortress, Aker Brygge, the Royal Castle, the Opera House and Karl Johans gate. As 6 hours is a fairly short time, are there any particular activities you recommend thats worth the time? Any eating place besides MAX and McDonalds that has reasonable prices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 08:10 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,689,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
In late December I have booked the cruise ferry from Copenhagen to Oslo a couple of days before Christmas. The ferry stays for approx. only 6 hours, from 10:00 to 16:30. It arrives in the Oslo Ferry Port which is pretty much in downtown with walking to distance to places such as Akershus Fortress, Aker Brygge, the Royal Castle, the Opera House and Karl Johans gate. As 6 hours is a fairly short time, are there any particular activities you recommend thats worth the time? Any eating place besides MAX and McDonalds that has reasonable prices?
OSlo is very small and walkable. You could probably walk to all of those placed. We really liked Akershus fortress. IT's very close to the Royal Castle. We had a(good) semi expensive indian meal and a pizza at Pepe's Pizza.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:08 AM

The Viking Museum would be interesting, is that within walking distance of downtown?

Old 11-24-2014, 10:21 AM

221 posts, read 343,612 times
Quote:
The Viking Museum would be interesting, is that within walking distance of downtown?
Not really. It is at Bygdøy a bit outside the city centre. For information about Oslo, I recommend this site:

Oslo, Norge - Offisiell reiseguide

Old 11-24-2014, 12:39 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
I have walked to Bygdøy from Aker brygge/Karl Johan several times. It is about an hour walk, maybe 4-5 km. Most will take a ferry or drive which is what you want to do if you only have 6 hours. If you do go there is more than Vikingskip museum. The Fram museum is very interesting as well.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:44 PM

16 posts, read 24,257 times
Don't forget to see Holmenkollen (easy to get to by the metro). Also don't miss out on the chance to walk on top of the opera house!

Old 11-24-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I have walked to Bygdøy from Aker brygge/Karl Johan several times. It is about an hour walk, maybe 4-5 km. Most will take a ferry or drive which is what you want to do if you only have 6 hours. If you do go there is more than Vikingskip museum. The Fram museum is very interesting as well.
When and where do the ferries to Bygdøy depart?

Old 11-24-2014, 11:18 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Quote:
When and where do the ferries to Bygdøy depart?
From Aker Brygge right south of rådhuset. There is a sign, it is east to find. I don't know the times but I am sure it is a couple of times an hour.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:51 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,192,804 times
Just take bus route 30 from RÃ¥dhuset (City Hall). It is just 15 minutes to Vikingskiphuset (museum). I would recommend visiting Tjuvholmen. It is a nice area connected to Aker Brygge.

Holmenkollen is 35 minutes (one way) by metro (incl walking from Holmenkollen metro station) from Nationaltheatret (3-4 min walk from RÃ¥dhuset).

Norway and reasonable prices? Forget it :-p The cheaper restaurants are not located around Karl Johan or Aker Brygge.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:36 AM

Then I certainly think I can rule out Holmenkollen if its more than 1 hour of travelling combined, as the stay is only for 6 hours. Would be great if DFDS could have their ferries stay a bit longer, 6 hours is very short and staying overnight in downtown Oslo is probably not affordable, besides its already booked and payed. I will visit Akershus Fortress and the Opera House for sure, is the roof open to public access all time of the year? Will probably also visit the Viking Ship Museum if its not too troublesome to get there without walking.

By the way just looked up Peppe's Pizza and the prices there looks okay, and if Jensens Bøfhus has the same prices as in Denmark that would be okay too. Quality food is not a requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe